• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Why does Lexapro wont make you high?

Byzek

Bluelighter
Lexapro inhibits the reuptake of serotonin so serotoninconcentration increases.

ADHD meds do the same they increase dopamineconcentration with reuptake inhibition.

I use 5-htp which is tje precursor of serotonin sometimes as a drug i take a large amount and get high 🤷‍♂️

So why does lexapro do nothing?

Maybe the mind and brain are more complicated

I hear some people really struggle to stop lexapro, no better than a placebo. 5HTP 50-100mg safer & better taken at bedtime lightly sedating

Last edited:
It's much more complicated than just releasing or inhibiting a single neurotransmitter. If you want a more in depth explanation you might find someone who can give you a break down in the Neuroscience and Pharmacology subforum

Lexapro inhibits the reuptake of serotonin so serotoninconcentration increases.

ADHD meds do the same they increase dopamineconcentration with reuptake inhibition.

I use 5-htp which is tje precursor of serotonin sometimes as a drug i take a large amount and get high 🤷‍♂️

So why does lexapro do nothing?

In the immediate, that's what happens. But the activation of transcription factors via second-messenger GPCR activity, likely due to a lessened release of serotonin, is the main antidepressant mechanism.

Dopamine works differently. Still GPCRs (almost without exception in serotonin receptors, too), but DRIs don't produce this robust antidepressant effect. One would surmise that this GPCR activity is more related to opening ion channels than triggering that second messenger system.

5-HTP can lead to a mood lift. But increasing aggregate serotonin is not the same as inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin. There is a whole host of serotonin receptors that 5-HTP binds to. Some say that they can get high off of SSRIs in a similar manner as you're saying that 5-HTP affects you. Comes down to individual biochemistry, as for as I'm aware.

I think it is important to note that although SSRIs do not exert antidepressant effects before 2-4 weeks, they are still psychoactive.

Given that your question was about why you don’t get “high” from escitalopram my answer would be that you’re probably feeling something (I personally find SSRIs psychedelic and speedy). But this something is not an enjoyable or pleasurable experience for you and thus you don’t feel “high”.

i dunno about lexapro, but prozac can get you high. the trick is, how to do this! OK? so basically you open those capsules and put the powder under your tongue and wait to absorb sublingual. you need at least minimum 60mg. the more the better! BUT, there is a catch. you need to have few beers or any type of alcoholic beverage before you do this. maybe few glasses of wine or vodka. few beers etc. and believe me, this fucking works!! im surprised nobody knows this hack...

being high is subjective

maybe lexapro will be illegal in 20 years and people will buy it on the black market and consider it to produce a high

I don't know I've never taken lexapro

i dunno about lexapro, but prozac can get you high. the trick is, how to do this! OK? so basically you open those capsules and put the powder under your tongue and wait to absorb sublingual. you need at least minimum 60mg. the more the better! BUT, there is a catch. you need to have few beers or any type of alcoholic beverage before you do this. maybe few glasses of wine or vodka. few beers etc. and believe me, this fucking works!! im surprised nobody knows this hack...

that is not a very wise decision.

I recommend no one do this.

Last edited:
that is not a very wise decision.

I recommend no one do this.

why it isnt wise? prozac is one of the safest meds out there if mixed with alcohol. im not saying take coke and/or heroin with alcohol. thats basically me being an absolute animal with no regard for human life. prozac IS the safest drug when combined with alcohol! but the fact it takes a week or two to work is why i think this alcohol hack is a good idea for someone suicidal. might not be good idea long term, but definitely gonna save someone's life on suicidal attempt, guaranteed!

Prozac made a big splash. Books written about it proclaiming it a Panacea. I was put on it like many young people and took it for a while without noticing anything besides getting up an hour earlier. A few months in I took MDMA and the magic was gone. Same batch of ecstasy that I had taken several times before starting on Prozac.

Eli Lilly managed to suppress data linking its drug to suicidal and violent ideation in children and young adults until their cronies at FDA finally caved to the public pressure of mounting litigation, depositions, discovery and expert witness testimony and ultimately required a boxed warning label in 2004, fully 17 years after the drug was approved and widely became the gold standard for treating young people. They also required other ssris like Zoloft and possibly the worst of all Paxil to carry the same warning.

A good topic for a thesis is the correspondence between mass murder-suicides carried out by teens and young adults and the widespread prescribing of SSRI drugs alone or in combination with ADHD drugs as in Columbine

Plus it suppresses orgasm