• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Can Xanax help with long term anxiety?

RT_4

Bluelighter
This may sounds stupid because I know the use of Xanax can cause a lot of problems. However, i’m genuinely curious. Say for example I use maybe 0.5mg/1mg of Xanax to go to the store (something that makes me unbearably anxious due to anxiety) When I eventually come off Xanax - which I do intend on. Will it give me more confidence to do things like that. Since alot of the anxiety for me is worrying that i’m gonna panic and people will look at me. I know Xanax is not meant for long term, however has anyone had any experience with it helping them long term, especially with confidence to do things that would usually make them anxious? I know not everyone on this site is a walking encyclopaedia. However I just was wondering if anyone has any advice/experience? :)

Benzos have questionable efficacy in the long-term treatment of anxiety, and almost always require increasing doses over time. This is invariably accompanied by some degree of cognitive impairment, personality changes, and physical dependency. Long-term use of benzos will change you forever, even if you decide to stop. In no uncertain terms long-term use of benzodiazepines causes brain damage in the form of long-lasting desensitization of the GABAA receptors.

Unfortunately the flip side is that benzos are incredibly effective anxiolytics, especially in the short-term, so its always hard to tell someone not to use a drug that works so goddamn well. But the price tag of this "miracle"-like effect is enormously high, you'll have to pay it all back at some point (and at a very high interest rate). Avoid daily use if possible (I sure wish I had).

Yeah, just came to say same when I found this thread again directed by nergogesic. Chances are not great and it is always bet. With high stakes.

Yeah, just came to say same when I found this thread again directed by nergogesic. Chances are not great and it is always bet. With high stakes
Benzos have questionable efficacy in the long-term treatment of anxiety, and almost always require increasing doses over time. This is invariably accompanied by some degree of cognitive impairment, personality changes, and physical dependency. Long-term use of benzos will change you forever, even if you decide to stop. In no uncertain terms long-term use of benzodiazepines causes brain damage in the form of long-lasting desensitization of the GABAA receptors.

Unfortunately the flip side is that benzos are incredibly effective anxiolytics, especially in the short-term, so its always hard to tell someone not to use a drug that works so goddamn well. But the price tag of this "miracle"-like effect is enormously high, you'll have to pay it all back at some point (and at a very high interest rate). Avoid daily use if possible (I sure wish I had)

Oh shit thats really interesting. I was just wondering for example, at the moment, i’m using it only for high stress situations (apart from a few times, which I wont get into aha). Will it help with those situations when I eventually do come off the drug. Or will the anxiety of being in those situations sober make anxiety worse. Sorry these are very specific questions, but I was just wondering because I want to be at a point where I can accomplish these tasks without fear of haveing a panic reaction, which is one of the big fear of mine. Because I don’t want to be at a point where I only feel like I can accomplish these things when i’m on Xanax I want this to genuinely aid me in my mental health recovery, without having to be on an SSRI, cuz I fear those will turn me into a zombie.

This may sounds stupid because I know the use of Xanax can cause a lot of problems. However, i’m genuinely curious. Say for example I use maybe 0.5mg/1mg of Xanax to go to the store (something that makes me unbearably anxious due to anxiety) When I eventually come off Xanax - which I do intend on. Will it give me more confidence to do things like that. Since alot of the anxiety for me is worrying that i’m gonna panic and people will look at me. I know Xanax is not meant for long term, however has anyone had any experience with it helping them long term, especially with confidence to do things that would usually make them anxious? I know not everyone on this site is a walking encyclopaedia. However I just was wondering if anyone has any advice/experience? :)
Benzos can be great for certain situations when it comes to anxiety but they just aren’t suitable for chronic long term anxiety.

Taking benzos will help an anxious person avoid uncomfortable feelings but it won’t help treat the anxiety. Leaning into those feelings and working with a therapist to retrain the body that anxiety is not a suitable response is a much better way (possibly along with other suitable meds like SSRIs).

Oh shit thats really interesting. I was just wondering for example, at the moment, i’m using it only for high stress situations (apart from a few times, which I wont get into aha). Will it help with those situations when I eventually do come off the drug. Or will the anxiety of being in those situations sober make anxiety worse. Sorry these are very specific questions, but I was just wondering because I want to be at a point where I can accomplish these tasks without fear of haveing a panic reaction, which is one of the big fear of mine. Because I don’t want to be at a point where I only feel like I can accomplish these things when i’m on Xanax I want this to genuinely aid me in my mental health recovery, without having to be on an SSRI, cuz I fear those will turn me into a zombie.
I used benzos pretty long and your logic seems valid and functioning, my only issues was having the need for benzo or ANY relief almost ALL THE TIME, it is sort of funny to think my issues are TOO BAD for benzo medication to work taking into account my psychology lol

I guess being humble enough to take rebounds and being able to make distinction between addiction behaviour issue and anxiety is of great benefit

No, it's a quick fix.

