• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Will taking a small dose of Xanax prevent cocaine induced anxiety?

brifkin33

Bluelighter
When I do cocaine I sometimes go into a cocaine induced anxiety attack after 2-3 hours in where it feels like impending doom. I have been to several ERs in hospitals for this in the last few years and it is never a problem with my heart itself. Chest X-rays, blood samples, and an EKG prove this. It is however always diagnosed as anxiety from cocaine use. It sure feels like a heart attack though. The symptoms include extreme chest tightness, the feeling of electrical shocks shooting in my chest, and raised blood pressure (this could be me imagining it versus my blood pressure being too high)
Would taking some Xanax while I am using help to prevent this? I realize it could offset the pleasurable effects of the cocaine somewhat but it’s a trade off to experiencing this anxiety for 3-4 hours.

Yes it will help. It will offset some of the “stimulant” feeling but much of the anxiety will be gone. You may need a slightly larger dose than usual seeing as you’re using cocaine.

Yes, this is a pretty common practice. I don't use stimulants at all anymore, but when I did, having a Benzodiazepine or a Barbiturate on hand was a necessity for me. It's not an unsafe practice, knowing that Cocaine itself is cardiotoxic and plenty dangerous in its own right.