• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

News A review of Regional Forums - We want YOUR input.

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
To our valued members of the regional discussion forums, we bring news.

In an effort to keep the site overall healthy and robust, we periodically review its content for adding, merging, or removing forums based on the traffic levels and if content warrants such actions. In looking back at your forum's traffic over the recent years, it is no longer feasible to maintain the regional forums as they are, given the low level of traffic they generate.

While we fully appreciate this may come across as shutting down your 'home' forums, we assure you that we are open to exploring alternatives. We also have looked deeper and recognize the vast majority of you remain very engaged with the other forums across the site. We appreciate your presence and trust you'll stick with us regardless of the outcome on this situation. This decision is not being reached quickly (BL TIME!) or easily (you are ALL part of our community), but it is undeniable that something must be done.

The main driving factor is a general lack of traffic. There just isn't enough to justify maintaining three forums as separate entities. For your reference:

llncVkm.png

WxxfJiR.png

With that, we aren't coming in and turning off the lights and locking the doors. We wanted to leave this thread (in each of the regional forums) for the members to have advance notice and to open the discussion to its members to offer any alternatives to simply (worst case scenario) locking these and moving them to the archive section. This can then be reversed if/when the site's overall traffic increases and the need arises once again for regional specific forums. As we stated - YOU are part of our community, as such we want you to have a say in what happens, especially to your 'home' forums. We are open to any and all ideas and suggestions.

One alternative that has been floated around is to merge these three subforums into a new 'Regional Social & Drug Discussion' forum (as was recently done with the Mental Health/Dark Side and E&C/LAVA subforums). Each region would have its own prefix, and all currently existing threads would be moved into the new subforum.

We will leave this open for two weeks, as we are very open to any thoughts, ideas, or discussion on options of what we can do. After this time, we'll review your feedback and see if we can come to a better alternative, so now is your chance to speak up on these regional forums. You can reply to this thread, we want your thoughts in the mix - so others can discuss and add their thoughts to yours.

No! Please don't shut down EADD - it's great community, I've made some genuine friends here, and I find it has a healthy balance of thread turnover - some of the other forums have so many threads that you can find yours quickly engulfed and pushed down the page never to be seen again. I can't speak for the other regional forums, but I wouldn't call EADD stagnant at all - every day a few new threads are created, not too many, not too few, and there's plenty of activity.

And it is helpful to converse with people who live in your own neck of the woods on various matters, drug-related or otherwise. It has always felt like a genuine community within a larger community. Is it really not feasible to keep it open? :(

Is this to do with difficulty finding and keeping moderators?

Even though EADD traffic has fallen, it still has more than the other 2 forums combined. And has done for a long time by the looks of things. Merge the other 2 regions that have far less posts by all means, but keep EADD as it is. There is definitely a strong community feel to this sub-forum going back many years, where the members can virtually 'get to know' each other.

What caused such a decline in nymbers? Why are people put off from posting here? What would Knock think? :(
Its to do with the legal high / NPS ban. THe traffic on the graph correlates exactly. THe legal highs brought a lot of traffic to EADD,

We could do with seeing the graph for the whole 2010s, that would be interesting. I bet there would be a huge increase around the time that Mephedrone starting becoming very popular.

It seemed to me that EADD was dead on it's feet maybe 3 - 4 years ago, but it seems to me to have picked up again. Although the post count on the graph would suggest that this is not quite he case, apart from the increase in 2021. Maybe when some old members starting returning for various reasons.

Is this to do with difficulty finding and keeping moderators?

Even though EADD traffic has fallen, it still has more than the other 2 forums combined. And has done for a long time by the looks of things. Merge the other 2 regions that have far less posts by all means, but keep EADD as it is. There is definitely a strong community feel to this sub-forum going back many years, where the members can virtually 'get to know' each other.
No, I don't think it's a mod issue. EADD pretty much mods itself and there are rarely any posts that are reported. I think the 3 regional sub forums are just so slow that combining them into one makes sense for them. Even if they combine all 3 the EADD posts would all be on the 1st and 2nd page because it is the most active forum. But no decision has been made and that's why TLB needs your input.

IMHO post count isn't everything - in the various messageboard communities I've been involved with I've found that a board/forum that's too busy or with too many threads is often pretty unsatisfying or frustrating, while one that is dead/stagnates is equally offputting. I don't think either of those applies to EADD.

No! Please don't shut down EADD
Guess it’s time to say goodbye
EADD wouldn’t be ‘shut down’ in the event of a merge. EADDers would still have all of the European Social Threads and whatnot that you guys have right now. There are already tons of people from other regions coming into these threads. And given that EADD is still the most active forum by far, I doubt that it would make much of a difference day-to-day for users.

But I may be very wrong on that. Hence why we are holding this discussion.

Its nice to see that EADD was going up during the period I became a mod. Althoug I can not take credits due to it being mostly correlation I surely will! 🤣

It's not fun to see this charts but I agree with
I definitely do think EADD is its own little community and it would be a shame to merge it. Is there a way to keep EADD on its own and merge the others?
And if trend got reversed once, why couldn't it be reversed for a second time? Maybe few lessons have been learnt along the way and I think it is a subforum worth saving. I am willing to try. Who's gonna fight for Frodo with me? 😀

Its nice to see that EADD was going up during the period I became a mod. Althoug I can not take credits due to it being mostly correlation I surely will! 🤣

It's not fun to see this charts but I agree with

And if trend got reversed once, why couldn't it be reversed for a second time? Maybe few lessons have been learnt along the way and I think it is a subforum worth saving. I am willing to try. Who's gonna fight for Frodo with me? 😀
I’ll stretch out your ring.