Career Advice Advice to single mother who lost her boy to cancer and she’s about to be homeless..

FallenOne86

Bluelighter
So I met this women about 5 months ago and she just lost her boy to cancer and she’s struggling to find a place to and looking for work. Besides the welfare office what would be good advice as far as looking for employment and making decent money. She doesn’t have any degrees or certificates only some experience working in retail and sales but she said she doesn’t care to do sales again. I’m trying my best to help her. What would you guys do if you were in her shoes?

So I met this women about 5 months ago and she just lost her boy to cancer and she’s struggling to find a place to and looking for work. Besides the welfare office what would be good advice as far as looking for employment and making decent money. She doesn’t have any degrees or certificates only some experience working in retail and sales but she said she doesn’t care to do sales again. I’m trying my best to help her. What would you guys do if you were in her shoes?
she can't be picky about not wanting to do sales again in her situation. quickest way to a job is a temp to hire employment agency.

IME it is always easier to get a job when you already have a job. I know it sounds counterintuitive but this is what I have been told and what I have experienced. This happens because a lot of times hiring managers see previous employment as a sign of stability and would rather hire someone who has a job than someone who has been unemployed a while. It isn't fair but like Sturgill Simpson sang, "Life ain't fair and the world is mean."

What does this look like? Take that job in sales or in retail or in a restaurant and get to making at least a little money. Always keep applying to other opportunities. She should consider each job a stepping stone to the next one until she finds herself at one she finds fulfilling and that pays enough.

IME it is always easier to get a job when you already have a job. I know it sounds counterintuitive but this is what I have been told and what I have experienced. This happens because a lot of times hiring managers see previous employment as a sign of stability and would rather hire someone who has a job than someone who has been unemployed a while. It isn't fair but like Sturgill Simpson sang, "Life ain't fair and the world is mean."

What does this look like? Take that job in sales or in retail or in a restaurant and get to making at least a little money. Always keep applying to other opportunities. She should consider each job a stepping stone to the next one until she finds herself at one she finds fulfilling and that pays enough.
i was looking for work, then got a better job, and NOW im getting calls and amazing leads! what the heck up with that, this happened to me time and time agian in my life

Last edited:
she can't be picky about not wanting to do sales again in her situation. quickest way to a job is a temp to hire employment agency.
i was going to say temp agency till i scrolled and saw your post, long ago i relied on them,and great way to get foot in the door these days, many jobs wont even hire off the street(persay) even with help wanted displayed , i like to talk to employers even for a bit of brief eye contact and not always send resumes and fill apps online, theres pros n cons , but more pro`s in my experiences

if she has the fortitude, the pet styling industry is lucrative and there is a groomer drought as of late, many will train from bathing to grooming, but honestly its not for those of weak stomach , just a thought, but yeah id get with a hiring company, also in home health care services ( ihss here) are near desperate, but this is california i speak of, best of wishes in her most trying of times

Don't let the circumstances of hardship define what you want to really be and where you want to go. Whether its homelessness, unemployment, addiction, trauma. Even if you have been beaten down and lying in the gutter, you are not out and it is not over. You are not what is happening to you but you are what you choose to define yourself through what is happening to you. You have to believe in yourself and trust in your capacity to handle what is happening. You have to learn to become the most important asset to yourself.

Its how you keep on going and how you learn to adapt and thrive in your environment.

The worst thing you can do is give up on yourself and assume the role of victim in the whole process. What you choose to believe is what becomes your reality. If you let your circumstances control and define you, you will become victim to the self fulfilling prophecy this creates and all the negative self talk and self destruction that can come as a result. And now you're stuck and slowly you will learn to give up, stop trying and let everything consume you hoping it will all go away, which it won't. It will get worse.

Visualize where you want to be and how and what you will have to do to get there. Assess your environment and look at the relationships with everything. Piece together the story that got you where you are today and leave no stone unturned. This will help you keep grounded in the truth and it will also give your story meaning. That meaning is very important when developing strategies for coping with whatever you are going through. Make sense out of everything. The rest is all about making what you visualized a reality

Don't let the circumstances of hardship define what you want to really be and where you want to go. Whether its homelessness, unemployment, addiction, trauma. Even if you have been beaten down and lying in the gutter, you are not out and it is not over. You are not what is happening to you but you are what you choose to define yourself through what is happening to you. You have to believe in yourself and trust in your capacity to handle what is happening. You have to learn to become the most important asset to yourself.

Its how you keep on going and how you learn to adapt and thrive in your environment.

The worst thing you can do is give up on yourself and assume the role of victim in the whole process. What you choose to believe is what becomes your reality. If you let your circumstances control and define you, you will become victim to the self fulfilling prophecy this creates and all the negative self talk and self destruction that can come as a result. And now you're stuck and slowly you will learn to give up, stop trying and let everything consume you hoping it will all go away, which it won't. It will get worse.

Visualize where you want to be and how and what you will have to do to get there. Assess your environment and look at the relationships with everything. Piece together the story that got you where you are today and leave no stone unturned. This will help you keep grounded in the truth and it will also give your story meaning. That meaning is very important when developing strategies for coping with whatever you are going through. Make sense out of everything. The rest is all about making what you visualized a reality
This is some excellent advice. Some of the best I’ve seen on Bluelight.

Those can be quite lucrative actually. But are we talking the US?
Yes at least that’s where I am at. And I agree with that quote you got.. life without music would definitely be a big mistake! I wouldn’t be here if music didn’t exist! Music saved my life!

Yes at least that’s where I am at. And I agree with that quote you got.. life without music would definitely be a big mistake! I wouldn’t be here if music didn’t exist! Music saved my life!

Nietzsche is never wrong ;)

I find as I'm getting older music is becoming more important. Talk is cheap and it gets tiring 😊

Nietzsche is never wrong ;)

I find as I'm getting older music is becoming more important. Talk is cheap and it gets tiring 😊
Couldn’t agree more! Sometimes talking turns to nonesense and like Depeche Mode.. words can be meaningless sometimes! And forgettable!