• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Drinking alcohol while on Methadone

antsunrise

Greenlighter
Any bad experiences ?

Done it plenty of times while on suboxone/roxxies etc.

Taken 40 MG today. Thanks for any info

I've heard it's more dangerous than drinking on heroin, however dangerous that may be..., falling asleep may be a danger.

I've heard it's more dangerous than drinking on heroin, however dangerous that may be..., falling asleep may be a danger.

Yeah. I'm not worried about how I act. I just worry about health issues or just never waking up heh.

I do have high tolerance to both things. I also take xanax for sleep. Should be fine. Just have to do moderation

Basic combination questions are really more suited for the BDD forum

---> BDD

I take 0.5mg of Xanax 3x a day + 220mg of Methadose 1x daily. I would never add alcohol to that mix and I recommend you don't either.

Very dangerous. Especially with Xanax. And I'm not a "sky is falling!" hyperbolist. Xanax and 'done are one of the most common causes of fatal ODs. Search it up on Google and Opioph***.

I recently did a lot of research on this when my new PM doc put me on methadone for CP (30-40mg day in 3 doses). I've been taking Xanax for therapeutic needs for many years. Keep in mind that I never take Xanax recreationally. It doesn't do anything for me and I've always maintained on a low dose (.5-1.5mg tops. Usually .5mg). It's been great for controlling my anxiety disorders, panic attacks and insomnia, but I'm getting off track.

Adding alcohol to the mix increases the risk geometrically. I know from experience that one can drink 4 beers, take .5 mg Xanax and 30 - 40 mg methadone in a day and be fine (buzzed, not even close to nodding). HR: I am not recommending that. If you have to take your Xanax for medical reasons, just take it real easy.

Everyone reacts differently to drugs so I recommend starting really low with the Xanax. I started at zero and worked up with crumbs because I had been scared to death by most advice I'd gotten on other boards. I was also understandably concerned because I know of dozens of people who have OD'd on done and Xanax. It is a real danger.

You will get some very dire warnings from people. They're right. But if you're extremely careful and don't take your Xanax irresponsibly, you will be okay.

If you're one of the many people who have taken more benzos than you intended in a night, the combo is very dangerous. I've never awakened to find any Xanax missing. But a lot of people do. Just sayin'. Not something to take lightly.

And watch the alcohol. I can't recommend drinking on this combo at all.

Very dangerous. Especially with Xanax. And I'm not a "sky is falling!" hyperbolist. Xanax and 'done are one of the most common causes of fatal ODs. Search it up on Google and Opioph***.

I recently did a lot of research on this when my new PM doc put me on methadone for CP (30-40mg day in 3 doses). I've been taking Xanax for therapeutic needs for many years. Keep in mind that I never take Xanax recreationally. It doesn't do anything for me and I've always maintained on a low dose (.5-1.5mg tops. Usually .5mg). It's been great for controlling my anxiety disorders, panic attacks and insomnia, but I'm getting off track.

Adding alcohol to the mix increases the risk geometrically. I know from experience that one can drink 4 beers, take .5 mg Xanax and 30 - 40 mg methadone in a day and be fine (buzzed, not even close to nodding). HR: I am not recommending that. If you have to take your Xanax for medical reasons, just take it real easy.

Everyone reacts differently to drugs so I recommend starting really low with the Xanax. I started at zero and worked up with crumbs because I had been scared to death by most advice I'd gotten on other boards. I was also understandably concerned because I know of dozens of people who have OD'd on done and Xanax. It is a real danger.

You will get some very dire warnings from people. They're right. But if you're extremely careful and don't take your Xanax irresponsibly, you will be okay.

If you're one of the many people who have taken more benzos than you intended in a night, the combo is very dangerous. I've never awakened to find any Xanax missing. But a lot of people do. Just sayin'. Not something to take lightly.

And watch the alcohol. I can't recommend drinking on this combo at all.

I take 1 MG of xanax every night before bed. I'll just lay low and not drink much. Thanks for info

I obtained Methadone through a drug contact, where i was getting my vallies and DHC, she offered me some one day i took 5ml then through the rest away. I've got another one though in my stash but that won't be getting touched. Another thing to remember with Methadones long duration of action you might not wake up esp with too much drink and i've heard there have been alot of deaths with Methadone and Benzos

That's true, alcohol induces the liver cytochrome enzyme CYP2E1 which plays a part in break down methadone (along with CYP3A4 and possibly CYP2D6); therefor ethanol consumption while taking methadone will result in the methadone being eliminated quicker from the body (and possible withdrawal in MMT patients).

Last edited:
Well. I woke up and survived. Had a lot of dreams a little head ache.

Just took more dones. Only taking them for another 1-2 days.

I did have A LOT of dreams though.

i dont think theres been a time a hadnt had booze wit my done`

not heaps
2 longnecks max , or one , just makes it kik in quicker i rekn , then i stop drinkn

If you are on maintenance and have been for awhile then no real problems apart from i find it makes my methadone leave my system quicker .
On arecreational level this is extremely dangerous and is the cause of more drug related deaths than any other combo
Go easy my friend

I'm from Finland and on 70mg I was alcoholic so my tolerance is sky high still and I drink 18-24 beers when I drink what I noticed I can't feel the alcohol effect to start so much been taking xanax too 2-6mgs and effect on that is passing out but methadone still feels in the mornings.

I just want to say, I'm on the bus but I'll 100% hit this when I have a keyboard. This is in my wheelhouse.

So, here it is. There is commentary that has been made regarding Methadone's relatively greater propensity to produce respriatory depression relative to other Opioids. I'm sure there could be some corellation, but I really belive that what makes Methadone so dangerous is its duration of effect. In general, people use drugs that last for say 4-6 hours on average. You can take 90% of the drugs commonly used and abused and probably find this to be true. Methamphetamine would be an obvious outlier, but I think we all get the gist.

Methadone was basically chosen as the first maintenance drug for its duration of effect. It could be dosed once daily as opposed to 3-4 with Morphine and/or Heroin. I think when people not totally familiar with Methadone take it, they are experiencing a similar timeline and what they get is a drug that doesn't really hit its peak until the 3rd hour.

This often leads folks to redose, drink more etc. I think the biggest danger with drinking and Methadone is that folks don't realize how intoxicated they are and so add on top of it. Otherwise, I really don't think Methadone is inherently more dangerous than any other Opioid, but obviously, we know that drinking on Opoids is inherently dangerous anyway. There are people this very orning not waking up as a result of drinking on Opioids and the majority were nt planning on dying today, I can tell you that much.

Last edited:
Drinkin any alk.on opies are not advisible for me.a beer two is ok,but alc is piwerful&toxic.Most people i know what on painkillers are not drinkers

Wouldnt drink on opioids, maybe a little Bit before, this can potentiate the high but drinking while on opioids destroys the opioid high.

I certainly drank while on methadone. No health problems, but I ended up getting a DUI and spending 30 days in jail-- in withdrawals and receiving zero medication.

That was horrible.

Wouldnt drink on opioids, maybe a little Bit before, this can potentiate the high but drinking while on opioids destroys the opioid high.
On a couple of occasions, I was surprised by a small amount of alcohol (~2 drinks/30ml ETOH) greatly enhancing my opiate high. It seemed counterintuitive to me since alcohol & opiates have usually mixed poorly.

Personally I always drank with opioids... but then again I add alcohol to literally everything, prototypical polyaddict.

But I definitely drank less than usual if combining.