• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Other Any chess players here?

Due to atypical brain function.. and no ability or even a sliver of desire to even pretend to spell, a scrabble tournament is something my subconscious would use to torture me in a nightmare.. a version of hell for me could be templated off this theme.

Due to atypical brain function.. and no ability or even a sliver of desire to even pretend to spell, a scrabble tournament is something my subconscious would use to torture me in a nightmare.. a version of hell for me could be templated off this theme.

My ex-husband played actual Scrabble tournaments (no prize money just trophies). That bastard could also play chess and win at online poker tournaments.

Scrabble is less about spelling than you'd think, especially playing on a board where you're manually adding up scores as well. He'd memorise 2 and 3 letter words, which are crazy but essential. It actually becomes pretty mathematical. So that kind of scenario is my nightmare as well hehe.

I play what I call "intuitive" Scrabble 😎 That means I throw tiles down in a matter of seconds lol. It works mostly.. I have some ability to see the whole board and hone in on good spots that others don't.

I was somewhat of a prodigy chess player when I was young. Got 2nd place at the big US national scholastic chess championship back in the day with my team. Was personally ranked 48th in the nation. I guess I was decent.

Just curious if anyone else here plays or played chess in the past.

Trying to get back into it, but it's hard to find the time to play as seriously as I did back then.

Recent study came out which stated that professional chess players can burn up to 6000 calories per day playing professional chess... and you're just sitting there using your brain... it's definitely a sport!

Great game... in fact I'd say it's more than just a game... it's two people sitting down trying to crush the ego of eachother without moving or speaking... it's art... it's sport...

I may be the only serious chess player in history who left a tournament half way through, forfeiting, to go get high on heroin...

Funny where life takes you.

I love chess! But nobody I know plays it, so I don't get to. They either call it a boring game or "too hard." I think people who can't/won't learn chess are boring. The same people who find chess boring will play checkers, which I find incredibly dull and unskillful.

Come on, checkers is pretty skillful, it's not as rich as chess but you can do some cool stuff there as well... fun game!

My problem with checkers is that I find it hard to evaluate positions, sometimes you just happen to be in a zugzwang and it's hard to see from afar. But those things could also be because I haven't played much. I used to play a ton with 2 friends at festivals with a lot of campsite time.

Come on, checkers is pretty skillful, it's not as rich as chess but you can do some cool stuff there as well... fun game!

My problem with checkers is that I find it hard to evaluate positions, sometimes you just happen to be in a zugzwang and it's hard to see from afar. But those things could also be because I haven't played much. I used to play a ton with 2 friends at festivals with a lot of campsite time.

unfortunately computers ruined that game, white wins 100% of the time with perfect play... there is one line of moves white can do in checkers which wins 100% of the time

but casual? sure it's fun, like chess light

one could argue that computers have ruined chess in a way... but luckily, did not break the game like that

unfortunately computers ruined that game, white wins 100% of the time with perfect play... there is one line of moves white can do in checkers which wins 100% of the time

but casual? sure it's fun, like chess light

one could argue that computers have ruined chess in a way... but luckily, did not break the game like that
No, checkers (or draughts) is always a draw with perfect play

Just because computers have solved the game and just because it's somewhat dead for top level play doesn't make it a ruined game :D

And it's not at all unskillful, I thought it was just pretty funny that someone who most likely is very bad at a game called it unskillful while it has been played competitively by humans for centuries...

I was somewhat of a prodigy chess player when I was young. Got 2nd place at the big US national scholastic chess championship back in the day with my team. Was personally ranked 48th in the nation. I guess I was decent.

Just curious if anyone else here plays or played chess in the past.

Trying to get back into it, but it's hard to find the time to play as seriously as I did back then.

Recent study came out which stated that professional chess players can burn up to 6000 calories per day playing professional chess... and you're just sitting there using your brain... it's definitely a sport!

Great game... in fact I'd say it's more than just a game... it's two people sitting down trying to crush the ego of eachother without moving or speaking... it's art... it's sport...

I may be the only serious chess player in history who left a tournament half way through, forfeiting, to go get high on heroin...

Funny where life takes you

I've played my whole life. since I was about 3 years old. my grandma taught me to play, along with the piano. can't thank her enough for that.

it's a dying art. I love GO too. wonderful strategy game.

I studied chess seriously a few times in my life. I love finding fellow chess players.

I love the king's Indian defense.

Wow I didn't realize there was a chess scene on Bluelight! I'm so excited to make this discovery! My name is Trey and I am currently living at a little beach town on the East Coast of North Carolina. I was in the mountains in Asheville, North Carolina, but I recently had to move back home where I'm about to get a hip surgery.
I’m near jacksonvillle. I’d be down to play