Psychedelics and dissociatives can help with anxiety long-term.

You may want to examine your feelings beyond "anxious because of anxiety". It's the way you've been programmed through experience, not a random mystery event.

Anxiety is often caused by low self esteem. Low self esteem is often related to bullying parents, bullying classmates or "friends". Parents are especially apt at destroying people through subtle and illegible means. Maybe that's what happened. Just an idea.

Sorry if i'm rude or anything. Not my intention.

The only drugs that really help long-term are the ones that help you analyze and feel yourself.

No, it's a quick fix.

Psychedelics and dissociatives can help with anxiety long-term.

You may want to examine your feelings beyond "anxious because of anxiety". It's the way you've been programmed through experience, not a random mystery event.

Anxiety is often caused by low self esteem. Low self esteem is often related to bullying parents, bullying classmates or "friends". Parents are especially apt at destroying people through subtle and illegible means. Maybe that's what happened. Just an idea.

Sorry if i'm rude or anything. Not my intention.

The only drugs that really help long-term are the ones that help you analyze and feel yourself.
You don’t sounds rude at all man don’t worry.

Thats interesting, I’ve tried using psychedelics (a reasonably high dose of LSD) to try do some self reflecting. Didn’t really work just ended up staring at a bush for 20 minutes, I suppose it helps some people more than others. Maybe i’ll try micro-dosing at some point. But my main goal right now is to get some talking therapy and maybe some medication. I’m just trying to use some ‘quick fix’ solutions to try manage the anxiety because it’s getting quite bad. Abit irresponsible on my part, but i’m trying my best to stay safe and hopefully get better soon. Also when you say dissociatives what do you mean? I’ve tried using ketamine and DXM but only in recreational settings. Do you find that they help you at all?

I recommend shrooms for digging deep into your own "self" of course you are going to have fun and stare at random shit for a long while but I'd say the best way for some psychedelic healing is to trip alone at night either under the stars or in your own bed with some great music..this gives u a chance to embrace the experience and think about your own life and day 2 day bs that you may have not realized before that you put yourself through...and then when your mind finally starts coming back along with tremendous amounts of energy that seems to be filled with love in the afterglow you can really start to pin point important things in life.

Tripping is a very anxious thing to put yourself through ESPECIALLY on the come up or even peak but I believe if you followed this way of tripping and dosing at least an eighth (3.5 grams)- heroic doses like 5gs - 8gs I can say for certain that it will help you in one way or the other. It's good to have a reset.

"But my soul must be iron..because my fear is naked, I'm naked and fearless, and my fear is naked!" Bottom- Tool

dealing with what is at root of anxieties is exhausting ime
have to before or maybe while on this type of substance may be helpful fuckin traumatic
self proclaimed rab lat here subject but i mean it may not provide enough for panic (im talkin .15-.2mg) of basically "xanax".
so far it seems to have removed all back and neck issues trauma related (i do have to stretch in the mornings always did).
it seems
Now the benzodiazepine part is not imo related to the anxieties. Just sayin. I am hurting as well as a lot of others. a lot. anxieties are high specially if i have to walk through a door leaving to go anywhere.
LOts to deal with sometimes and it aint easy... glad i have a little help tbph. if i can move i can make something happen even if its just to kick the can down the road the mf. lol
lemm get outta heere

peace

ed
where is this aprazolam coming from?
(not a link just sayin "xaxan" is a little spooky to start with)

ed2
imo/e
yes at low dose
i have been to extremes for decades and those memories come back here and there but talkin 8-10mg day... blackout for some. They are feeding the elderly 1-2mg dosages iirc and all kinsa other other shit just makes me wonder.
All i have is an opinion from experience and am in this as my own experiment
peace

Last edited:
Disclaimer- I am not a Dr, the following is based solely upon my personal experience. I don't think that benzos, (and especially xanax) are meant to be taken for the long-term treatment of anxiety; and especially not if you haven't tried literally everything else you possibly can for said treatment of anxiety beforehand. My experience with long term benzodiazepine use was a disaster that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I don't think long-term anxiety sufferers should resort to benzos, I don't think it will make things better in the long term, in fact, I think that benzodiazepine use in the long term will only make your anxiety worse.

