• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Anyone with diabetes (or knowledge of diabetes) help me with my ketones right now (maybe urgent, maybe not)

It is! I feel like the Bionic Woman or something with these haha. My endocrinologist told me diabetes technology should be improving a lot because it's such an epidemic and so there's big $ in it.

The sensor thing comes in the post and you can put it on yourself pretty easily (once you know how to do it). The app can share the info with other people, and it's really useful for professionals like endocrinologists and diabetes educators.

It just looks like this. The disc has a little needle which sits under your skin. They're waterproof too, so you can have a shower and not worry about it

Nice is that a DexCom? I just got one the other day too but I haven't put it on yet

Nice is that a DexCom? I just got one the other day too but I haven't put it on yet

No, it's Freestyle Libre.. I think these things are very specific to country. I googled it before and they're going to be subsidised as of July this year for Type 1s (I don't think I qualify).

@Treyderaid

My pharmacist friend mentioned nanotechnology with regard to diabetes. I don't know what it even means, but diabetes isn't rocket science.. It's just a lot of work.

You might like this article

I already like it..

The term “diabetes” is actually derived from the Greek, meaning “one who straddles,”

I already like it..

The term “diabetes” is actually derived from the Greek, meaning “one who straddles,”

Slots-Nudge-Button-1.gif

@darvocet21

Good article thanks.

"Unlike today, diabetes mellitus was a relatively rare disease on the American frontier. Dr. William Osler reported only about 2.8 cases per 100,000 of population in the U.S. in 1892. It is certainly likely that many more cases went undiagnosed. Notwithstanding some inaccuracy in Osler’s estimates, today, there is a virtual epidemic of this disease compared to its presence in the late 19th century.

In 2005, the U.S. was home to about 21 million diabetics (mostly Type 2), which translates into about 7,000 cases per 100,000 of population or 2,500 times the estimated prevalence of this disease in the U.S. today compared to a little over a century ago."

Yeah.. Sugar was originally considered a drug/medication *not* a food. It became popular as food though because people liked it in their tea and coffee.

Mine can go above 30 without insulin but my doc reckons my pancreas must work a bit because that's rare and it'll usually max out in the 20s.

I just got a blood glucose sensor thing again. I used them a lot last year after being hospitalised. They cost over $AUD100 and only last two weeks, but are so easy compared to the finger prick. You just scan the thing and it tells you your BG:

They're going to be subsidised here from July apparently! I don't know if I can get a Type 1 classification though..

Oh, so you are diabetic? type 1? I didn't get that..
I'm type 1, since 3 years old, so almost 30 years with diabetes.. which is quite a lot, isn't it?
My Hb1ac is normally below 7, around 6.8-6.3 but sometimes it reached 8...😞

I found that these herbs help me (and I'm researching and finding more of them, but sourcing is complicated for some of them): artemisia annua, kratom, yohimbe, black seed oil, mucuna pruriens, ( in that order, from big help to little help, I would say).
I've heard good things about: bitter melon, banaba, bitter leaf (vernonia amygdalina), costus igneus (insulin plant) and gymnema sylvestre.

Last edited:
Reading this thread is reminding me that I'm pretty sure I have diabetes and can't bring myself to say this to a doctor and get tested. Once I know it's really happening to me which at this point I'm 99.9% is the case I know I won't be able to ignore it anymore and I'm scared of the change required. I already have such a strict diet because of gluten intolerance. Cutting even more I feel will push me over the edge.

I already have such a strict diet because of gluten intolerance. Cutting even more I feel will push me over the edge.
Don't think that, eating is completely overrated, "nutrition" is not exactly a science, you can be perfectly healthy eating 20-30 types of different stuff, you don't need 100 or 200 as people eat (mostly shit, to be honest).
I'm vegetarian since almost 15 years ago, I eat cheese sometimes and organic eggs regularly. I realized that gluten doesn't feel good to me, so I'm taking less and less, reducing my carbs intake to nuts, potatoes, fruits, non-gluten cereals and some bread (rarely other stuff)...
I don't feel unhealthy, I didn't get ill in years (ok, maybe due to kratom intake) except for 4-6 days of mild covid.

If you are not inclined to eat like a madman then it's perfectly fine to not eat sugar, and/or less carbs, you won't die, you won't feel unhealthy nor weak (if you learn how to eat properly).

I already like it..

I've heard related etymology:
siphon, in terms of going through, like, whatever liquid that enters, pass through fast like a siphon

Don't think that, eating is completely overrated, "nutrition" is not exactly a science, you can be perfectly healthy eating 20-30 types of different stuff, you don't need 100 or 200 as people eat (mostly shit, to be honest).
I'm vegetarian since almost 15 years ago, I eat cheese sometimes and organic eggs regularly. I realized that gluten doesn't feel good to me, so I'm taking less and less, reducing my carbs intake to nuts, potatoes, fruits, non-gluten cereals and some bread (rarely other stuff)...
I don't feel unhealthy, I didn't get ill in years (ok, maybe due to kratom intake) except for 4-6 days of mild covid.

