• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Why do Caffeine and Gabapentin potentiate each other so?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
You'd think a stimulant and a sedative would diminish or "cancel out" each others effects, but with Gabapentin and Caffeine both are potentiated and the potentiation is SIGNIFICANT. Anybody understand why?

I don;t get this effect :( maybe it's limited to gabapentin?
I'm right now on 1.2g pregabalin + 1 coffee and 2 green teas and it's just like the usual effects from pregab + some stimulation.

Gabapentins are strange drugs indeed. In high dosages pregabalin becomes a stimulant, inhibiting the glutamate transporter GLT-1, and if overdosed one can get seizures but I guess with gabapentn this is limited .

Last edited:
what exactly are you drinking? or are you using caffeine pills? all caffeine does with gabapentin is (likely) reduce the anticonvulsant properties. if it's just coffee or pills, then i dont really have an answer. it just gets you higher. if it's some kind of energy drink that contains taurine or something similar, that could be what is causing some of it because taurine is a gabaergic. energy drinks like those are actually best imo for potentiating gabapentin because they reduce the risk of seizures, shaking, and muscle spasms the most, and you have multiple substances impacting the high.

I love coffee and any gabapetinoid. Even with benzos. Not sure about the scientific of how and why but from personal experience it works for me.
Issue is we all the same just different. Hahaha

Tbh I haven’t felt anything from these two combined (although I’m talking about Pregabalin and Coffee).

I'm not familiar with gabapentin, but caffeine definitely "potentiates" phenibut which is also a gabapentinoid.

I'm not sure potentiate is the right word, though, more like complimentary to each other.

But I could say this about most upper + downer combinations. They seem to compliment each other and also cancel out the negatives of each other. Maybe that's just my polyaddiction talking.. not sure.

This is just complete speculation, but maybe it is possible that caffeine speeds up the metabolism production of the gabapentin. Personally speaking, I love drinking coffee while on gabapentoids and benzos, tho I can't honestly say that I've experienced a potentiation beyond just feeling really groovy.