• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol Megathread

Methanfelony

Bluelighter
OP: "Ok, yeah, I'm a newbie, so I'm guessing that I'm gonna get raped on this post, but I'm gonna try it anyway. So anyway, my friends and I tweak every now and then, and when we do it, we pretty much stick to just the meth. However, one of my buddies is essentially a functional alcoholic, and he insists on drinking massive amounts for pretty much our entire session. The other night, he started looking like shit (partly because he hadn't eaten for I while, I think) and complaining that he didn't feel well. He lied down and seemed to have drifted off, but he started twitching rather violently for over an hour, and stayed in bed despite our efforts to keep him awake. Later, after he finally got up, we asked him what had happened and all that he could say was that he could hear us the whole time but that he couldn't move. So, my question, I guess, is how does Tweak react with Vodka, and what the fuck was wrong with my friend? Thanks."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Info from Wikipedia:

Alcohol, sometimes referred to by the chemical name ethanol, is a psychoactive drug that is the active ingredient in drinks such as beer, wine, and distilled spirits (hard liquor). It is one of the oldest and most common recreational substances, causing the characteristic effects of alcohol intoxication ("drunkenness"). Among other effects, alcohol produces happiness and euphoria, decreased anxiety, increased sociability, sedation, impairment of cognitive, memory, motor, and sensory function, and generalized depression of central nervous system function.

���
Chemical and physical data
Identifiers
Pharmacokinetic data
Legal status
Dependence
liability
Moderate
Addiction
liability
Moderate (10–15%)[2]
Routes of
administration
Common: by mouth
Uncommon: suppository, inhalation, ocular, insufflation, injection
Drug classAnalgesic; Depressants; Sedatives; Anxiolytics; Euphoriants; GABAA receptor positive modulators
ATC code
  • V03AZ01 (WHO)
Legal status
  • AU: Unscheduled
  • BR: OTC (Over the counter)
  • CA: OTC
  • DE: Unscheduled
  • NZ: Unscheduled
  • UK: General sales list (GSL, OTC)
  • US: OTC
Bioavailability80%+
Protein bindingWeakly or not at all
MetabolismLiver (90%):
• Alcohol dehydrogenase
• MEOS (CYP2E1)
MetabolitesAcetaldehyde; Acetate; Acetyl-CoA; Carbon dioxide; Water; Ethyl glucuronide; Ethyl sulfate
Onset of actionPeak concentrations:
• Range: 30–90 minutes
• Mean: 45–60 minutes
• Fasting: 30 minutes
Elimination half-lifeConstant-rate elimination at typical concentrations:
• Range: 10–34 mg/dL/hour
• Mean (men): 15 mg/dL/hour
• Mean (women): 18 mg/dL/hr
At very high concentrations (t1/2): 4.0–4.5 hours
Duration of action6–16 hours (amount of time that levels are detectable)
Excretion• Major: metabolism (into carbon dioxide and water)
• Minor: urine, breath, sweat (5–10%)
CAS Number
  • 64-17-5
PubChem CID
IUPHAR/BPS
DrugBank
  • DB00898
    check
ChemSpider
    check
UNII
  • 3K9958V90M
KEGG
  • D00068
ChEBI
  • CHEBI:16236
    check
ChEMBL
  • ChEMBL545
    check
PDB ligand
  • EOH (PDBe, RCSB PDB)
FormulaC2H6O
Molar mass46.069 g·mol−1
Density0.7893 g/cm3 (at 20 °C)
Melting point−114.14 ± 0.03 °C (−173.45 ± 0.05 °F)
Boiling point78.24 ± 0.09 °C (172.83 ± 0.16 °F)
Solubility in waterMiscible mg/mL (20 °C)

Ethanol in low doses causes euphoria, reduced anxiety, and sociability and in higher doses causes alcohol intoxication (drunkenness), stupor, unconsciousness, and generalized depression of central nervous system function. Long-term use can lead to alcohol abuse, physical dependence, and alcoholism.

Alcohol can be addictive to humans and can result in alcohol tolerance, alcohol withdrawal syndrome, drug dependence or alcoholism. It has a number of adverse effects on health. The drug has been adjudged to be neurotoxic when consumed in sufficient quantities. In high doses or overdose, alcohol may cause loss of consciousness or, in severe cases, death. It is a causative factor for many traffic accidents and fatalities due to intoxicated driving.

In the past, alcohol was believed to be a non-specific pharmacological agent affecting many neurotransmitter systems in the brain. However, molecular pharmacology studies have shown that alcohol has only a few primary targets. These effects are facilitatory in some systems and inhibitory in others.

Among the neurotransmitter systems with enhanced functions are:

• GABA: In a fashion similar to benzodiazepines and barbiturates, an enhancement of the inhibitory system known as GABA induces neurological inhibition. This depresses the behavioral inhibitory centers, slows down the processing of information from the senses, inhibits thought processes and generally induces suppression of both normal physical and cognitive functioning.
  • 5-HT3 receptor agonism
  • Glycine
  • Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors
  • Adenosine: Ethanol blocks adenosine uptake via inhibiting the nucleoside transport system in bronchial epithelial cells. Inhibition of adenosine uptake by ethanol leads to an increased extracellular adenosine accumulation, influencing the effect of adenosine at the epithelial cell surface, which may alter airway homeostasis.
Among those that are inhibited are:

• Glutamate: By making this excitatory neurotransmitter less effective, neurological functioning is further inhibited. Alcohol does this by interacting with the receptors on the receiving cells in these pathways and blocking glutamate from binding to NMDA receptors and triggering electrochemical signals.
  • Dihydropyridine
The result of these direct effects is a wave of further indirect effects involving a variety of other neurotransmitter and neuropeptide systems, leading finally to the behavioural or symptomatic effects of alcohol intoxication. It's worth noting, however, that in terms of how these processes directly result in the subjective experience of ethanol intoxication, the exact mechanisms are still largely unknown beyond speculation.