Disclaimer- I am not a Dr, the following is based solely upon my personal experience. I don't think that benzos, (and especially xanax) are meant to be taken for the long-term treatment of anxiety; and especially not if you haven't tried literally everything else you possibly can for said treatment of anxiety beforehand. My experience with long term benzodiazepine use was a disaster that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I don't think long-term anxiety sufferers should resort to benzos, I don't think it will make things better in the long term, in fact, I think that benzodiazepine use in the long term will only make your anxiety worse.
Honestly all this advice i’ve received has been really insightful thank you. I will try limit my doses to keep them low and infrequent for high stress situations. I just don’t want them to make me MORE anxious in high stress sitations when im not on them for example like a long bus ride ussually makes me really anxious. Cuz i want them to aid me in doing difficult things, so maybe one day I can do it without them. I don’t really know at this point, this isn’t like my last resort, I still have so many different routes I can take to help my anxiety. Just sometimes it gets so unbearable I feel like I can’t do the simplest of things. I really hope I can get better some day. It was my 18th birthday recently and i’ve been so low and trying every drug under the sun to try ‘self-medicate’ but everything has downsides and negatives. Sometimes I feel like living in my own brain is some kind of punishment. Sorry, i’m being a little bit dramatic, just life can be hard sometimes. Thank you for the insight regardless :)

Honestly all this advice i’ve received has been really insightful thank you. I will try limit my doses to keep them low and infrequent for high stress situations. I just don’t want them to make me MORE anxious in high stress sitations when im not on them for example like a long bus ride ussually makes me really anxious. Cuz i want them to aid me in doing difficult things, so maybe one day I can do it without them. I don’t really know at this point, this isn’t like my last resort, I still have so many different routes I can take to help my anxiety. Just sometimes it gets so unbearable I feel like I can’t do the simplest of things. I really hope I can get better some day. It was my 18th birthday recently and i’ve been so low and trying every drug under the sun to try ‘self-medicate’ but everything has downsides and negatives. Sometimes I feel like living in my own brain is some kind of punishment. Sorry, i’m being a little bit dramatic, just life can be hard sometimes. Thank you for the insight regardless :)
I can relate a lot to what you said here. I was very young when I too was prescribed benzos for anxiety. You are only 18 and I don't mean that to sound at all superior, I'm just saying, your adult life is just starting and it's hard sometimes during that transition especially (or at least it was for me). Give yourself some time to get used to the reality that life does inherently cause some anxiety. You don't want to end up dependent on these drugs, the withdrawals are crippling and last a very long time in my personal experience. I wish you the best of luck and it sounds like you have a decent head on your shoulders- Trey.

I can relate a lot to what you said here. I was very young when I too was prescribed benzos for anxiety. You are only 18 and I don't mean that to sound at all superior, I'm just saying, your adult life is just starting and it's hard sometimes during that transition especially (or at least it was for me). Give yourself some time to get used to the reality that life does inherently cause some anxiety. You don't want to end up dependent on these drugs, the withdrawals are crippling and last a very long time in my personal experience. I wish you the best of luck and it sounds like you have a decent head on your shoulders- Trey.
No no its okay. I really hope you are doing better now with the benzos. They really are like a forbidden fruit aha. They can be the best sometimes and the worst at other times. Thank you for the wisdom brother. I will take it easy from now on. I’ve made alot of crappy choices and hurt alot of people in the pursuit of trying to escape my reality with drugs. It’s not a nice way to live, i’m hoping I can get better one day tho. And I hope you are well :)

Also when you say dissociatives what do you mean? I’ve tried using ketamine and DXM but only in recreational settings. Do you find that they help you at all?
DXM doesn't work for all, it was an excellent anxiolytic when I was younger, but it comes with a heavy body load which can interfere. Ketamine is very short acting but a decent anxiolytic. Some people get a prolonged effect from taking a dissociative, specially against depression but I think also anxiety. This is beginning to see use in clinics but at the moment these are, at least in the US, prohibitively expensive so if you're not rich you have to do ketamine on your own. It isn't that difficult though.

That said, I know some people are prescribed benzos for a prolonged amount of time, I wonder the same whether benzos can work infinitely or if they inevitably stop working after so and so long like I experienced it with any drug so far, including but not limited to serotonergic antidepressants, opioids, dissociatives.

seems that Buspar (Buspirone) it's better for long-term sustained basal anxiety (GAD).

seems that Buspar (Buspirone) it's better for long-term sustained basal anxiety (GAD).
I was prescribed buspirone and found it to be utterly useless. Only effect were slight brain zaps during the first days, then absolutely nothing. I don't remember the dosage as it was many years ago but it didn't work unfortunately.