• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Why is heroin more addicting than oxycodone?

I don't know about one being more addictive than another, just that Oxy withdrawals are the worst for me.

That’s for sure..

While heroin feels better, some of my worst withdrawals were off surprisingly low amounts of oxy like 40-60mg a day type habits.

Having done my fair share of opiates I’ve concluded synthetic opiates such as Oxycodone, Buprenorphine and Dihydromorphine/Dihydroheroin, cause worse withdrawals than more naturally based ones.

-GC

What evidence have you got to suggest that oxy is less addictive than h?

Worry about actually substantiating that claim before trying to understand why it might be true imo.

The term "addiction" is very subjective to begin with so your question is a moot point.

That’s for sure..

While heroin feels better, some of my worst withdrawals were off surprisingly low amounts of oxy like 40-60mg a day type habits.

Having done my fair share of opiates I’ve concluded synthetic opiates such as Oxycodone, Buprenorphine and Dihydromorphine/Dihydroheroin, cause worse withdrawals than more naturally based ones.

-GC

I’m supposed to be taking 60mg of Oxycodone daily. Sadly when I get my monthly script, I do about 120mg/daily for the first week and then my (lack of) supply necessitates that I slow down. I’m doing quite poorly at making sure I have at least 20mg/daily until my next script. Clearly, I thought fuck all about how bad I’d be feeling now, in which I am forced to only take half a 20mg every other day, in hopes of avoiding withdrawals. It’s 3:10am here and I haven’t gotten to sleep yet. This is so typical for me and my lousy lack of saavy dosing skills. I’ve been on Oxycodone for 8 years, and was on Hydrocodone for 16 years before this. My rx isn’t really tackling the pain well and when I have my FaceTime appt with the pain doc in 11 days, I’m debating telling him I think I need something stronger. I’ve considered trying H, for the high and definitely for pain relief, but I am too scared. This 10mg every other day is sure not working well but I imagine that without it, I’d be really in a bad spot...

The needle makes it More addictive.

Last edited:
I’m supposed to be taking 60mg of Oxycodone daily. Sadly when I get my monthly script, I do about 120mg/daily for the first week and then my (lack of) supply necessitates that I slow down. I’m doing quite poorly at making sure I have at least 20mg/daily until my next script. Clearly, I thought fuck all about how bad I’d be feeling now, in which I am forced to only take half a 20mg every other day, in hopes of avoiding withdrawals. It’s 3:10am here and I haven’t gotten to sleep yet. This is so typical for me and my lousy lack of saavy dosing skills. I’ve been on Oxycodone for 8 years, and was on Hydrocodone for 16 years before this. My rx isn’t really tackling the pain well and when I have my FaceTime appt with the pain doc in 11 days, I’m debating telling him I think I need something stronger. I’ve considered trying H, for the high and definitely for pain relief, but I am too scared. This 10mg every other day is sure not working well but I imagine that without it, I’d be really in a bad spot...

I’d be hesitant to ask for “anything stronger” especially if your in the US, this often gets labeled as drug seeking and could get you completely cut off unfortunately.

Don’t mess with heroin currently either it’s a dangerous market right now during Covid, lots of people dying from fentanyl..

You could maybe looking into growing or sourcing your own pods? Kratom is another option too.

-GC

I’d be hesitant to ask for “anything stronger” especially if your in the US, this often gets labeled as drug seeking and could get you completely cut off unfortunately.

Don’t mess with heroin currently either it’s a dangerous market right now during Covid, lots of people dying from fentanyl..
You could maybe looking into growing or sourcing your own pods? Kratom is another option too.

-GC

Wait, by growing are you suggesting I grow poppies and do all the harvesting and cooking myself?

Wait, by growing are you suggesting I grow poppies and do all the harvesting and cooking myself?

Yea if you own property, they aren’t very obvious and even then so long as you don’t score them they are kind of a grey area legality (cops won’t fuck with you). Grow them til mature and then use them to brew a tea.

It won’t be enough for a full habit but it could supplement your oxy.

