Best resource to learn Spanish

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
I have almost finished duolingo (the android app) but am still in the very basics of learning Spanish. Does anybody know a decent online course or resource (textbooks etc) about learning Spanish a fast and solid way?

I've heard good things about the Rosetta Stone program.

My school system started teaching us Spanish in 2nd grade at 7 years old, but I learned much more quickly from hanging around Mexican friends and families. I've lived in Mexican households two times, where English was rarely spoken.

Once you understand the basics of Spanish, I think you learn a lot more quickly when you are forced into a situation where people are speaking the language and you can't understand. Our brains seem to force learning/change more quickly under such circumstances.

The one downside is Spanish, at least Mexican Spanish, is often spoken incredibly quickly, 2-3x more syllables per sentence compared to English.

Last edited:
me gusta practicar mi espanol, ya no vivo de la frontera

soy de Tucson, Arizona

tengo mas Mexicaco amigos

I have almost finished duolingo (the android app) but am still in the very basics of learning Spanish. Does anybody know a decent online course or resource (textbooks etc) about learning Spanish a fast and solid way?

Watch whatever shows you normally watch with Spanish subtitles. Or - much better - watch stuff in Spanish with english subs.

Cuando quieras practicamos.
Yo trabajé en Tijuana , en un rehab.
Ahora vivo en Mexico 6 meses, y los otros 6 meses en Luxemburgo.
ya no es seguro para los gringos

no?

Tijuana, Nogales.... muy peligrosos por los gringros? no?

No he visitadao Mexicano en mas anos

ya no es seguro para los gringos

no?

Tijuana, Nogales.... muy peligrosos por los gringros? no?

No he visitadao Mexicano en mas ano
Todo depende a que parte de Mexico Mexico quiera visitar.
En Mexico es siempre más seguro rentar auto.
No taxi or Uber son seguros.
La Ciudad de México es segua mientras no salga de la zona turística y por la noche. (Solo otra ciudad moderna).
Si quiere visitar Mexico, Cancun es una buena opción y bastante segura.
El único atractivo de Tijuana son los tacos de pulpo, la vida nocturna y lujosos servicios médicos a precios bajos.
No es segura.

Nunca he visitado Nogales.

No visite Mexico por su propio bien, un gramo de metanfetaminas cuesta 5USD.

Algún cartel de drogas puede regalarle hasta 2 Oz de metanfetaminas y olvidar el asunto.

Extremadamente raro que un mexicano tenga un arma de fuego.

Todo depende a que parte de Mexico Mexico quiera visitar.
En Mexico es siempre más seguro rentar auto.
No taxi or Uber son seguros.
La Ciudad de México es segua mientras no salga de la zona turística y por la noche. (Solo otra ciudad moderna).
Si quiere visitar Mexico, Cancun es una buena opción y bastante segura.
El único atractivo de Tijuana son los tacos de pulpo, la vida nocturna y lujosos servicios médicos a precios bajos.
No es segura.

Nunca he visitado Nogales.

No visite Mexico por su propio bien, un gramo de metanfetaminas cuesta 5USD.

Algún cartel de drogas puede regalarle hasta 2 Oz de metanfetaminas y olvidar el asunto.

Extremadamente raro que un mexicano tenga un arma de fuego.
por favor mi espanol es mal

Mi visto muchas partes de Mexico son seguars y hermoas, pero cerda de la frontera no es seguro, como Tijuana, ciuidad cera le el frontera de los US. Muchos insegura para los gringos. Pero mas, Mexico es un pais y una cultura hermosa.

por favor mi espanol es mal

Mi visto muchas partes de Mexico son seguars y hermoas, pero cerda de la frontera no es seguro, como Tijuana, ciuidad cera le el frontera de los US. Muchos insegura para los gringos. Pero mas, Mexico es un pais y una cultura hermosa.
Translation
It all depends on which part of Mexico Mexico you want to visit.

In Mexico it is always safer to rent a car.

No taxi or Uber are safe.

Mexico City is safe as long as you don't leave the tourist zone and at night. (Just another modern city).

If you want to visit Mexico, Cancun is a good and quite safe option.

Tijuana's only attractions are octopus tacos, nightlife and luxurious medical services at low prices.
It is not safe.

I have never visited Nogales.

Do not visit Mexico if you looking party hard, a gram of methamphetamine costs 5USD.

Some drug cartel can give you up to 2 Oz of meth and forget about it.

Extremely rare for a Mexican to have a firearm.

I used to go to Mexico for various drugs, a lot of Americans did.

it's different now, I guess

not so easy to score

I don't live near the border anymore, so I don't know

Well I'm still somewhat away from being able to hold conversation in Spanish, despite my efforts to learn. I understand more easily than to speak and reading is easier than listening, but overall I feel a bit hopeless due to my ADHD which didn't exactly improve during the past years. :( I forget sometimes seemingly faster than I'd learn and when it's to me to say something my mind goes blank. Will give Rosetta Stone a try, it's readily available form torrent sites.
Yeah, they speak incredibly fast, much like French people. I had some French at school but never took really off with it despite living some months in the south of France, but with German people so we were speaking German all the time.

Situation regarding drugs/meds must have changed dramatically during the past 10 or 15 years, nowadays you get only stuff like SSRIs, pregabalin, memantine without a prescription and some people sell others like keta vials or clonazepam without script for a 10-15x increase in price. You can get complete meals for 3$ or cigarettes for 2$ (sorry if this is price discussion, then feel free to remove it). Would love to find a dealer for said meth, it would certainly aid me to learn. It's difficult even to find a doc who prescribes stuff like lisdexamphetamine, this led to a 4h interview at the local drop-in psychiatric centre and they didn't want to give it to me. So I'm currently sober and bored/anhedonic.. which doesn't exactly help.

Guess I need to try harder. Finding a real life school/class would be nice but so far there are only online one on one teachers. Would be affordable though, maybe I'll try that but I hoped that there'd be loads of Spanish schools and students in MX city. Seems like I hoped wrong like when I assumed that many people here would be able to speak English like it's in Europe where almost everybody below 40 or 50 speaks some. They just have English schools here.

Last edited:
I'm native spanish speaker, from the oldest source, so to speak :sneaky:
you'd probably noticed english is not my first language, I just learned it through hiphop/rock music, 6 months in UK and forums/tv shows...
when I learned the most was during my stay in England.

Si alguien quiere probar intercambio o aprender algo específico de español, que me diga por privado

Last edited:
You can get a private tutor for pretty cheap online. My girlfriend doe it and charges $15 an hour to teach English to Chinese people. Probably the best way if you've already done Duolingo.

Rosetta Stone is good, but I think it's pretty pricey for what you get plus, when you learn one on one with someone you get the conversational skills you actually need.