• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Alternatives to alcohol for a relaxing, recreational high in the evenings?

buuuurps

Bluelighter
As the title says, I am looking for an alternative drug to alcohol to take in the evenings - mostly to relax and feel good, but also to remain somewhat functional. I have already tried a number of things, but haven't yet found anything that works:

- Cannabis: Used to love the stuff for many years, but it kinda turned sour for me once I hit 30. I now find it anxiety-producing, physically unpleasant and generally unfun.

- Opioids: Sounds like those should be a perfect fit, if it weren't for the fact that am literally immune to their effects. I go into more detail about this here, but the tl;dr of it is that opioids simply do not exert any kind of recreational effects on me (and I've tried a bunch).

- Benzos: I have tried Diazepam (Valium) and Alprazolam (Xanax) a bunch of times. They do work on me if I struggle with anxiety (which is rare), but I get no recreational value from them. Some people seem to find them euphoric (Xanax in particular), but I am not one of those people.

- Psychedelics, Dissociatives: These are interesting drugs, but certainly not for the use case I am looking for. I realize some people actually do consume Ketamine or other dissos daily, but for me, those are substances that I don't feel like touching more often than once every couple of weeks / months.

- Stimulants: I love stimulants, but they obviously don't lend themselves to a relaxing, euphoric high in the evening.

- Kratom: Only tried it a bunch of times and didn't particularly enjoy the effects. Also, the fact that it tastes so bad and you have to consume such large quantities of it is kind of offputting to me.

So, you see, this search for a good alcohol alternative is actually more difficult for me than one might think, and I'm thankful for any recommendations.

Well . it seems like you have tried lots of things and none really seem to be for you. The only substance I can really say is not too overwhelming would be kratom. You can get the capsules ( to avoid the taste ) and if you are only taking it at night ( and not all day ) it shouldn't become too much of a problem.

4 or 5 grams a night to chill, for a mood lift, and eventual relaxation and sleep seems like the most benign way to enjoy your evenings. The other substances you mentioned would be okay too in moderation but they don't seem to agree with you. Have you tried Kava yet? How about phenibut?

Evenings are when I want to relax and chill so I just stick with kratom. But I can understand how hard it is to find something that will help us yet not cause issues in our life. Good luck.

You've gone through quite a few options already, but have you tried kava? Make sure you get a quality source, and I can't guarantee this will work for you because people have been known to call it "weak," but with good product and combined with cannabis (and perhaps even a small dose of kratom), it really hits the spot.

Have you tried GABApentoids like phenibut, gabapentin, lyrica?

Hey try mixing some CBD flower with your THC weed it will give you a high you are much more familiar with. Also many people who were heavy smokers of cannabis back in the day tend to have way too much its a lot stronger these days it has been found to be up to 40% stronger than the flower or green you would have found 20 years ago