• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Advice please, my first post

They need to change the language.. "Volcanic eruptions" is more appropriate

Are you trying to scare me even more about the future menopause lol, do you take HRT my nieghbour does, and antidepressants and it's helped her so much, before that she was struggling to sleep, hot flashes and depression, she's okay now, no hot flashes, sleeps good and no longer depressed, poor cow works in a kitchen so it was boiling, then before the HRT she'd get a hot flash, she also mentioned maybe my insomina is peri-menopause, it's like everyone's trying to scare me and I want to stick my fingers in my ears and shout lalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalala

How was long-term mirtazapine and getting off?

I've been on it quite a few times, it was the only one I could tolerate at one point, I'd start on 7.5mg but needed to go up as my tolerance increased, I used to use them for sleep at the start, they gave me the infamous mirtazapine munchies, I put on so much weight, one time going from a very ill looking 7 stone 5lb to over 10 stone, maybe 10 and a half, in just a few months, I only went up to 22.5mg as I noticed side effects any higher so I came off it, it's an appetite stimulant and changes the way your body breaks down carbs, so even if you don't eat more than normal you still put on weight, so I went back onto a different drug for sleep, can't remember if it was maybe zopiclone or valium

Then the last time I went on mirtazapine 4 months after stopping another valium addiction, which I'd not even been on that long that time I had depression from paws, before long I needed more, not just for sleep but the depression wasn't going away, it was getting worse, my generalised anxiety disorder which means I worry and overthink bad stuff was so bad, I'd constantly worry myself sick, my brain wouldn't give me a break, I then started taking 30mg and at that dose the insomina came back, then things got even worse, I was showing really weird symptoms, and I was made to see a doctor out of hours who called an ambulance and off I went to hospital with serotonin syndrome, I told him I just need valium, it's what's given for serotonin syndrome as I've had it before but worse on sertaline, fuck, that sertraline is another story in itself, fucking hell, anyway he sent some valium to a chemist but it was shut, so he said collect the next day, I had to leave hospital though as the wait was over 5 hours and I couldn't sit up in the wheelchair they'd put me in anymore as my fibromyalgia was screaming at me as I can't sit up for long, I went to pick up the vaiuim from chemist soon as it opened only to find that doctor had only gave me 6 x 2mg, idiot that's nothing I was taking 120mg before I went on mirtazapine and didn't know where to get any as it had been a while since I took them

I didn't want back on valium though, then my own doctor found out about the serotonin syndrome and stopped the mirtazapine strait away, we had recently had new regulations come in to tell doctors never stop antidepressants cold turkey, but she told me if I don't do as I'm told they won't treat me anymore, so behind her back I done my own taper as I had a fair amount left over, by the end of the taper I was taking specks of them lol and I've a warning at the top of my medical records "DO NOT PRESCRIBE MIRTAZAPINE, SEROTONIN SYNDROME"

Sorry for the long reply, people joke about the fact I don't shut up, even my son lol, thankyou for your kind words

Yeah I think there's an anti-depressant which is supposedly good for suppressing dreams

There's prazosin, mainly used for PTSD nightmares, but it can cause depression so I've not asked my doctor for it, not that she'd let me she's very against pills

There's prazosin, mainly used for PTSD nightmares, but it can cause depression so I've not asked my doctor for it, not that she'd let me she's very against pills

Hmmm. It's tricky. Do you think the nightmares are the biggest problem?

Hmmm. It's tricky. Do you think the nightmares are the biggest problem?

It changes, when I was on a higher dose, the anxiety, depression and agoraphobia etc was the biggest problem, now it's nightmares, but when I come off I'm worried about paws, which you must know is bad, bassicly anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, insomnia, the list is endless

Been awake since 2am as got accidentally woke up, I took nitrazapam again last night, no nightmares, I flushed 6 so none left and I can go back to my taper, I'd only took 4 over 2 nights and last night they worked maybe because I was so tired from the night before, maybe because the pills are inconstant lol

Oh ok, yeah I was :)

I've never slept well but it escalated to another level in my 40s. At 46 I was completely sober and doing absolutely everything to be healthy. But still, I would only sleep for 1.5 hours or 3 hours. It can't be just coincidence those are sleep cycles.

Mind you, my whole endocrine system is a disaster. Diabetes (needing insulin), hypothyroidism and god knows what the reproductive hormones are doing.

No period for a year now, but I've seen a gyno, an endocrinologist, multiple GPs and they won't even test me til no period for 1-2 years! I felt like yelling "do you think this happens overnight!?" They apparently can't test because the hormones are in flux.. Well ok but you can put a man on the moon 🙄

Anyway, have a read of this article. My pharmacist friend sent it to me - he's in London and the UK seems a bit more up-to-date medically. I read this about five times, crying every time..

Not to hijack the thread but I'm starting peri menopause. Any tips? I don't sleep more then 4 hours, sweats 24/7 , and mind crushing anxiety and depression. I take benzos and mirtazapine for ptsd. I'm trying a low dose birth control pill but that takes time to work.

@Anxiety Girl I suffer from it as well to the point I'm not leaving my house. Please don't try opiates. Why are you coming off benzos?

Not to hijack the thread but I'm starting peri menopause. Any tips? I don't sleep more then 4 hours, sweats 24/7 , and mind crushing anxiety and depression. I take benzos and mirtazapine for ptsd. I'm trying a low dose birth control pill but that takes time to work.

Tips? Be prepared for ten years of it, with no medical professionals having a fkn clue what's going on 😉 I've seen a couple of gynos & an endocrinologist (cos I see him anyway for diabetes). Numerous GPs and they all just say "we can't test your hormones until you've had no periods for 1-2 years".

Off drugs I slept 1.5 hours or 3 hours if I was lucky. Never got tired, just more & more irritable.

"Hot flushes" should be called Volcanic Eruptions and can go on the whole day not 10 mins.

Yeah I'm on SSRIs & diazepam.. And methamphetamine. They won't prescribe me the Pill cos I'm a smoker but I had some full strength so took those & it didn't do anything much.

I'm just resigned to it now. My whole hormonal system is whacked (diabetes, thyroid, reproductive). Apparently it gets better when you're fully menopausal.. I went a year with no periods then had two in a row 😖

@AbbeyLee thanks. I'm on a low dose of birth control so I'm hoping I get some relief. Definitely stopping my taper.
Us women go through hell.

Welcome Anxiety girl....The times are pretty anxious....let's feel better soon,whatever that's mean🙏☀️🌄