• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Does this methadone tapering plan make sense (heroin user)

menidiatis

Bluelighter
First of all happy new year to everyone, health to you and your families and may everyone who wants to get rid of addiction be successful doing so!

I use heroin less than a year and will enrol soon in a methadone program. In another thread I have been told that based on my current heroin use (less than a year, 3 g a day smoked of relatively weak gear, certainly less than 50% ) my methadone dose to prevent WD is 50mg.

Let's assume I am on 50mg methadone daily on February 1st.
1) Does it then make sense to reduce 5mg every week? So that by approximately April 5 I am on 5mg, and then after one week I jump off. Is it even possible possible to do such a taper where so low doses are used?

2) As I am reducing my dosage, since my taper is rather slow, will WDs always be kept at bay, or as I am approaching a lower and lower dosage, eventually I will start getting WDs even though I am still on methadone?

For example, when I am at 10mg, or at 5mg, will WDs still be kept away, or I will start suffering?

3) Also, with my heroin usage in mind, and using such a tapering plan, how bad will the WDs be after I jump off, and for how long should I expect them to last? At the end of the day, is my plan realistic, or there is a high likelihood I will relapse / not reduce my methadone dosage? Please keep in mind I have almost non-existent emotional support in this life, in fact, I have more people on this forum helping me answering my questions than I have friends in real life who are supporting me in quitting this habit.

I also apologize for bombarding the forum with threads upon threads, I have essentially lost my sleep from the anxiety I am going through trying to figure out a solution to kick my habit and I have nobody in real life to ask until the 7th of this month when I will be back in the Netherlands and I have an appointment with the GP. Thank you so much everybody who answers!

I am currently on a methadone taper after being on 65 mg for 12 years. I dropped 5 mg every two weeks and im at 35 right this minute. Honestly if i could go back i wouldnt have chose methadone at all. For being on H for the amount of time you have been I wouldnt stay on very long at all. Looking back I could have took subs or methadone for a week and been good.... if only it was that simple i guess. I will say methadone gave me my life back to where i could build my life back together. Even if it is on a very rocky foundation. Correcting that mistake tho. Good luck in your journey!

In regards to your questions most people dont have much problems until they get down to 30 mg or so. I have had a little stomach discomfort and a few nights i didnt sleep all that well but nothing i couldnt handle . Withdrawls are normally a lot longer in duration for most people than the shorter acting opiates. Some say not as severe as H,oxy, fent but others say its just as bad if not worse. The people I have met that beat it came down really slow, like 1 mg a week slow