-GC

I could actually do that and I live in a corner of the US that has a wonderful climate. I have room in my yard amongst my existing flowers and most of my neighbors are octogenarians who wouldn’t notice anyway.

I could actually do that and I live in a corner of the US that has a wonderful climate. I have room in my yard amongst my existing flowers and most of my neighbors are octogenarians who wouldn’t notice anyway.

Oh perfect, yea get yourself some seeds and sow them in the fall or early spring. If you’ve got a green thumb and good environment they are pretty easy, I’m doing a few myself this summer and while it’s been a learning lesson I could see it becoming sustainable in the future if I had my own land.

If your truly taking for pain too Pod Tea is great, I’ve found the other alkaloids help more with pain than single pharmaceutical opiates.

To ensure you have good seeds I’d either buy from a site which appears to sell with the basis that they likely know their customers will use them more than as ornaments, or buy dried pods which you can test before growing to see their quality.

-GC

Well, if IV. heroin is better than huge waterbong loaded with pure hydromorphone straight from factory, than it must be superrelieving.

Uh idk about you, but for me, oxy gets me wired, and no euphoria.

Heroin makes me nod and gives insaaane euphoria, most tranquilizers and sedatives will cause addiction as humans like to feel happy and good... And I have anxiety, ibs, treatment resistant depression and ptsd, so Lord knows I use it for the euphoria.. shooting it is the easiest way to get addicted because you absorb 99-100 percent of it if im not mistaken(idk tho, I can't stick a needle in my own arm, I can't break the skin or I'll faint)
Obviously I'm asking a totally subjective question, however I wanted to hear several opinions on the matter. Some people state that oxycodone and heroin are one and the same, while others adamantly warn everyone to never switch to H. I think it's more than a price differentiation, because heroin itself seems to promote perpetual redosing and users appear to lose themselves far more financially/mentally/physically in the heroin game. It also seems to be the hardest substance to quit statistically iirc. I've been wondering why such a hardcore downer would be more appealing in comparison to the stimulating effects that most opioids possess. Some people also surprisingly state that oxycodone withdrawal is mentally way worse than heroin withdrawal. Any thoughts?

I've always thought H was more addictive and dangerous for a number of straightforward reasons.

1.) It is far more efficient to inject it both in terms of speed of action and absorbption. This is quite rare in drugs .. most feel different injected but few are 2x the strength when injected like H. Injection is by far and away the most compulsive and dangerous way to administer your opiate of choice. This also makes it medically valuable .. as unlike morphine you don't have to inject it - fuck off for 20 minutes and come back to check for overdose. With H you know very quickly. Super useful in e.g. a chaotic triage centre such as those you might find on battlefields. I guess that's why it's been banned for having no medical use.
2.) Heroin is a mix that (usually .. and with some luck) contains diamorphine. The inconsistency in terms of quality and contents makes it extremely hard to regulate your use e.g. I'm just gonna use 1g a day ain't gonna work that well in keeping your habit stable .. but I'm gonna use xmg of oxys is gonna work.
3.) Heroin has immense social stigma that can be hugely harmful to the individual. Oxy can / cannot but it's possible to be a respectable oxy user. It's almost impossible to be a respectable heroin user.
4.) Heroin (or rather opium) is the first ever "recreational," drug to come into significant use. All those years of considering it be "evil," means sensible legal control and frameworks would require a really big acceptance of what a load of idiots the lawmakers have been. Glaciars move faster.

As to how the drugs feel. That's gonna be subjective and different people want different things. Maybe somebody want to express their outsider status or be tempted by the forbidden fruit .. and maybe others just want to get through the day. The way it feels is probably less relevant to it's danger .. although some opiates are notably more compelling than others .. I don't think H has anything that special about it - feeling wise.

Heroin is a morphine prodrug. Morphine is considered one of the most physically and psychologically addictive substances on earth,. I think morphine is the most important factor in what makes heroin so popular compared to other opioids.

Anthropologist Michael Agar once described heroin as "the perfect whatever drug." Tolerance develops quickly, and increased doses are needed in order to achieve the same effects. Its popularity with recreational drug users, compared to morphine, reportedly stems from its perceived different effects.

