• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Anyone know much about Tapentadol?

It's better than nothing man. I'd eat that whole pill and have low expectations. I wish I could give you a better report but I only ate it once and I was disappointed. I'd compare it to speedy Hydrocodone.

Rectal is probably the fastest way of dramatically increasing BA

Going to try this if I can get these again. Bluelight removed the stigma of rectal ROA for me.. it's just science.

Doesnt the NRI negate some of the CNS depression? Even so, the difference between IV and oral in animal studies is scary as hell...

I suppose. I really dislike NE uptake affects; it makes me sleepier, but CNS-wise, yes I suppose.

I suggest you chop your tapentadol dose to 1/3 oif the original if you plan on using rectally - in the event the BA is much higher than oral admin. Don't wanna get sick.

I have taken tapentadol for about 6 months and just very recently tapered back down to ultram and norco. It had great therapeutic effects for me for my chronic pain. I have taken every size dose availible for this med which is 50 mg, 75mg, and 100 mg. For recreational use I found that between 300-400 mg at once was amazing but it can make you nod. Its a really fine line to fine the recreational value as if you take too little you wont notice it, but if you take too much, it will make you nod out. I always took mine orally.

Reviews I read about it seemed to put it at like 50/50 success rate for therapeutic benefits. I found it to be a wonderful drug for therapeutic reasons but the problem is that it is really expensive being that there is no generic for it. There are coupon cards you can get from the manufacturer that makes your copay reasonably low. It cuts the price down to about 1/12th the original price.

The only reason I tapered down was because my pain levels are going down and I feel that I dont need a strong medication like that.

Hope this helps!

Any other questions about Nucynta I will be happy to offer up an answer based on my experience with it :)

thoughts

Sorry for bumping a deep down thread, but this is the most recent one the search yielded with any real data points.
I've been playing with Nucynta at different dosages over the past couple of months. I have tried combining it with enzyme inhibitors (cimetidine), and more particularly, mid-high dose gabapentin. Either there's a strong effect overlap somehow, or this is just a fortuitous combination of drugs.
I've got a good amount of experience with OTC opiates and others, including a ton of experience with methadone, oxycodone, tramadol, hydrocodone, and a couple sweet times with Dilaudid. I'm 21 and weigh about 150. The most comparable nod I've got was that of methadone, minus most of the negative effects and with about 2/3 the length of the peak. I can take 250mg of tapentadol with 400mg of cimetidine without tolerance and nod as hard as I did off of 30mg of methadone without tolerance. I mean to say, extremely fucking intense nodding. With gabapentin the nodding is maybe not as deep but the effects trail into the next day (pleasantly, not like the sickness from 'done). I prefer the more wakeful state of opiates so this combination with gabapentin is very much more pleasant, like everything I had hoped methadone would be. Needless to say I'm trying hard to be careful with the dosage considering how strong the effects are. It's honestly taken me by great surprise after having read so many middling reports about it. But then, when I've taken tapentadol by itself (up to 300mg), it's been every bit as underwhelming as tramadol has always been to me.
The literature I've read doesn't mention exactly how the drug is broken down in the literature, although sources seem to think that its activity isn't caused by any metabolites. Because of my experiences both with and without cimetidine, I'm inclined to believe that tapentadol is demethylated into useless metabolites by one of the same p450 enzymes that cimetidine inhibits. But that's only my guess by my own experiences.
One other thing that concerns me (and another reason I like the combination with gabapentin) is the potential for seizures. I honestly don't think this drug has the same seizure-threshold-reducing properties of tramadol, but I can't be certain. The literature is scant, it is a fairly new one. If it were to lower my seizure threshold (I only had a petit-mal as a kid and I'm not considered to have epilepsy), wouldn't gabapentin help counteract that?
I've tried combining tapentadol with lorazepam, the only benzo I have available, but as I expected, it just makes me want to pass out.
Those are just my thoughts and experiences. I'd love to read some more posts about this one.
EDIT: adding to a long post to clarify this: the reason I'm getting a lot out of this drug compared to tramadol seems to be the fact that I can "potentiate" it, unlike tramadol which is a prodrug. that's my opinion and totally unverified.

Last edited:
^ you should make an official trip report yo! I loved tapentadol when I had it, but it is very sedating if you take enough of it which varies by person for obvious reasons. But for pain management it works pretty well as compared with other medications in its class like 5/10 mg percocets and morphine tablet and the like.

i actually had a shot of this given via i.m. at the er tonight. i think its a decent pain med, i'd say 100mg = 10mg oc depending on the person of course.

and it definitely goes great with other meds as well. for example, when i got the tapentadol i.m. they also gave me a i.m. of norflex and a norco to swallow. i got a little worried when i remembered i had taken one and half 350mg somas 30 mins before coming. i was nervous of nodding out in the er. but luckily that didn't happen.:p

Sorry if I should have just made a new thread but I felt I should add my thoughts on tapentadol, so I'm bumping this one.

I was getting drug tested for several months once a week because of a weed possession charge. I was a regular opiate (heroin mostly) user at the time, and I could use tapentadol without it showing up on the tests. Because of this, and having a source for the 100mg pills, I used it quite a few times and got a good feel for its effects. I only used it orally as the pills are large and have way too much filler to IV or snort. I used tapentadol in doses up to 800mg spaced out over an afternoon/evening, but this was with a high opiate tolerance. I would compare 600-800mg tapentadol to 120-150mg of oxycodone snorted or taken orally. The high was a really nice typical opiate high without any of the weird serotonin side effects that you get with tramadol, I really experienced no negative effects at all from any dose, no nausea, jitteriness, only some blurred vision.

Tapentadol made me feel kind of weird above 500mg. Actually to me tapentadol is crap, I get more out of 500mg tramadol than I would of 500mg tapentadol.

