• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Allergy to smoking Meth after 15 years.

NopeNotThatGirl

Greenlighter
Hi,
I’m new to Bluelight but hoped to get some feedback from anyone who may be having a similar experience or that may have some advice they would like to share with me.
My husband has used Meth for over 15 years mostly smoking but has slammed as well as of late he has only been smoking when he developed a reaction to at the time we didn’t know what ... I changed out all of the laundry detergent, soap, shampoo and lotions to fragrance and dye free I stopped wearing any fragrance.The skin on his arms, back, chest, stomach and hands turned bright red and was thick and leathery, it was super dry like alligator skin and it was so itchy he was scratching his skin off and then he would be in terrible pain because his skin was burning and scratched up.Early on I suggested it was the meth but he had used for so long never having any kind of issue it made me second guess and of course it wasn’t the answer he wanted but after eliminating everything else and paying close attention it is indeed the meth causing the allergic reaction.
I don’t know if this is relevant or not but it’s been affecting his mind a lot as well he’s been having audible hallucinations and paranoia which he only had when slamming and he insists he’s only been smoking and I don’t know why he would lie ? so why all of a sudden after 15 years a severe allergic reaction develop? Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I appreciate anything you have to offer and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Hi,
I’m new to Bluelight but hoped to get some feedback from anyone who may be having a similar experience or that may have some advice they would like to share with me.
My husband has used Meth for over 15 years mostly smoking but has slammed as well as of late he has only been smoking when he developed a reaction to at the time we didn’t know what ... I changed out all of the laundry detergent, soap, shampoo and lotions to fragrance and dye free I stopped wearing any fragrance.The skin on his arms, back, chest, stomach and hands turned bright red and was thick and leathery, it was super dry like alligator skin and it was so itchy he was scratching his skin off and then he would be in terrible pain because his skin was burning and scratched up.Early on I suggested it was the meth but he had used for so long never having any kind of issue it made me second guess and of course it wasn’t the answer he wanted but after eliminating everything else and paying close attention it is indeed the meth causing the allergic reaction.
I don’t know if this is relevant or not but it’s been affecting his mind a lot as well he’s been having audible hallucinations and paranoia which he only had when slamming and he insists he’s only been smoking and I don’t know why he would lie ? so why all of a sudden after 15 years a severe allergic reaction develop? Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I appreciate anything you have to offer and thank you for taking the time to read this.
Allergies usually develop by keeping in contact with the allergen. This will get worse the more you keep in contact with said allergen. The body grows more and more sensible in time, and the reaction will only get worse.

You should visit a doctor, and they will probably give him some antihistamines, but this is not a "get out of jail free"-card. The allergy will still worsen, and the allergen should be avoided as much as possible.

It may not be a classic allergic reaction, certainly doesn't seem like it to me from your post. Unless he is allergic to a new cutting agent from the meth.

Could be something else due to side effects from chronic use, or an unrelated illness (auto-immune), or even a mixture of psychosomatic stuff (since he also appears to be experiencing psychosis) made worse by a lack of higiene or scratching his skin too much, etc... May even be some kind of infection if he had been IVing and has other related symptoms.
Nobody can really diagnose him online.

Probably a good idea to go to the doctor if it's really serious. And taking a break from meth, psychosis can be very serious and it will likely get worse as he keeps doing it.

Last edited:
It may not be a classic allergic reaction, certainly doesn't seem like it to me from your post. Unless he is allergic to a new cutting agent from the meth.

Could be something else due to side effects from chronic use, or an unrelated illness (auto-immune), or even a mixture of psychosomatic stuff (since he also appears to be experiencing psychosis) made worse by a lack of higiene or scratching his skin too much, etc... May even be some kind of infection if he had been IVing and has other related symptoms.

Probably a good idea to go to the doctor if it's really serious. And taking a break from meth, psychosis can be very serious and it will likely get worse as he keeps doing it.
I agree. There's many possibilities to this, and allergies are just one of them
Just visit a doctor

We’ve been to the doctor and they referred us to a dermatologist unfortunately that appointment isn’t for another few weeks so I thought someone here might have had a similar experience. I took him to Urgent Care and the doctor there said he’s having an allergic reaction to some unknown irritant and a derm will be able to give more specific tests. They ran an IV because and have him fluids because he was so dry and diphenhydramine and Dexamethasone. That gave him a good amount of relief and once we got home I told him he has to stop until he sees the dermatologist and we know what’s what. He’s been doing it for so long he doesn’t want to quit so he’s looking for anything that might help.
Thank you so much 4meSM I was thinking the same thing about the scratching because it does look a bit swollen and inflamed. After we see the dermatologist if we find anything out that maybe be helpful to someone I’ll update this. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