Short-term addiction studies by the same researchers demonstrated that tolerance developed at a similar rate to both heroin and morphine. When compared to the opioids hydromorphone, fentanyl, oxycodone, and pethidine (meperidine), former addicts showed a strong preference for heroin and morphine, suggesting that heroin and morphine are particularly susceptible to abuse and addiction. Morphine and heroin were also much more likely to produce euphoria and other "positive" subjective effects when compared to these other opioids.

Unlike hydromorphone and oxymorphone, administered intravenously, heroin creates a larger histamine release, similar to morphine, resulting in the feeling of a greater subjective "body high" to some, but also instances of pruritus (itching) when they first start using.

Seems like morphine is the common denominator.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer hydrocodone over oxycodone because at the correct doses it has more of morphine-type nod. To achieve a similar type of high with oxycodone, I need to use a benzo along with it.

I just feel heroin is subjectively a much stronger drug. It goes deeper, encompasses more. It is more overwhelming. The effect of shooting it is profound. Oxy is euphoric and pleasurable but shallow. Shooting oxy is also pretty lame, and I think the real personality of a drug comes out IV

Heroin is insanely deceptive.

We are told our whole lives that it's the worst of the worst, but the feeling is relatively mellow in comparison. And you don't get sick the first time, so you feel like it's alright to do it, that it's just more propaganda.

But it's still so beautiful. It's like being the woman in the poster for The Sound of Music. Nothing matters and you get hooked on that fast before you're even physically dependent. It draws you in slowly but surely until you literally cant escape without going through hell.

Plus the availability. Before heroin I only did opioids whenever i knew someone who had a script, even though opioids were my DOC. With H I knew the only thing stopping me from getting it was my bank account or my willingness to commit crime.

Heroin is a very slippery slope and if youre lucky enough to find it these days, I would advise you to steer clear because if you have a problem with pain pills, (and you do) heroin will eat you alive.

I disagree with OP entirely. If oxycodone was cheap like fent (I'm not going to pretend the dope I get is heroin) I would never do mass amounts of dope I would just do mass amounts of oxycodone, and be equally fucked in the end.

Heroin is insanely deceptive.

We are told our whole lives that it's the worst of the worst, but the feeling is relatively mellow in comparison. And you don't get sick the first time, so you feel like it's alright to do it, that it's just more propaganda.

But it's still so beautiful. It's like being the woman in the poster for The Sound of Music. Nothing matters and you get hooked on that fast before you're even physically dependent. It draws you in slowly but surely until you literally cant escape without going through hell.

Plus the availability. Before heroin I only did opioids whenever i knew someone who had a script, even though opioids were my DOC. With H I knew the only thing stopping me from getting it was my bank account or my willingness to commit crime.

Heroin is a very slippery slope and if youre lucky enough to find it these days, I would advise you to steer clear because if you have a problem with pain pills, (and you do) heroin will eat you alive.

Strange.

Everyone insists that heroin is godly and packed with euphoria. I snorted it twice a while back and received no euphoria at all. It was a dumb mistake in the heat of the moment. I know that painkillers are buzzy and don't have the same charm as heroin but personally I didn't enjoy it that much. I'm sure if I shot up I'd quickly edit this post but I'm not down to ruin my life LOL. (No offense to anyone who uses heroin frequently teehee)

