• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bicycles!

God, it's probably been a decade since I last rode a bicycle!

Knowing me and my lack of coordination, I'd probably fall off if I tried to ride one now!

Ohai, anyone run after market cables?
They're worth the money!
Alligator and Jagwire are manufactures of brake and shifter cables. Run you from $16 to $35 a set
pricepoint.com and http://jagwire.com sell them. You can get them in a number of colors.

I bought mine because the Walmart cables wont work on my dual suspension bike.

If your derailers are adjusted properly, but they still wont shift properly, get yourself some aftermarket cables. They usually feature kevlar jackets and pre-stretched teflon coated wires.
They also have water and dust proof caps to seal out the elements.

When you cut the cable, be sure to use a special cable-cutter so the housing doesnt get bent.
And tape the area you will cut, so the cable housing wont fray and look nasty!
I used a dremel type tool, and it worked very good.

I've heard from a few cyclists who have purchased and set-up an aftermarket brake cable on their bike. They said it drasticaly improved the bikes braking performance.

Alligator shift and brake cable http://bike-parts.pricepoint.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=alligator+cable&asug=alliga

It's been about 10 years since I last rode my bike. I went through this big raver pants wearing phase and you can't really ride well with big pants.

I used to ride everywhere with my family though, when this city was just a little town and there were fields and paths everywhere.

My boyfriend's gonna change the tubes on my bike today and we're going to ride to the disc golf course! If he remembers to bring his bike pump. I hope I can still ride. I told him he has to close his eyes when I'm first getting on the bike until I know I'm not gonna fall off 8)

Nice bike beagleboy!!

God, it's probably been a decade since I last rode a bicycle!

Knowing me and my lack of coordination, I'd probably fall off if I tried to ride one now!

Hehe hun, my mum hadn't ridden a bike for about 40 years but my dad bought her one (at her request of course) for Christmas about 6 years ago. She fell off twice the very first time she rode it, on Christmas moring, but now she rides every day and they compete in cycling events all the time.

So seriously, once you know how to ride a bike, it never leaves you ;)

Yeah beagle I put on jagwire cables. I put on disc brakes [magura] at the same time didn't notice much difference with the new cables but I like how they are heavy duty, shrug. I also changed handlebars to Origin8 carbon high rise, so light. I broke my seat off the seat post and the dealer I talked into giving me a free carbon [specialized] post, more weight gone. I switched off the sram shifters, rear/front derailers and replaced them with shimano xt. I forget the weight but it is light as fuck.

I always have wanted to get these disc brakes rotors that had pictures of ufo's and rayguns cut out. I forgot where I saw them but I should have ordered them but got lazy. Wish I could find a picture.

I used to ride Trek bikes I still have a old 8300 carbon/alum and a regular aluminum 8000 they are both kinda old [mid/late 90's] but still sweet bikes. Haven't rode to much this summer and I have plenty of excuses why :) Its a shame actually, I used to ride at least 20 miles a day just fucking around thru trails. There are some nice trails out here but nothing to special. Mainly just passing soccer moms on the paths and nice forest rides. Now that school is back up I am trying to get in the cycle of riding each afternoon for a few hours. Fall is my favorite season.

peace.
seedless

okay so i have a question for the cyclists. im actually having trouble changing gears

One of the reasons I prefer internally-geared hubs -- usually more robust and easier to adjust than dérailleurs (plus being able to shift at a standstill is great for urban riding). They're not that common in the states unfortunately.

Only problem is that the flipside of "maintenance free" may be "un-maintainable", as few shops are willing to poke around the insides of one, should anything eventually go wrong inside.

I like bikes.

My Giant XTC 09 got stolen recently, part my fault in negligence but 3K down the gurgler sucks balls.

Looking at buying this bad boy as soon as I can, Giant Anthem X

700_anthem_x_ltd.jpg

It will be my first move away from hard tails but having test ridden one and falling in live I think I'm converted.

Before riding Giants, I was partial to the Avanti's, quality bikes for what you pay for around the 1K range.

