• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Drug overdose deaths top 100,000 annually for the first time, driven by fentanyl, CDC data show

Anyone else find it shocking that this seemed to go unnoticed by the vast majority of people?

This is a true crisis and it seemed to just be swept under the rug.

I wonder, was it intentionally brushed away or are people's heads too far up their ass from covid/politics?
I’ve wondered this too.

Whenever I mention it to people they typically say something like “oh wow that’s crazy” and then chalk it up to opioids or pharmaceutical companies or something else without really thinking about the deeper issue of why the opioids have become dangerous

If you consider the total number of overdose deaths in the last few decades it’s easily surpassed Covid deaths (I think, don’t quote me in that). Granted, Covid moved at a rapid pace so it grabbed peoples attention.

But my personal opinion is that they see Covid deaths as those of “innocent people” whereas with overdoses it was their own fault. Very few say this explicitly but it’s the vibe i often pick up.

In talking with my parents who are both classical Democrats, so to speak, they typically just haven some grumblings about pharma companies.

And when I explain that very few people who are prescribed an opioid actually go on to become addicted they still maintain their position that the pharma companies got us here and that somehow retaining anger at them will solve today’s problem

When the overdose figure is brought up the focus is always on pharma companies and never on punitive drug policy, homelessness, etc.

And no I’m not here to defend big pharma. They are blood sucking leeches. But direct that anger at the current medical establishment like doctors and nurses who maintain disgusting levels of stigma.

Sorry this reply ended up being much longer than I intended. You brought up a really good point that I think about a lot actually, so I wanted to share.

Drug overdose deaths top 100,000 annually for the first time, driven by fentanyl, CDC data show
Deidre McPhillips
CNN
17 Nov 2021

Read the full story here.
I see no reason for the cartels and anyone who else does other than the purpose to kill people. Something is going on folks; dealers can't deal to dead people. And it's in everything now, even the pot. If things where like this when I was young, I would never have smoked my first J. I think they are being made to do this by someone and for some reason. I know it may sound a little crazy at first but the more you think about it the more it seems to make sense.

I see no reason for the cartels and anyone who else does other than the purpose to kill people. Something is going on folks; dealers can't deal to dead people. And it's in everything now, even the pot. If things where like this when I was young, I would never have smoked my first J. I think they are being made to do this by someone and for some reason. I know it may sound a little crazy at first but the more you think about it the more it seems to make sense.
Fent showing up in weed? Ehh I feel like that's isolated if anything and some dumb fuck low level dealer. Source?

The cartels obviously don't care if they're killing people. Look at what they do to their own people and country.

Although, I do agree there is likely some force which is allowing this to continue unchecked, that is almost obvious, speaking for the US here.

Political gain/leverage? Private prisons? Police unions? Private rehab sector? Morticians? Pharma companies? Insurance companies?

It's quite scary how many people actually reap HUGE profits off of this crisis... I think that's why it isn't being stopped. Terrifying, really...

Drug overdose deaths top 100,000 annually for the first time, driven by fentanyl, CDC data show
Deidre McPhillips
CNN
17 Nov 2021

Read the full story here.
Or so that is what the CDC says.. Which could be true.. But kind of puts a different perspective on the '' war on drugs ''.. I mean Interesting.. But seems to me the finger pointing is disguise to the truth

Where I used to live, "Blues" (fake oxy 30's pressed with fent) were commonplace. They were really cheap too. So, I knew a lot of people who did 'em, including myself. I OD'd once on them, mostly cause I took addy earlier and couldn't realize how high I was. Still, "Blues" are very dangerous. I only smoked them, and still OD'd. Couldn't imagine the dangerousness of any other ROA.

What bothers me the most about this...is thst people died chasing the most underwhelming of all opiate highs, such a shame. Fentanyl has no euphoria tbh....:(
I used fentanyl by itself for the first time yesterday. Smoked and IV'd (had a bad experience IV'd). It was indeed a little underwhelming. However, I could see how people would use fentanyl if that's all they could get, it's "something to get high off of". And when you're an addict, you have that mentality.