Alcoholics Anonymous is an international mutual aid fellowship of alcoholics dedicated to abstinence-based recovery from alcoholism through its spiritually-inclined Twelve Step program. Following its Twelve Traditions, AA is non-professional, non-denominational, as well as apolitical and unaffiliated. In 2020 AA estimated its worldwide membership to be over two million with 75% of those in the U.S. and Canada.

AA has maintained neutrality towards the disease model of alcoholism though its program is sympathetic to it, but its wider acceptance has been partly due to many AA members independently promulgating it. Regarding its effectiveness, a recent scientific review has shown that AA does as well or better than clinical interventions or no treatment at all; in particular, AA produces better abstinence rates at lower medical costs.

- @deficiT

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i don't drink (i used to get drunk a lot but ummm...i don't really like it). and i don't like to mix substances. BUT--from what i heard (i'm probably completely wrong on this, phreeX or somebody please correct me if i am wrong)
i was told that you should NOT mix crystal meth and alcohol. first there is the dehydration problem. i also heard that while you are tweaking, you will not feel the effects of the alcohol strongly, thus meaning you could drink WAY too much. you'd be piss ass drunk and wouldn't feel it until you started coming down from the crystal.
like i said, i don't drink, so its possible i was misinformed by the above, b/c it doesn't really pertain to me. but hopefully, i was right. i dunno
***<3 starlight <3***
p.s.--check out erowid.org <--- everything any drug user could ever ask to know.
[ 14 December 2001: Message edited by: starlightgemini ]
[ 14 December 2001: Message edited by: starlightgemini ]

i have 2 friends that drank a case of beer each in a 10 hr. period while steady smoking crank. they couldnt get drunk for obvious reasons and both had been up without food for 2 days.they never twiched or anything.
another pal of mine drank a pint of vodka before going to a rave, when he got there he ate 2 green 8 balls (md**) he ended up in the hospital puking up blood.

Yes, there is a major problem with dehydration. Alcohol+meth is a potentially dangerous combonation. Especialy when his body is run down enough as it is. If he is going to drink on meth, tell him to atleast get some normal, steady sleep. And eat properly. Don't try to get wasted either. Also, the effects of alcohol are deminished by methamphetamine and he could wind up with blood alcohol poisoning.

Yeah, I agree, drinking is entirely worthless when compared to tweaking (or almost anything else, for that matter), and no one really knows why he insists on doing it. He also drank last night while we were on K. Does anyone have any clue how alcohol and K interact with each other?

You might get better responses to K+alcohol in the psychedelic drug forum.

Alcohol and k are bad combination, particularly if you're taking a hole-sized dose when you're breathing and consciousness are depressed. Throw alcohol into the mix and you're playing with fire. Too many different things can go wrong, not saying they will every time, but why risk it?
At small doses, k acts as a stimulant, so the danger is probably minimal if you combine it with a few drinks, but there is always the chance of potentiation or misjudging your dose and/or the amount you drink. In general it's just a bad idea unless you are being very moderate with both substances.

i think the twitching was something called nocturnal tremors or something like that. i bet the alcohol put your friend right to sleep while the meth was still stimulating him, so the twitching is a way for your body and your muscles to get rid of all that meth energy. happens to me when i smoke weed sometimes cause weed depresses me (not mentally, but physically)

It seems completely retarted to me to take meth, a strong upper, and then start drinking alcohol which is a downer. Although I knew a guy once that drank so much he passed out on 10 hits of acid, so I guess there are people who will do anything.
ad

It sounds to me like your friend is almost definitely an alcholic, and should seek treatment immediately. Alcohol is one of the more addictive drugs out there, annd if he feels he always needs to be drinking, that's not a good sign.
I'm also guessing, that because he was stimulated by the meth, he did not realize how much he was drinking, and drank enough to pass out. Also, meth can cause twitching in a lot of people, especially at high dosese or mixed with other drugs.

I have definatly had acid experiences where passing out from drinking too much would have been absolutely wonderfull. Benzos are better...but sometimes you just have to deal with that paranoia and anxiety.
Or that nasty I still can't sleep feeling coming down from large trips.

My friend and I want to try it. I was just wondereing: if you are incredibly careful with the amount (I know, it is 100x easier to take too much), is it really that incredibly awful for you? Like, if we only shot up a tiny amount and don't share needles and such.

It's just been difficult for me to find views on the subject that aren't incredibly naive and biased. Any experiences? How much did you shoot up?

Ok. Can I ask why? I don't want to be dumb, I just don't know everything about this. I just want to know why it's so dumb. I'm not going to do it if it is. This website is about being smart about being dumb, and yeah... that's all I want to do.

I've given shots and stuff, I know how to not shoot bubbles into your vein and such. I know you can't share needles. What are the other risks?

I think the main reason people inject is because of the increase in bioavailibility.
Do you think yo will get much of an increase in bioavailibility if you bang alcohol rather than drink it?

Yeah, that's the impression I was under. Everyone I've asked has said the issue is that people will try to shoot up the amount they would drink. I know that would be a terrible decision. I would not shoot up shot after shot, I'd only do a small amount.

^ Alcohol will burn; this is a sign it's wreaking havoc on your veins. It will do a lot of damage to them.

You'd need to use pure alcohol, and even then you'd have to inject quite a few syringes worth to get anything out of it. Injecting this amount will cause extensive vein damage. Injecting a small amount will just be uncomfortable and pointless.

Just drink it, please.

Alcohol contains impurities. Also think about what happens when you pour alcohol on an open wound. It will fuck up your veins.