We’ve been to the doctor and they referred us to a dermatologist unfortunately that appointment isn’t for another few weeks so I thought someone here might have had a similar experience. I took him to Urgent Care and the doctor there said he’s having an allergic reaction to some unknown irritant and a derm will be able to give more specific tests. They ran an IV because and have him fluids because he was so dry and diphenhydramine and Dexamethasone. That gave him a good amount of relief and once we got home I told him he has to stop until he sees the dermatologist and we know what’s what. He’s been doing it for so long he doesn’t want to quit so he’s looking for anything that might help.
Thank you so much 4meSM I was thinking the same thing about the scratching because it does look a bit swollen and inflamed. After we see the dermatologist if we find anything out that maybe be helpful to someone I’ll update this. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your response lots to think about. We went to Urgent Care and are awaiting an appointment with the dermatologist and in the interim he’s been forced to quit considering the developing psychosis I can’t say that I’m torn up about it.

Do you plan on telling the dermatologist about the meth use? I feel he wont be able to make the proper diagnosis unless he knows everything. I, personally, wouldn't want to tell on myself, but in this case, it may be crucial.

I do know that allergies can appear later in life out of the blue. I use to care for this older lady and her son had committed suicide. She was grieving so bad and her body went thru all kinds of changes. Now she is allergic to so much stuff, certain plastics, tomatoes, chocolate, fish. She has celiac disease and is also lactose intolerant now. I asked her how it started and she said she was visiting his grave and her lips started swelling up, she thought she touched something outside. The lady didnt develope any of that until she was in her 50s. It was all stress induced.

So, I'm sure the meth doesnt help because it's so bad for your body, but I know it could definitely be a allergic reaction to food or something, even though he has never had problems before.

The cutting agent in the dope would be my second guess. But it doesnt seem like you would get the same dope over and over.

I've never had experience with this, just wanted to throw in my opinion.

Does Benadryl help him?

Sometimes people develop allergies. I used to be fine with paracetemol until one day had tooth ache. Took two paracetamol and i came out in large enflamed rashes on skin. Found out it was paracetemol.

It might be a blessing in disguise. If he is experiencing psychosis laying off the stuff can only help with that

Do you plan on telling the dermatologist about the meth use? I feel he wont be able to make the proper diagnosis unless he knows everything. I, personally, wouldn't want to tell on myself, but in this case, it may be crucial.

I do know that allergies can appear later in life out of the blue. I use to care for this older lady and her son had committed suicide. She was grieving so bad and her body went thru all kinds of changes. Now she is allergic to so much stuff, certain plastics, tomatoes, chocolate, fish. She has celiac disease and is also lactose intolerant now. I asked her how it started and she said she was visiting his grave and her lips started swelling up, she thought she touched something outside. The lady didnt develope any of that until she was in her 50s. It was all stress induced.

So, I'm sure the meth doesnt help because it's so bad for your body, but I know it could definitely be a allergic reaction to food or something, even though he has never had problems before.

The cutting agent in the dope would be my second guess. But it doesnt seem like you would get the same dope over and over.

I've never had experience with this, just wanted to throw in my opinion.

Does Benadryl help him?
If he doesn’t I’m going to because I feel the same, the doctor has to have all of the information available or it’s pointless. I told him to definitely tell the doctor but maybe hold off saying it first thing because I don’t want the doctor to say well, there you go Meth is toxic stuff an allergic reaction makes sense and not look at an any other possibilities.
The Benadryl does help him a little but doesn’t give him enough relief that it’s tolerable.
That’s really interesting about the lady you cared for when I stop to think about it around the time that this developed I found text messages in his phone that made it clear he had sex with another woman and he said he had a one night stand in January and I was devastated and moved out of our home for 3 weeks and since I’ve been back I haven’t been the wife I was as I’m struggling with a lot of emotions and what I believe is psychosis happened around that time because he will do things like burst into the bathroom while I’m showering swearing he can hear me having sex or can hear me on my phone and once he sees there’s nobody in the bathroom and I don’t have my phone with me he apologizes profusely but a couple days later something similar will happen or he’ll question me about something insane like I’m sleeping with our landlord that I’ve met in person all of once.
It appeared to be meth psychosis to me however I suppose his guilt and fear that I’m going to retaliate may have him stressed him out to the point that his body and mind are reacting. I know there is a lot about the “ one night stand “ that I’m not being told and I know he’s fearful that I’m going to look into things further and his goose will be cooked. He didn’t confess out of nowhere if I hadn’t come across those texts he wouldn’t have told me so information isn’t exactly forthcoming. I suppose I have been consumed with how I’m feeling and coping and haven’t really considered how he is doing through all of this.
I’m definitely going to talk to him about this and see if there might be something to that. Thank you so much,I’m pretty embarrassed I hadn’t considered that a possibility I honestly try to not think about it at all and I’m sure it wouldn’t be easy to talk about.
All things considered the break he’s taking so far has been a blessing in disguise as the psychosis is gone and your post may have started a really important dialogue in my marriage. Maybe an appointment with a therapist might not be a bad idea