I used fentanyl by itself for the first time yesterday. Smoked and IV'd (had a bad experience IV'd). It was indeed a little underwhelming. However, I could see how people would use fentanyl if that's all they could get, it's "something to get high off of". And when you're an addict, you have that mentality.
When I was an active iv user, I was addicted to morphine ampoules 20mg/ml. My plug one day was dry and I was starting to sweat hot/cold and he told me he only had fentanyl(it was pharma though, the one in the picture 500mcg/10ml or 0.5mg/10ml.) The worst part was that they were 50%, more expensive that the morphine. I had no choice, either cope that or sweat my ass off till he reupped the next day. I was like fk it and bought 4 of em,) I immediately left for the nearest McDonald's like 2 blocks away. I entered the bathroom, locked myself into a small and proceeded to bang 40 ml of liquid. Fentanyl has a very subtle rush and the wds were gone immediately. I had to do like 5 shots to get all the liquid in my system, as soon as I put the syringe in my pocket.... I was ko'd. Next thing I know, while I stsrt to come around I hear knocking on the door and 10 secs later BOOM they forced the door and open it. It was the security guard from the McDonald's + 2 other guys from the district security(they were not cops, thank god) he saw Me "sleeping" according to what he said and started yelling at me ,:" (this Is no place to sleep kid,) at the same time he was saying this I started going down stairs and exited the place real Quick, I still don't know how I managed to not pass out while shooting the last ampoule but I was still walking fast cuz the other works and the empty ampoules were in the trash can. When I was like 3 blocks away and finally safe I lit up a cig and thought to myself "so this ls the shit ppl are dying for in the states,". I was high as fk still, I felt very sedated, driftin on and out of conciousness. I felt warm but didn't feel the usual euphoria u get from oxys or morphine. I was thinking, " wst a waste of fking money". The high only lasted like 40 mins and after 3-4 hrs it was gone completely. Usually a 100mg shot would hold me for 18-20hrs but with frnt after 12 hrs I was starting to wd again. I shot the fent 6-7pm by 7 am I was sweating really bad again snd I had to go to work. I had to call my dealer before work at 6am to front me 3 ampoules so I could get by at work... anyway my conclusión abt fent was thst it was super strong, no euphoria at all, it didn't last at all and I almost od'D. CONCLUSION 0/10 worst opioid ever and thst was the last time I did fent, it's been 5 years, never again.
Here's a picture of it

I read your whole novella and it was amazing informative.

But when I got to the part about the bathroom. OMG it reminded me about back in the day when I lived in Cali, my friend from Laguna.

Beach that is Laguna Beach was telling me about when he shot up.

He was like it was the Super Bowl the weekend Sunday or something like that.

So yeah it was the weekend and all the Drunks were out at those beach and sport bars and they were all out there like everywhere just crowding up the Beach Area for the Big Game.

So yeah they were ALL drinking and pissing.

So he goes to this pizza place or it was some nice restaurant place and he asked to use the bathroom and bolted himself in and shoots up and knocks out cold.

AHHAAAAA Loool.

So funny cause he said there were Drunks loosing their Piss lined up all around the block all the way down to the coast almost.

And they were all screaming and flipping omg and he didn't hear a thing and then they were ALL beating on the bathroom because it was Superbowl Sunday like and they were everywhere.

So the owner called the police and they and the EMS beat the door in and took him away in the ambulance and he was in so much trouble

BUT he almost caused a riot on Superbowl Day.

And we were like dying laughing and rolling in the sand in Laguna at how angry the CROWD was at him. Fuck we were laughing so hard I almost stopped breathing.

It must be like a common occurrence. And Epic during a Super Bowl. 😁 💉

edit:
Well at least he was safe. It was before fentanyl.

