Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Apocalypse Now - varying runtimes?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Watching it now for the first time.

Most sources cite it at 147 minutes, but the version I have clocks in at 196 minutes....anyone know what the difference between the two versions are? That's an enormous discrepancy..

There's the theatrical, Redux, and Final cuts. All official releases. The Redux is the longest at 202 minutes and is by far the best cut IMO.

The theatrical release was heavily cut and in the final cut, Coppola removed one of my favorite scenes. So Redux it is for me.

Watching it now for the first time.

Most sources cite it at 147 minutes, but the version I have clocks in at 196 minutes....anyone know what the difference between the two versions are? That's an enormous discrepancy..
Absolute classic for me.One of the best movies I have ever seen."Heart of Darkness"was the book like the basis of the movie.-but this river tripping was in Congo river,not Mekong...Second version includes parts,that not exist in original one from'79 i think

Absolute classic for me.One of the best movies I have ever seen."Heart of Darkness"was the book like the basis of the movie.-but this river tripping was in Congo river,not Mekong...Second version includes parts,that not exist in original one from'79 i think

Oh, I actually have Heart of Darkness, but haven't read it yet. Had no idea they were related.

Oh, I actually have Heart of Darkness, but haven't read it yet. Had no idea they were related.
It’s practically a scene for scene adaptation, I was never able to read Heart of Darkness (the writing style is a bit hard to follow) but I got the best grade in my class in university writing a paper about Heart of Darkness and that period in colonialism simply by having seen apocalypse Now so many times lol

The parallels between Belgian-Congo and the Vietnam War are uncanny, it was an apt book to adapt. There’s a documentary about the making of the film called Hearts of Darkness, haven’t watched it yet tho.

They are related but in terms of river jungle tripping through the wilderness full of danger and evil and selfrevelations.But's a different stories

The part played by Robert Duvall (I love the smell of napalm in the morning... Smells like victory!) was actually based on a real Army Lt Colonel, David Hackworth. Hackworth lied about his age in joined the Army at like 15 y/o in WW2. Was the youngest ever to be commissioned as a 2nd Lt when he was field commissioned at 16 y/o. At the end of his career, he went on a television interview and blew the lid off the Vietnam War. I believe he was the first Army officer to ever admit on TV what a clusterfuck it was and that we were losing it bigtime. Up until that point, the media apparently printed whatever the military told them to print and that we were winning the war. Of course he was swiftly busted down of his rank and run out of the Army after that. Later became a correspondent on Fox News during the second Iraq War. I read his autobiography called About Face like 20 years ago. Compelling read.

yes its apocalypse now - redux, the longer directors cut version. saw it in the cinema years ago.