The more I think about it, the more I think hes lying to you about shooting up. Are you around him all the time? Would he be able to sneak away and shoot up? Do you witness him smoking it?

One of the main reasons the itching happens is because of unsterilized needles. This causes infection in a localized area and, with repeated use, multiple areas of infection. It's a reaction to a corrosive substance going into your body, as well as probably a histamine reaction to inexpertly sticking a sliver of metal into a delicate part of your body (i. e. your vein).

That aside, if you miss even a little bit of your shot it simply sits under your skin, accruing such reactions, possibly causing an abscess if there are impurities.

Unless you are a flebotomist level shooter with sterile water, new needles, micron filters, gloves, alcohol, and washed drugs, you run a high risk of severe medical issues you just rarely get with other routes of administration. And IV tends to cause a cute overdose more often (slamming a gram of meth is like playing with a loaded gun).

The other main reason deals with itching over the entire body. Because meth is a stimulant it brings about a rise in body temperature. When your core body temp rises you increase blood flow to the skin to get rid of the heat, especially through sweating. Sweating gets rid of the oils on your skin and causes your skin to become dehydrated. The psychological effects of the drug exacerbate the dry skin feeling and add an intense itching sensation that can be mistaken as a crawling feeling under the skin. The user then obsessively picks, scrapes, and digs at their skin.

Another reason could be dehydration. Not drinking enough fluids will cause the skin to get dry and itchy.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your response lots to think about. We went to Urgent Care and are awaiting an appointment with the dermatologist and in the interim he’s been forced to quit considering the developing psychosis I can’t say that I’m torn up about it.
Keep in mind that it could be a result of the kidneys overloading and resultant poisons accumulating in the system? A break, good nutrition, and most importantly aggressive re hydration should improve. I’m no med student, but the human body is like an engine. Fuel, spark, cooling. Kidneys are the cooling system. And by poisons I’m not referring to the meth itself. But meth keeps the kidneys busy, as amps don’t assimilate the way coke and h do. The excess removed by sweat and excretory system. That’s why od is far less common, and why high dosage use possible. Body takes alll it can, disposes of the rest. However, when filtration system preoccupied, toxins that DO assimilate become an issue.

If he doesn’t I’m going to because I feel the same, the doctor has to have all of the information available or it’s pointless. I told him to definitely tell the doctor but maybe hold off saying it first thing because I don’t want the doctor to say well, there you go Meth is toxic stuff an allergic reaction makes sense and not look at an any other possibilities.
The Benadryl does help him a little but doesn’t give him enough relief that it’s tolerable.
That’s really interesting about the lady you cared for when I stop to think about it around the time that this developed I found text messages in his phone that made it clear he had sex with another woman and he said he had a one night stand in January and I was devastated and moved out of our home for 3 weeks and since I’ve been back I haven’t been the wife I was as I’m struggling with a lot of emotions and what I believe is psychosis happened around that time because he will do things like burst into the bathroom while I’m showering swearing he can hear me having sex or can hear me on my phone and once he sees there’s nobody in the bathroom and I don’t have my phone with me he apologizes profusely but a couple days later something similar will happen or he’ll question me about something insane like I’m sleeping with our landlord that I’ve met in person all of once.
It appeared to be meth psychosis to me however I suppose his guilt and fear that I’m going to retaliate may have him stressed him out to the point that his body and mind are reacting. I know there is a lot about the “ one night stand “ that I’m not being told and I know he’s fearful that I’m going to look into things further and his goose will be cooked. He didn’t confess out of nowhere if I hadn’t come across those texts he wouldn’t have told me so information isn’t exactly forthcoming. I suppose I have been consumed with how I’m feeling and coping and haven’t really considered how he is doing through all of this.
I’m definitely going to talk to him about this and see if there might be something to that. Thank you so much,I’m pretty embarrassed I hadn’t considered that a possibility I honestly try to not think about it at all and I’m sure it wouldn’t be easy to talk about.
All things considered the break he’s taking so far has been a blessing in disguise as the psychosis is gone and your post may have started a really important dialogue in my marriage. Maybe an appointment with a therapist might not be a bad idea
Yeah, I'd see the dermatologist first and feel him out before I told him about the meth use. It is super important that he knows, but I'm afraid he will judge you from the very start and pin it on the meth. I really think it is the meth though. Or the meth is exasberating a pre existing condition.