^^ Wicked!! Nice pics man
thanks, Imma try n get more pics aswell as pics of my bike(tho it look like shit lol) and maybe a few edits in the future... Although I cud bike pretty well comming off dust, I love biking as it helps me stay sober for it's a high within it's self and wen Im mad I can just flly up hills n shit or ride for miles doing manuals(wheelie witout pedaling) to relieve stress... Biking is such a blessing and so good for you all around mentally and physically especially if you have a bike like mine with no gears and have to man up hills and shit or have a heavy bike like mine and to jump or just to hold up manuals and shit gets you built.. Without biking Id prolly od and die lol

i have a trek 2300 carbon road bike and i like it quite a bit. wish i had a lot of money to put into it. its lightweight now, but w/ more carbon components, it would be of course lose some weight, and IMO, look a LOT better as well. here are a few pics (sans seat and seatpost):

9r395k.jpg

Nice carbon!
I have a 2008 edition of Mountain Bike Magazine. It featured coverage of a bicycle industry trade show. Builders are making tube to tube carbon framesets. They described it as a "wrap" where the tubes meet. I think the metal pieces on your frame that join the carbon tubes look great.

Last edited:
Have the hipsters hijacked fixed gears? I've had a fixed gear since before the obnoxious hipster craze started, before I ever saw skinny jeans. Maybe I should get rid of it.

90% of fixed gear bikes I see are owned by hipsters, and built on a road frame, not a track frame, half the time, one thats also sized wrong and maybe even has a brake(!)

Mine is on hand built track frame with campie super record components. Old school? yeah. But its a real track bike, not some abomination. I forget the wheels right now.

road bike is a Nisiki alum frame I got free. campie bottom bracket and head set, the rest is dura-ace except the single campie friction shifter for my 3 speed rear cassette (amphetamines and spacers...everyone looks at it like 'lolwut') maveric rims.

I use that as a road bike with slick tires and cross/hybrid with knobby tubless's.

both are a blast, but not good for a casual ride around the block.

eh hipsters suck!! They be having maaaad money and try to act all bummy n shit.. They're mad fucking fake and no body likes em, plus they dress n look like idiots lol.. They ruining the fixie scene... I know some cool ass niggas who be ridin fixies but they seem to be portrayed as either lance armstrong or hipster stereotypes lol.. Bikes go hard in general, and they are good for you so even if you gotta look like a fuckin dirty hipster stay on dat bike lol! in my case however I do not fall into the whole hipster shit and prefer the BMX or MTBs

fuckin dirty hipster stay on dat bike lol! in my case however I do not fall into the whole hipster shit and prefer the BMX or MTBs

You got that right.

Eh, hipsters! They're a bunch of Nazis if you ask me. If they're in the public, they should be willing to take on anything that comes their way. I mean arent they trendmeisters and will un- self conciously ride the next trend to the cusp of popularity?

hip words: cliche', passe', cashe', kitsche' you can survive all of time with these few words.

The word hip came in to vouge' around the middle of the last century. It "means in the know", I sourced this from a Jim Thompson book (I think). He gave the definition of cool also. It means "the Police arent around", "the heat arent watching". He gives solid definitions for player, hustler, conman, mackman, thief, pimp etc. His advice for anyone living that life is that you've to expect seving time in prison as a reality. Jim Thompson is a career criminal.

Hipsters are like "look at me, Im in USA, I am a part of society. Our country is the best, we have awesome social programs. But somebody stop me, help me, correct me I need help!"

WTF you gonna' do hipster? Go to AA, NA meetings? Two 50 min sessions a week with a psychiatrist aint gonna help our relationship. Kill yourself!.......... if you think I cant break down genre and style. My background is in Science.
Heres a classification of style inside a league or division: Colombia National Football Team players upon executing a pass all let their foot pause at the end of their kicking motion.
Japan or Soccer Nippon Daihyō Team players all have short haircuts and are known to crowd opponets no matter how big they might be.
And this is legit. Cred to the person willing to APA/MLA their sources.

The public should be aware of the extent people will go to to belong to a group. And as a member of said group you're to demand the survival of that group. You have to be pro-active, have your ear to the train-tracks and listen to whats passing through the wind.

Dilettante: related to taking up an art, activity or subject merely for amusement, especially in a superficial way. Said of one who interests himself in an art or science merely as a pastime and without serious aim or study.