Last edited:
When I was an active iv user, I was addicted to morphine ampoules 20mg/ml. My plug one day was dry and I was starting to sweat hot/cold and he told me he only had fentanyl(it was pharma though, the one in the picture 500mcg/10ml or 0.5mg/10ml.) The worst part was that they were 50%, more expensive that the morphine. I had no choice, either cope that or sweat my ass off till he reupped the next day. I was like fk it and bought 4 of em,) I immediately left for the nearest McDonald's like 2 blocks away. I entered the bathroom, locked myself into a small and proceeded to bang 40 ml of liquid. Fentanyl has a very subtle rush and the wds were gone immediately. I had to do like 5 shots to get all the liquid in my system, as soon as I put the syringe in my pocket.... I was ko'd. Next thing I know, while I stsrt to come around I hear knocking on the door and 10 secs later BOOM they forced the door and open it. It was the security guard from the McDonald's + 2 other guys from the district security(they were not cops, thank god) he saw Me "sleeping" according to what he said and started yelling at me ,:" (this Is no place to sleep kid,) at the same time he was saying this I started going down stairs and exited the place real Quick, I still don't know how I managed to not pass out while shooting the last ampoule but I was still walking fast cuz the other works and the empty ampoules were in the trash can. When I was like 3 blocks away and finally safe I lit up a cig and thought to myself "so this ls the shit ppl are dying for in the states,". I was high as fk still, I felt very sedated, driftin on and out of conciousness. I felt warm but didn't feel the usual euphoria u get from oxys or morphine. I was thinking, " wst a waste of fking money". The high only lasted like 40 mins and after 3-4 hrs it was gone completely. Usually a 100mg shot would hold me for 18-20hrs but with frnt after 12 hrs I was starting to wd again. I shot the fent 6-7pm by 7 am I was sweating really bad again snd I had to go to work. I had to call my dealer before work at 6am to front me 3 ampoules so I could get by at work... anyway my conclusión abt fent was thst it was super strong, no euphoria at all, it didn't last at all and I almost od'D. CONCLUSION 0/10 worst opioid ever and thst was the last time I did fent, it's been 5 years, never again.
Here's a picture of it

I like how you summed fentanyl up.

My experience was identical.

I like how you summed fentanyl up.

My experience was identical.
Girl, don't u see the GIANT LETTERS ON THE AMPOULE? FEEÉNTTÁANNNIILLLLOO"*****
Well what u had was real purefentanyl,so shitty effects inmit****
Not even with repeated exposure to it, I'd get used to it.fuckit.
Anyway, we survived to tell it.... cheers gaaaaal,
nico.

You know what I find lacking when it comes to Fentanyl is the lack of discussion about the signs and symptoms of having overdone it on a particular occasion. There's no shortage (obviously) of discussions and observations of what's after the fact. Just an observation. I guess it's easy or intuitive for a regular user to know instinctively that they've crossed a line. But not so for a novice and unsuspecting user is my point.
Go to endoverdose.net !!! They have training on opioid reversal and free narcan. They tell you what to look for.

As the economics show - fentanyl is vastly profitable and so distributers prefer it. 80% of users sought H over fentanyl, only 16% sought fentanyl over H. Of course, the US seems to be swamped by 'plain vanilla' fentanyl. The Russian experience was that users enjoyed one analogue over another.

Now etonitazene & BDPC analogues are turning up and their are MANY more novel scaffolds still in the literature but not on the street (yet).

Last edited:
omg. at least before the fentanyl days mortality wasn't as random and commonplace as it seems to be right now. oh wow.
this is definitely an ongoing situ. ☹

Where I used to live, "Blues" (fake oxy 30's pressed with fent) were commonplace. They were really cheap too. So, I knew a lot of people who did 'em, including myself. I OD'd once on them, mostly cause I took addy earlier and couldn't realize how high I was. Still, "Blues" are very dangerous. I only smoked them, and still OD'd. Couldn't imagine the dangerousness of any other ROA.
same here, totally relate

Forgive me for this possibly but it is said that fentanyl was involved but my daughter lost a friend that was a combination of cocaine, Vicodin, and of course her drug of choice which was actually alcohol, crown Royal. Of the 100,000 deaths how many were actually possible overdose on alcohol but just had fentanyl in them and they blame the fentanyl instead?

Here’s an idea. Stop making prescription opioids impossible to get. At least if they are prescribed by a doctor people might take as directed and not have to go on the street and buy dangerous pills laced with fentanyl. This war on drugs is targeting the wrong people. They want the same shit with gun control. Make it impossible to get a gun legally so people will just go out and buy them illegally with no regulation and oversight.

Forgive me for this possibly but it is said that fentanyl was involved but my daughter lost a friend that was a combination of cocaine, Vicodin, and of course her drug of choice which was actually alcohol, crown Royal. Of the 100,000 deaths how many were actually possible overdose on alcohol but just had fentanyl in them and they blame the fentanyl instead?
A lot. Alcohol poisoning deaths are rare compared with opioid overdoses which are rarer than both in combination along w/other drugs of abuse like benzos. But unless the person is a public figure or from a rich family toxicology post-mortems listing all drugs believed to have a contributing role are the exception