• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ativan and loads of caffeine, help would be greatly appreciated.

linksyslime

Greenlighter
Ativan and loads of caffeine
I am taking lorazapam (Ativan) often to help with issues and am just wonder if it's alrite to be taking fat burners (lots of caffeine) as well though out the day. Green tea, coffee n what not. What happens with Ativan and caffeine together?

Also I'm noticeing the Ativan is not doing what it used to for my issues. Took the dose up alot, just not doing much, ambein also is not doing what it once did, used to get such a nice high on the ambien after hiting up a lil Mary j. Now it does nothing no ambeince type feeling it would give me if I stayed up on. Doc will not give me anything else, says the atvans r the safest n will not change me to another benzo like I wanted. So in a nut shell, how can I make the ativan take te edge off better?? n make ambein give me that great ambiance feeling again??

Dose's
Ativan 2-3mg 3 times a day
ambein 10mg sometimes 20mg ..n I get nothing anymore!

You must simply take more, or taper down and let you tolerance lower a little, then the magic can return.

If you combine cafeine with a benzo, it will counteract the effects of the benzo, and the other way round too. I never take coffee when I plan on taking a benzo, unless it's a comedown from too much daily cafeine.

People who take Lorazepam on a regular basis develop a tolerance to the drug fairly rapidly. It is not surprising to hear you say that Ativan is not doing what it used to do for your issues. You have simply developed a tolerance and you either need to take a higher dose, or use it less often, or take a break from it entirely for a while so your tolerance can go down.

Also caffeine is kinda like a stimulant and lorazepam is a benzo which is a CNS depressant so those two things contradict each other, try to not drink so much coffee/tea/soda during the day

Yea, I was gunna say that if you want suggestions to help Lorazepam take the edge off more effectively, you should stay away from Caffeine.
Also, taking a break from them (Ativan) completely for a month or so. To prevent any rebound anxiety it may be worth tapering down as low as you can (literally taking a quarter of a pill, even less if you can by grinding the pill up and dividing the resulting powder into halves, then half it again, again, again and again etc.) before taking non at all.

Good luck! :)

I think that if you are taking all that caffeine and planning on taking fat burners etc. that you shouldn't expect your ativan to do 'what it used to' anymore. Naturally you are not going to feel as calmed down and 'chill' as you would minus the caffeinated products.

If you want your benzo to act as it did when you first started taking it you need to A) cut down/taper and lower your tolerance and or B) cut out or drastically minimize your caffeine intake.

I'd also like to add: In my opinion, there is no 'safest' benzo. A benzo is a benzo. To counter that I 'could' argue that ativan is the opposite. Why? The half life is so short that you must dose more often. Therefore taking a higher amount (in milligrams) per day than you would with something with a longer half life such as clonazepam.

I am a bit shocked that no one has mentioned the risk of seizures and/or other serious side effects associated with to quick of a taper or abruptly stopping any benzo. If you want the magic to return do a bit of reading online and develop a responseable taper stay at the low dose better (no dose) for a few weeks than increase it back. Also the rest is just a theroy but it is my understanding. Ambein is in a class of drugs which arnt benzos but work on the same/similar receptors. Unless you have been taking them both for the same amount of time they could be playing into each others tolerances.

Also definatly cut the caffeine out or minimize it. Cutting it all out or drastically lowering it can cause nasty headaches. Caffeine is a poor choice because a cns stimulat is going to counter act a cns depresent.

Last edited:
I am a bit shocked that no one has mentioned the risk of seizures and/or other serious side effects associated with to quick of a taper or abruptly stopping any benzo.

Woops! He'd not posted his dosages when I replied so I didn't think he'd be taking as much as he is with his Dr. knowing (though I guess he's not in the UK). Mentioned about the rebound anxiety though and he's been told to taper accordingly so he'll be sound ;)

I take caffeine with my benzos and it works fine as long as I don't over do it. Once you over do it. You kind of have to deal with that you did to yourself.


Thanks alot for the help. I'm pretty much just going to hope I can take in the caffeine n what not and just use the benzo to just bring me down after the supplements n the gym, ..then Just Use em to bring me down at night to sleep.

..making ambein work better for me at night?? I now you try to have an empty stomach. I can only get 30 each month, not sure how I could get em more. Wish I could ..what's a good dose, I also smoke, just pretty much what would be the best for the end of the night with
Smoking then some ambein togther. I just thought may be there was some way to make 20-30mg of ambein more effective.. I've snorted halfs of the 10s, so that's,
15mg oral n 5mg snorted. It's like ambien just stright stoped n now ist dong a thing.

Last edited:
There seems to be a limit to the effectiveness of Zolpidem's dose range.
Most people find that going past 20mg is practically fruitless. And that after that amount, you start losing parts of the night and wake up to find that you didn't take 20mg afterall.... You took 70-80-90mg :\

It may be different for you seeing as you have such a tolerance, but all that can be done is try it out and see. I think it's a good idea to use Benzos and Z-Hypnotics as infrequently as possible :)

The best for the end of the night out of Weed or Zolpidem? Both ;) hehe

I'm going to respectfully disagree about caffine and benzos (not sure about ativan). If you are still feeling muddle headed from the night before then some coffee works a treat to keep you focused, and for me I have not felt that it increases my anxiety. In fact it is the nicesest way to drink coffee in my opinion - no crash, just focus until it wears off. This may be very diffrent for someone who is on a long term mainatnace dose. I use benzos recreationaly once in a while as well as occasionally to take the anxiety out of a presentation/essay. The latter situation + coffee gives me the focus I need minus the anxiety of failure.

Damb I need to see a counciler :(

Ambien is another medication that you will develop a tolerance to very quickly which is why it is usually only used for 7 to 10 days.