Last edited:
beagle: The Jim Thompson definition of hip is what first came to mind when I first heard the word "hipster" several years ago. I admit I was intrigued and started trying to spot one. Imagine my disappointment when I first saw group of look-a-likes standing around outside a bar wearing skinny jeans, thick rimmed glasses, asymmetrical mop hair, fedoras, $300 messenger bags, smoking cigs, etc. These were 21st century hipsters.

rangrz: Sounds like you have a nice setup. My fixie is a $35 project. $5 (this was cheap becasue it was before droves of people started buying old road bikes, reducing supply and driving up price, and converting them to fixed gears) up spent on a 1970s 10 speed road (the frame "Fiarelli" or something and it's older than I am) at a 2nd hand store, took off most of the components (all huret, I think) including brakes, took off the small chain ring, dished the back wheel, spent another $30 on a bottom bracket lock ring, 14 (I think) tooth cog, and new chain. I admit it is a kind of monstrosity, but it's fun to ride. I wish I had a fitted track frame, but I didn't have the money for one. I do however finally have some campy super record and record components (ebay, and some components left over from my brother's racing days), hubs, bottom bracket, and a dura ace bb and crank set so if I have any money left after putting together my custom frame road bike, maybe I'll go for a track frame.

Last edited:
90% of fixed gear bikes I see are owned by hipsters, and built on a road frame, not a track frame, half the time, one thats also sized wrong and maybe even has a brake(!)

To be fair, quite a few places have laws requiring a brake.

By the way, ever see a fixed-gear bike with multiple speeds? Possible with an internal gear hub.

I fess up to owing 3 bikes (2 road and a mountain) ..... all in my loungeroom :D

Here is a picture of my bike from the Giant Website;

uplandblue1.jpg

Put some bar ends on it yesterday, and just bought two more Avanti Aluminium water bottles. I've got Cateye bottle holders and I'm looking at getting a Cateye LED front light. Anyone got any suggestions for lighting this baby up? I'd like a bit of brightness on the front light, more than once I have hit a pothole at night because my light isn't bright enough.

I've got better tyres on her, and keep them at 55 PSI. Want to invest in a pump, puncture repair kit and tyre tools soon. I've got a Haro tool bag that fits nicely under the seat so that's all good :)

suggestions for lighting

Hi Klue,
Heres what I have come to know about lighting up my bike!

-(Wiki) The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI unit of luminous flux, a measure of the power of light perceived by the human eye. (*)

*This is deffintely not what will light up the road in front of you enough to provide a visio on the potholes.

The only solution that is applicable for you is: "I vageuly remember reading about 24hr MTB endurance racers that put expensive lights on their handlebars right from the begining of the race. Come nightfall, they switch on the battery packs that power their lights, and are then able to navigate the race terrain before them. When morning arrives, they "get rid of the lighting unit from their bike", usually removing it and leaving it somewhere on the racecourse.

A low price option and a high price option from http://pricepoint.com

-http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16631-225_NITMD7-2-Accessories-35-Lights/NiteRider-MiNewt.X2-Dual-LED-Li-Ion-Bike-Lights.htm

-http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16811-225_CYGTX7-2-Accessories-35-Lights/Cygolite-TridenX-LED-Li-Ion-Bike-Light.htm

I'm not in the market to purchase or make use of a high-end bike light. I have heard those lights are race/x-country/24hr enduro applicable.

*Hid lights are diferent technology than LED lights.

I understand that seeing potholes before you run into them is what a light can do.

Klue, right now, I just have not done the research to give you a viable consumer application to provide you with a solution.

I live in a City of pop. 30,000. I make phone calls to the County/State of CT. and Department of Transportation in the spring and fall about pot-holes and other hazards in the streets.

Bought myself one of these front lights today...

350xtl202aluminiumheadl.png

It's about as bright as my 2AA LED Mag-Lite, so I'm pretty happy. I would have just bought another Mag but I couldn't find a good way to mount it. Came in a pack with a super bright rear light as well. Cost me about $75, but it's all I'm willing to pay at the moment. Hopefully it casts a pretty good beam, won't know until tonight :)

Riding SS is so fun when you're living in a city that is relatively flat. Not having to worry about shifting and depending entirely on your legs makes riding such a pure experience. Anyway, here is my bike:

fzb2tk.jpg

Puma has released a bike especially for business men. it looks really cool.

eta: here's the girlie version

Puma_Moopion_KiBiSi_colori.jpg