^ Weird, I found it to be far more enjoyable than tramadol, really on par with morphine or hydrocodone in terms of recreational value, though a step below Heroin, Oxycodone, Oxymorphone, or Hydromorphone. I definitely enjoy it far more than methadone, buprenorphine, tramadol, or codeine. For me 500mg tapentadol would roughly get me as high as 60-75mg oxycodone and no worse side effects than the normal opioid itchiness and blurry vision. 500mg tramadol would do nothing for me, I doubt I would feel it at all. I really don't see how you can say the two drugs are so similar for you, tapentadol is FAR more potent and a much cleaner high in my experience.

I agree with the previous poster. Long term Tramadol gave me bad headaches.

The only negative with Tapentadol, sometimes, would be that it makes me sleepier and there is a definite nod phase which is not there in Tramadol. I have not tried Hydrocodone but I would agree that Tapentadol is on par with Morphine (not on a per mg basis, Morphine in my experience was 2-3 times as potent on that level). I do not get any of the usual bowel type or itchy side effects though.

In terms of pain relief (chronic pain) Tapentadol is WAY up there with Morphine. Beyond the likes of Codeine, and especially Tramadol, which Tapentadol kicks in the nuts every which way

In my experience it is very much a misconception that Tapentadol is 'updated Tramadol'.

I believe that the supposed concept behind Tapentadol is that binding an opiate with an SNRI, the pain relieving effects will become extended due to the SNRI.

I can offer two pieces of knowledge to this thread- what this drug does to those I've seen take it and what it did/does to me at different doses.

We are of course discussing brand name Nucynta.

This was originally prescribed close to when it came out to a friend of mine during the Oxycontin Reformulation period. I believe it replaced a prescribed Rx of 90 OC 10's and at first everyone was pissed. One of the junkies began smoking it compulsively... HIGHLY DISCOURAGING ALL FROM ATTEMPTING THIS.
No snorting, smoking, or shooting these stupid orange pills. I almost puked a few times.:)

It seems that having a 60mg/day habit of Oxycodone, eating one 75mg of Nucynta is no where near enough to take away withdrawal effects. If I'm seriously jonesing and Nucynta is all I have, taking 200mg will relieve 90% of my W/D and induce a warm, glowing chatty state that is actually VERY pleasurable. The main problem that stands out is that most addicts seem to immediately take more when they recognize they're enjoying any amount of anything. 300mg of Nucynta doesn't increase my miniature nod or help me become more chatty. It knocks me out. Cold. It also lowers the seizure threshold considerably due to the SNRI. I have had some frightful close calls.

Taking doses upwards of 2/300mg can be dangerous. Friends of mine have become incredibly confused; One became so overcome with long-lasting delirium he required hospitalization. The fact that it is not a "pure" or "clean" opiate can definitely bring on unpredictable effects. I would recommend against it. Weird thing is, if I was in full withdrawal from opiates and found 200mg in a drawer somewhere, I would certainly take 100 or 75mg at a time until I felt ok and consider it a Godsend.

75mg of Tapentadol ~ 15mg of Oxycodone
However, 300mg of Nucynta feels a lot more heavy, dirty, and downright dangerous than its seemingly equivalent 60mg/oxycodone

Stay away unless you absolutely have no choice. In this case, approach and dose with due level of caution.

I have been prescribed this in the past and all it did for me was give me a intense tramadol rush like feeling, didn't get any opiate feeling out of it. and it's a C11 go figure.

Hrm, maybe I will get some of this next time. I'm having an alright time with tramadol right now, though. Can it be sniffed if it is in pure form?

You are fortunate to be alive. Christ. It pains me to see how stupid some people can be. Let it be noted the max therapeutic dose of nucynta is recommended at 100mg (AKA tapentadol), 150+ has not even been studied do to dangers, and anywhere of 250+ can cause seizures easily. So no duh 500 made you "feel weird" you should have felt nothing being unconscious seizing. NO ONE take that amount EVER. That is absurdly irresponsible. Also, I had a seizure at 600 of tramadol when I was dying of pain with tolerance bringing me to there, so don't get anywhere near that as depending on what you eat, body type, etc. could make you seize at smaller doses.

Dont sniff tramadol or tapentadol as it will burn off any sense of smell you retain lol. It will also be easier to seize on.

My doc gave me this once to try and I found Tapentadol to be a trashy opiate that made me feel spaced out and weird but with an uplifted mood.

I just don't like opiates that have anti-depressant properties attached to them.

Lol, rereading my reply took me back to when I used to watch my friend smoke 75mg nucynta on tinfoil.. chasing the dragon with them like old OCs. It was probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever witnessed in my life.

She would start by pouring herself a 32oz mug of ice cold whole milk.The pills smelled like an alarming mixture of plastic and radioactive waste product. She would take HUGE rips off the foil with the pills and cough uncontrollably for about 3-5min straight after every first hit. I was an avid OC / roxy smoker at the time and was used to the wafting aroma of pills being smoked.... didn't matter. Tapentadol smoked is extremely nauseating and ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUSLY HARSH. The nucynta smoker would frequently vomit the whole milk all over her tinfoil.

After She had somehow smoked two of these in a row, She would be sometimes coughing / vomiting blood. Her eyes retained a glossy, trippy/loopy characteristic reminiscent of high doses of tramadol. As bad as I would be fiending to smoke OC, I was simply not "hardcore" enough to join her.

Needless to say, She died a short while later of an extreme case of pneumonia.

It's an interesting drug pharmacological speaking, but not for recreation at all, not something to play around with.

I like Tapentadol. Kinda like a more intensive Tramadol high, which I really enjoy - though Tramadol seems to be just one of them drugs that people either love it or they hate it.