I think they are much more similar than a lot of yall are stating. Especially early on in addiction.
If you are anywhere near my age group, ( just starting to get into prescription “pharmies” in the late 90’s-early 2000’s) then chances are you didnt get addicted to heroin, you got addicted to oxycodone/hydrocodone, and once youre addicted to opiates - it kinda changes you right then and there... regardless of whether its bupe, poppy seed tea, oxy, or heroin.
I never even considered heroin growing up, even after i became fascinated with drugs and was trying to experience every substance under the sun- heroin was the one drug i knew i never wanted to try. It just had this stigma attached and everybody knew “ dont fuck w this one”.
But there was no stigma around benzos , adderall , percs , hyrocodone, ... and we did them all. I was mainly into mdma, lsd,(psychedelics in general)... weed, k , ghb.
I was a little out there, but functional. I was in college. Very into the jamband scene. Even if u were lucky enough to find a perc, it was 5-10$/each so u were doing maybe 5-10 mg oxy. It felt good i guess, but i never would have tried to take enough to nod .
But then oxycontin begin coming around. At first i didnt know much about opiates or oxycontin, and wasnt even that interested. I didnt know about the time release coating, and i think i even ate the first oc 80 i did WITHOUT removing the coating. Thank god, bc i def would have died.
I remember one night a yr later a bartender prepped an OC 20mg for me bc i didnt know how to , or to snort it. Once the coating was removed and it was crushed up into lines , I experienced the best high of my life. I was all about oxy from then on. Every weekend, id make sure to have a 20 or 40 lined up. Gradually tolerance went up, to the point of needing an 80 to last a full day. It was so expensive , it kept my habit small.... At this stage i still didnt fully realize how similar oxy and heroin were. I think millions of H users fell into this same trap.
I remember also having access to hydrocodone that id take tons of when i couldnt get my oxy, so i didnt experience WDs ... yet.
Oxy demands sores and prices skyrocket. Then u couldnt even get them.
Finally, one night as im desperate to find some oxy , my dealer stops by and says: “ive got something like oxy” and he hands me a stamp of H , totally rips me off charging 20$, yet it was still cheaper than oxy. It felt the same to me. So I continued w the H until i moved home.
I found myself craving it... any opioid. Oxy, H, percs. Didnt matter.
Then i was at a party and when i was leaving there was a crew slinging some fire dope around the corner. It was my first open air drug market experience in the hood like that, and i kinda expected to get ripped off, but they brought me back a bag after i paid them 10$.
I expected similar potentcy to what id done in past , and sniffed 1/4 bag. Holy fuck, it was so much stronger, i nodded so hard i was probably close to unconscious. Id never nodded so hard bc i didnt know it was possible. It was only bc of the unpredictability of the the potency of heroin that i instantly fell in love with the “nod”.
It was like the first time doing oxy, but better. And cheaper.
So now i was no longer looking to sniff a line and go socialize, i was looking to sniff a line and nod the fuck out for several hours. I didnt need the invincible feeling, the feeling of unlimited witty conversations or ability to work long hrs without pain. I just wanted to be sprawled out... floating on a cloud in lala land.
And from then on, no need looking for overpriced oxy, when H was so so much cheaper. Its hold on me tightened to the point i started IV use, and its been my best friend and worst enemy ever since.
Sorry for the novel, but my point is
(TL,DR ) : i was addicted to opiates via oxy, and had it not been for my oxy use- id never touched heroin in a million years.
Doctors and big pharma caused my addiction by pumping so much oxycontin into society, which is what started this opiate epidemic we are now in.
Oxycontin seemed like any other pharmy, no diff than adderall or valium( neither is harmless by any means, but its not like oxy )
Those oxycontin were almost talor-made to get young, white, wealthy suburban kids hooked on strong , high dose opiates.
When i first started looking for H on the streets, it was hard to find. Most dealers were workin coke and/or didnt trust a young white guy not to be a police or snitch. But within a couple yrs, heroin was everywhere... and everybody had switched to it bc oxy wasnt around, or they could no longer afford them. But everyone could afford H. But as stated, between vary potency and bag sizes, it becomes impossible to track your use and eventually your tolerance is higher than itd ever be from oxy alone. You are now an addict.
So i disagree that heroin is more addicting than H.
I think it just appears that way bc most ppls addiction doesnt really spiral out of control until youve ran the gamit of opiates, landing on the cheapest , strongest, and most available- heroin.
Personally- If i were offered an 0C 80 or an equil-potency bag of non-fent , good quality dope, ( i mean the quantity equals the Anesthesia/euphoria of the oxy ) i wouldnt really care which. I do believe i can feel just as good off oxy as heroin, and some ppl prefer oxy to heroin.ime.
Id probably choice the 80, bc it lasts longer if ate.
A lot of ppl rave about the rush, but it never did much for me. Im more interested in the several hrs of nodding.
Did you know it was heroin that the dealer had given you that first time?