I read about a guy who would dose with benadryl before he took his shots because he was having problems with allergic reactions and that fixed the problem. Usually if you smoke and have allergic reactions it makes your nose stuff up and your throat could feel like its closing up.

I'm sorry you found out about him cheating. It sounds like he is withholding information. I'm surprised you're not the one breaking out because of all the stress.

His behavior, like bursting into the bathroom and thinking you are sleeping with someone else just screams a guilty conscience. That's the only reason he would do those things. Unless you're the type of person who normally retaliates, and then maybe that's why hes freaking.

I've used meth for seven years, daily. Going through personal heartache and stress while your using all the time is not good. You definitely aren't yourself and it's very easy to overreact and have very paranoid thoughts. He may think everyones out to get him because hes been exposed.

So the rash could be a stress thing and the symptoms are stronger because hes a meth user.
How long has he been on a break from using? Has the rash went away or is it still there?

Well I'm glad I can help you, dm if you ever want to talk. I've been through lots of affairs and drug addiction. And yes, a therapist would always be a good asset to your marriage.

Hi,
It's a new method of making methamphetamine and it is a fungus that is alive. I have the same reaction just put some antifungal cream on it

The most important thing you can do, until he sees a dermatologist (go as soon as possible to minimize chances of this becoming a lifelong condition), is to stop itching. It could be a form of neurodermatitis, which involves thickening of the skin and is severely exacerbated by itching as you described.

Do not use a topical corticosteroid as there are some fungal skin conditions that can actually be worsened by hydrocortisone. Even if you yourself do not have symptoms like him, it does not mean it is not a fungal condition as we all have yeasts (which are fungus) all over our bodies, and certain environmental conditions (humidity, substances, etc.) can precipitate skin problems/disease through proliferation.

It’s probably not something like common tinea versicolor because of the thickening of skin and spread, however, and diagnosing this at home will not work or be advisable, especially if the symptoms are this severe.

For now, best to increase fluid intake if possible and definitely have him stop the meth for now (it’s likely causing a poor but overactive skin immune response, causing more scaling and inflammation, which sounds like your main problem). But more importantly, make sure he does not itch it even once a day.

I’d also recommend buying a lidocaine-aloe spray (often sold for burn relief), which does wonders for the itching and possibly could bring down inflammation, until you see the dermatologist.

Don’t itch! :)

I have almost exact mention symptoms but i haven't a clue I'm 43 and have used IV for a while with over 20 years of on off use. Just recent in the past year has it ever bothered me.Please let me know what you discover.

I have had similar problems as your husband. I used meth for over 25 years, with some stints of sobriety. It seemed like to me it was different batches of dope that caused me to react. I started thinking it was something new they were using to cut the dope with. I did all different ROA, from snorting to IV. And then bam! I would get really hot and my skin would turn into like right red rash, felt like alligator skin, and then it took over a week to go away. It was a trip. Didn't ever happen until like year 15 of heavy using.

I don’t get the rough skin but after 17 years of on off iv use I have developed this reaction where is if I get alittle bit of blood in my shot just a tiny but have to take it out I only have maybe five minutes to get it if it takes me any longer than five minutes I end up right afterwards getting this horrible red flushing from head to toe 8H places that I’ve missed I’ll start itching really bad it’s horrible mind you I’ve never had this happen and I’ve done some that shots in my less responsible using days but never until recently has this happened so I would be very curious to know.
Also I do hope you are well and hopefully things have calmed down and settled for you and your husband.