• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Any Healthy(er) Artificial Sweeteners That Are Actually Sweet

Stevia or nothing. Use the real thing cause things like aspartame are quite literally poison

Allulose is the most sugar like of any alternative I've tasted. I have no skin in the game and personally try to up my sugar content usually, but my girlfriend who certainly does try to limit sugar intake had these keto cookies that i tried a piece of and was impressed by the realistic sugar-like taste of it, so much so I had to examine the ingredients, and it was allulose sweetened. Being only 3/4ths or so as sweet as sugar it is expensive but it lacks the cooling (ie "artificial" taste") of the high potency sugar alcohols.

I bought a bag of allulose just because i was so impressed with it. I never ever use it, its for her to use, i just found it interesting.

Allulose is the most sugar like of any alternative I've tasted. I have no skin in the game and personally try to up my sugar content usually, but my girlfriend who certainly does try to limit sugar intake had these keto cookies that i tried a piece of and was impressed by the realistic sugar-like taste of it, so much so I had to examine the ingredients, and it was allulose sweetened. Being only 3/4ths or so as sweet as sugar it is expensive but it lacks the cooling (ie "artificial" taste") of the high potency sugar alcohols.

I bought a bag of allulose just because i was so impressed with it. I never ever use it, its for her to use, i just found it interesting.
Very interesting!! I'd never heard of it!

Same here just with chewing gum, I had a bad habit of swallowing chewing since I was a child.
Very unpleasant indeed, put it down as double fresh 'breath'.

My intestines don't need a lot of xylitol honestly.

I don't think anyone's do haha :)
To be fair to you both, there are some people who just react badly to xylitol. I also think part of it is kind of building a tolerance to it.

I use xylitol and a lot of diabetes patients I would know would use it as alternative to sugar without much issue. There are also people who just don’t tolerate it.

I think it’s a much better alternative. It leaves no horrid after taste either.

The only thing that puts me off it is the danger to dogs. You have to be very careful if you have one and actually you’re nearly better not even taking it in the house if you’ve a dog.

Very interesting!! I'd never heard of it!

It tastes more like sugar than anything I've tasted, and has no significant aftertaste. It is also naturally occuring. At only 3/4ths or so the sweetness of sugar, the amounts required make it too expensive to be used as a primary sweeteners for commercial use (particularly since its relatively expensive to make). Still, it is certainly cheap enough for a consumer to buy a bag of it to use like sugar.

So I've been re-diagnosed diabetic, but not type 1 or 2. 8 years ago I had a very severe attack of acute pancreatitis that destroyed 95% of my pancreas (the pancreas cells are the only cells in the body capable of releasing insulin). Three years later I was suddenly diagnosed as an insulin-dependant diabetic. However, I was CONVINCED it was due to the high dose of Quetiapine I was on. So after three months I just quit taking both the insulin and the Quetiapine. within a couple months my blood sugars were normal again. Cut to last month and a random blood test shows my blood sugars are so high the standard machine can't read them (they do the numbers different in different countries, but in the UK 4-7 mm/l is normal) and the machine goes up to 33.
I've been given Gliclizide (80mg bd) and Lantus (insulin).
I gained 7lbs in 4 days on the insulin despite significantly LOWERING my calories (I had been maintaining a body weight of ~120lb on 3000-3500 calories a day and now I was PILING on weight on 2000 calories a day) so I stopped taking it. I looked up the Gliclizide online and that can cause a lot of weight gain too so I've stopped taking that too.

I'm trying to control my sugars as best I can through diet alone. I have an extremely sweet tooth but am staying away from sugar/simple-carbs as much as possible. Fortunately, I drink Coke Zero anyway (regular soda always leaves me able to FEEL the sugar clinging to my teeth) but I what sweetener can I use on cereal or in general?

I really wanna not be having a load of thing like Aspartame and Acesulphame Potassium. I've tried Stevia/Truvia but they just taste bitter to me.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I suffered from eating disorders for 17 years and have only been recovered the last two. I'm a healthy weight (BMI 19) but not prepared to get heavy due to meds and also the whole thing has be stressed and on the verge of relapse (I keep having anorectic cognitions).

Isomaltulose (also known by its brand name Palatinose) is a very very low GI carbohydrate that tastes exactly like sugar, but has about half the sweetening power by weight.
It will cause a much much lower insulin response and it absorbs very slowly, it has no "sugar crash".
Downsides are it is very expensive compared to sugar, and you have to gradually introduce it to your diet as anything more than 2 or 3 teaspoons per day can and probably will cause diarrhoea.

Isomaltulose (also known by its brand name Palatinose) is a very very low GI carbohydrate that tastes exactly like sugar, but has about half the sweetening power by weight.
It will cause a much much lower insulin response and it absorbs very slowly, it has no "sugar crash".
Downsides are it is very expensive compared to sugar, and you have to gradually introduce it to your diet as anything more than 2 or 3 teaspoons per day can and probably will cause diarrhoea.

Cool. I'll look into it! My daddy is rich and I don't mind diarrhoea whatsoever :)