Bluelight - MAPS.org partnership!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Greetings Bluelighters,

It is with great pleasure that I write this thread introducing a new partnership between Bluelight and the Multi-disciplinary Association for Psychedelic Research (MAPS). As many of you have already noticed, the front page and many of the drug related forums are displaying a new banner advertisement as of late last night. This banner is designed to raise awareness concerning a landmark, FDA approved study funded by MAPS that will explore the potential therapeutic effects of MDMA on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD. I know that I speak on behalf of the MAPS team and the leadership of Bluelight in saying that we hope this initiative will help direct appropriate individuals into the study, ultimately leading to an FDA approved indication for MDMA in PTSD.

It is almost impossible to overstate the importance and potential impact of this study. A formal FDA approval would effectively change the status of MDMA from a schedule I substance (deemed illegal and having no medical application) to schedule II, the same class as Ritalin and Percoset. It would open up the door for psychiatrists with the proper training and certification to administer pharmaceutical grade MDMA to patients, in a controlled setting, with whom other forms of treatment for PTSD have failed - essentially SSRIs and psychotherapy. A very short list, indeed. Unfortunately, neither treatment with SSRIs, psychotherapy or the combination of both have proven very effective in adequately treating those who suffer for PTSD. The need for such a drug is great. The government is quite aware of this, as the total amount of money that is paid out in the form of disability compensation to veteran’s with PTSD each year is staggering.

Furthermore, when we stop and consider the influx of young soldiers soon be returning home from battle in the middle east - having experienced first hand the horrors of war, one cannot help but feel a sense of duty to help make this approval a reality.

Now that the study has received government approval, the next step is to move forward with the second phase of the clinical trail. What this entails is identifying five patients who meet the strict criteria dictated by the study protocol (If you are interested in reading about the specifics of the study plan, you may do so here: http://www.maps.org/research/mdmaplan.html) These five patients must have a formal war-related PTSD diagnosis, they must have failed both an SSRI as well as psychotherapy, they cannot be a Vietnam veteran, and must have already had previous exposure to MDMA. Unfortunately, despite getting the word out via a number of different avenues MAPS has yet to identify five such patients, so consequently the study cannot yet move forward.

We believe that the scope and reach of the Bluelight community presents a logical vehicle to help address these enrollment issues. Consider that Bluelight currently averages approximately 9000 unique visits per day, and registers over 400,000 total hits per day. Truly, we are a leviathan in the online drug/psycho-actives community with the ability to disseminate information quickly and easily to a very large audience. As an interactive message board we have the added advantage of being able to discuss the various implications of this and other important issues within our many forums, and I would like to call upon each of you to initiate and/or contribute to such dialog in useful and creative ways.

I am also pleased to announce that we will be launching a new “Drug Studies” forum that will provide a specific place for the discussion of this and other drug related studies and surveys, in a number of different disciplines. More information regarding this forum will be forthcoming.

I am excited to welcome the various members of the MAPS team to our community - I very much looking forward to their direct involvement in the Drug Studies forum, and my hope is that they will interact with and contribute to the many other areas of our community as well. As you see new members with a “MAPS.org” designation under their username, please extend to them a warm welcome and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Thank you to everyone who has been involved with these new initiatives. I look forward to helping Bluelight and MAPS realize the goals of this important study in addition to many other great accomplishments in the future.

Regards,

Sebastians_ghost

That is awesome news, I am proud to have MAPS a member of this community! Hopefully something can be done about our nations ridiculous drug policy with this new study. Maybe in time we can open the door for all seratonin acting compounds to be looked at in a more analytical light.

Good to have you

my wife and i have been members of maps for a couple years and members of bluelight for a while also.it is great news that these studies are finally going to happen.i think mdma has always helped me overcome issues that i havnt been able to deal with on this plane of conciousness,and believe with all my heart that it is truly a medicine for your soul.that has ample medicinal value...thankyou maps for all the hard work getting this going..welcome to bluelight...we miss yall in srq.....PEAce be with you...m+s

awesome.
simply awesome.

i've been reading the MAPS publications for a few years now, and i have always found them to be a fascinating and informative resource.

All I really can say is...welcome to Bluelight.

It's truly an honor to have you as a partner.

This is joyous news to be sure! I extend a hearty welcome. Hopefully bluelight will prove a helpful venue for finding the appropriate candidates for your study.

indeed good news! Welcome, members of MAPS! I look forward to the discussions in the new forum

Great news, warm welcome to yourself & and all the MAPS people and good luck getting the five subjects you're looking for for this study.

:)

14.gif

This is great news, inspiring OP too :) Tell me though, why are Vietnam vets disqualified?

Nice one- MAPS is a good organisation....:)

How do u become a member, i get email stuff but yeh....

Last edited:
I hate to kind of bring the vibe down a little here, but whatever happened to the whole Halperngate/Pickard/Silo thing that was such a big issue at the Basel conference and elsewhere?? Is Halpern still associated with Maps?

willow11 said:
Nice one- MAPS is a good organisation....:)

How do u become a member, i get email stuff but yeh....

I'm glad that you asked! Please follow the following link:

http://www.maps.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=28

I trust you'll find membership level that is appropriate for you, as there are many options listed. A membership donation of over $50 includes a free book choice - I suggest you check them out.

Karaboudjan - I am looking into this and will get back to you as soon as I am sure my answer is correct. ;)

spun420 v. 2.0 - I also dont care to bring down the vibe, or take the thread off topic for that matter. Maybe your question is better suited for the lounge or Drug Culture? You could also email me if you like.

Good work, S_g. A logical next step. Here's hoping the stars align. :)

It's fantastic to see the FDA have approved a study of this kind which could ultimately benefit countless individuals and their families.

Welcome to Bluelight MAPS - I'm sure the MAPS team will make a great addition to this community and I look forward to seeing the new forum up and running. :)

happy happy joy joy. i think this is a great breakthrough for mind altering substances such as mdma - hopefully people will start recognizing the other positive therapeutic elements of drugs. happy joy joy

Status
Not open for further replies.