If you are not inclined to eat like a madman then it's perfectly fine to not eat sugar, and/or less carbs, you won't die, you won't feel unhealthy nor weak (if you learn how to eat properly).
I mean no offense but choosing to not eat something is not the same as getting violently ill and having to be on constant edge and guard to not be poisoned by something and revolve your entire dietary life around that problem.

It's funny(not really) the only people I know that really understand the struggle of food allergies are people with.. Food allergies. Never people with self imposed dietary restrictions that they can(and often will) end, or at least have breaks from. There's no fucking break for me bro. Death is my break from this food hell I live in.

It's not the same when you choose a lifestyle versus a lifestyle is chosen for you. Why not compare rape to sex. You get to choose what you eat. I don't. Don't act like you know what it's like. You really don't have a clue.

Let me randomly pick a food group for you and you can't it that anymore. If you do, you get really fucked up and might lose your job. You also get a greatly increased risk of bowel cancer. Oh and all your friends and family don't like to cook for you anymore. Don't worry, you don't really get to go out or have food cooked for you anymore either. Oh and this doesn't end. It's just how your life is forever.

Please tell me how you choosing to eat veges is the same, please.

I mean no offense but choosing to not eat something is not the same as getting violently ill and having to be on constant edge and guard to not be poisoned by something and revolve your entire dietary life around that problem.
I have diabetes type 1 so (excuse me for not having stated that, I wrote it my last comments in THIS thread) I know perfectly what it is to not eat sugar orcarbs.
In fact is YOU who don't have idea about what it is, you will know now. I'm diabetic type 1 since 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Please tell me how you choosing to eat veges is the same, please.
firstly. please try to be a bit less aggressive. you have a valid point imo but we try and keep a less conforntational tone in here. @Neuroborean ditto just seen your response this is not the place for arguing over who'se dietary limitations are most limiting or calling each other ignorant.

secondly, completely get you. i've been vegetarian since i was 9 (so like over 25 years). i'm now going to have to try cutting out all of the lean, cheap protein sources i eat because i've been having debilitating pain, had to take time off work and shit. its really not the same. i'm really scared tbh, i have a very long, ongoing, history of eating disorders and cutting out large numbers of safe food is the last thing i need. hopefully the elimination diet will reveal some other culprits. i'd still be able to eat them but would need to be very watchful, its stll a huge change to my diet.

diabetes doesn't mean you have to completely cut things out. you need to be mindful of your blood sugar. i mentioned earlier in the thread i have two close family members with diabetes. might as well not beat around the bush one is my mum and she's had it forever (to me, not her whole life). she still eats what she likes and now she has her insulin pump and libre (the patch thing @AbbeyLee mentioned) she has quite a high degree of control. she's never been unable to eat something, but she might need a brisk walk afterwards if she gets the insulin a bit wrong. or, she might unexpectedly need to up her blood glucose while walking, so she keeps dextrose tablets on her.

my other family member's diabetes is less well controlled. she's still able to eat what she likes within moderation, but has many more complications when she gets health problems that would be trivial for other people, and ends up in the hospital much more often.

both of these are type 1 diabetes, i'm not sure how different it is for type 2 diabetes though with that at least its possible to reverse it with dietary modifications. again, not cutting things out completely, but changing the balance.

In anycase, I know more than the average person about diabetes, I would even say that I know more than the average diabetic (since most diabetics don't read any papers and just trust their physician, as far as I know/acquaintances and forums).
So then, if you want any information you can ask, 30 years of a disease is quite a lot to learn about it, as a patient.
I'm using some herbs to manage and some of them are working very very good, it doesn't solve it completely but it really helps to make more manageable (manageable in type 1= not having crazy numbers out of the blue), for a type 2 it would be even better. You can see my last comments also, there's the info.

both of these are type 1 diabetes, i'm not sure how different it is for type 2 diabetes though with that at least its possible to reverse it with dietary modifications. again, not cutting things out completely, but changing the balance.
As far as a I know diabetes type 2 can be almost completely reversed (keeping some habits) if the damage to certain cells (as b-cells) have not been too extensive. Type 1 is much more complicated as the damage to pancreas is almost complete.

As far as a I know diabetes type 2 can be almost completely reversed (keeping some habits) if the damage to certain cells (as b-cells) have not been too extensive. Type 1 is much more complicated as the damage to pancreas is almost complete.
iirc there is some proposed type of transplant, maybe to do with the islets of langerhans? that might be able to cure it. would be cool. my mum was always annoyed about it cos apparently it was known as a potential cure but not researched due to lack of funding. but this is very hazy and out of date. it would be awesome if they could reverse type 1 as well.

sadly i suspect the people making a killing on insulin etc will put as many roadblocks as possible in to prevent that. those shareholders must be paid!