• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction DXM

Robi

Bluelighter
Been hearing alot of this, i have done little research, but apparently one pounds down a cough med with that DXM in it,and is it very addictive???i should just look it up in depth but i do trust in many of you so much that you will give me the good and bad experiences or any info ty

Last edited:
From a harm reduction point, please make sure your syrup has only DXM as an active ingredient. You don't want guaifenesin or anything else in it. As for the experience, I enjoyed it. The trip can have a dark edge to it and made everything feel very far away, with some interesting black and white closed eye visuals and auditory effects. Some people really enjoy it, some hate it, so your mileage may vary, but I probably wouldn't start with a high dose. Maybe start with half a bottle. Also, the polistirex version of DXM is extended-release, so I never touched the stuff.

I wouldn't say it's really addictive. Most people only use it if they can't find a more appropriate psychedelic.

The experience is okay, sometimes very enjoyable but not without extreme stomach gurggles and shits. Drinking the syrup is hell.

Also the experience kinda loses it's magic after a few dozen trips.

The best advice I can give for DXM use is to get pure powder. Cough gels and syrup, even ones containing only DXM, cause a far more physically unpleasant effect. Pure DXM is so much better that the first time I tried it, I couldn't believe it was the same drug. The nausea and other GI distress are almost entirely absent when using pure powder.

I've never considered DXM to be particularly fun or abuseable. I find the experience to be slightly dysphoric and kinda weird. I've never had visuals or any magic from DXM alone at any dose. (even with cannabis)

I think it takes a certain type of person to get addicted to it. Most people don't like it.

The best use I've found for it is to add to other highs, particularly psychedelics. Dangerous when combined in high dose with other CNS depressants and other medications.

It was one of the most fascinating dissocistives ever. And I was a big dissociative addict using all the RC dissocistive. Dxm is magic it's really its own fucking thing. Such a dark odd trip makes mxe look vanilla in comparison.

It has a heavy body load thats why it's usually not tolerated among many users and not that addictive to them. I had a thing for it though if you can stand puking and thinking you are dying for hours.

Been hearing alot of this, i have done little research, but apparently one pounds down a cough med with that DXM in it,and is it very addictive???i should just look it up in depth but i do trust in many of you so much that you will give me the good and bad experiences or any info ty

In my case, DXM was, and most likely still would be super addictive. I used that stuff for about 1.5 years, without many days off. That was a long time ago. 2005-2006 or so, maybe.

Yes, cough syrup. But the cough syrup contained so much sorbitol, that i had to do some stuff to it before taking the DXM. If taken as cough syrup, yes, a trip will come. But it kinda ruins the vibes when you are tripping while having a furious diarrhea for a few hours. I will say i did "some stuff" to the cough syrup, because this is a harm reduction thread. And to be honest i am not too comfortable with the idea of teaching it to anyone. I spent 1.5 years of my life in a place and a state of being i called, and still call "Robot reality". DXM can be super addictive to certain individuals. Like me.

Great thread by the way. Great replies. These have been mentioned: "The trip has a dark edge to it". True. "No visuals, even with cannabis". True. "Avoid this drug". True.

I had access to drugs like LSD and Magic mushrooms at the time i was doing DXM. I wanted DXM.

The only drug i occasionally miss... with a strong sense of nostalgia... From my "active career" using and experimenting with a lot of various substances... Is DXM. I won't do it anymore. Not even once "for old times' sake" or for any excuse. I am getting older here, and i don't want to take the risk of wasting 1.5 years again, in the robot reality.

I remember as kids we'd take these Hustenstiller they were called,
w DXM in them, it was Spring Festival time
We'd watch the lights on the bumper cars for hours, don't know much else but that.

I guess it was fun, not as insane as my first shroom trip,
but it is trippy. I didn't feel so good though, bit nauseated - so I have to assume that it's not too good for the stomach.
Maybe i didn't eat well

From a harm reduction point, please make sure your syrup has only DXM as an active ingredient. You don't want guaifenesin or anything else in it. As for the experience, I enjoyed it. The trip can have a dark edge to it and made everything feel very far away, with some interesting black and white closed eye visuals and auditory effects. Some people really enjoy it, some hate it, so your mileage may vary, but I probably wouldn't start with a high dose. Maybe start with half a bottle. Also, the polistirex version of DXM is extended-release, so I never touched the stuff.
what happens if it has guafinisen( mine does)

what happens if it has guafinisen( mine does)

you will almost certainly vomit, but not much other than that at sub gram doses

I've tried it a few times, anything over 400-600mg of guaf and I puke about 20-40 min later every time, extreme nausea, and the bulk of your DXM dose will be gone

it also has CNS depressing effects and other interaction at higher doses which you definitely want to avoid potentially very dangerous

Last edited:
In my case, DXM was, and most likely still would be super addictive. I used that stuff for about 1.5 years, without many days off. That was a long time ago. 2005-2006 or so, maybe.

Yes, cough syrup. But the cough syrup contained so much sorbitol,
That sorbitol was indeed annoying. Like vomiting from your ass.

Avoid if you can't get lozenge's, pill's or gelly egg's.

first plat felt nothing. borderline between second and third i felt like i was disintegratin from reality, body was kinetic sand, no euphorai whatsoever. jus ttrapped in a dark hole with my brain on fire. added weed edible around T+3 hours which didnt make me any more lucid.

then again dont take my experience as the rule rather tjhe exception; im losing differential effecnts from anything these days. it all feels the sam: all round dysphoria, bujgs crawlig on me, my skin turning inside out, black hole for innards. whther its weed, dxm, alcohol, amps (this ones a thin line, have been able to wring a bit of euphoria from thse but its inconsistent and happening less and less). havent been able to get any good benzos or opis recently so cant compare those. it all feels electric in a bad way. pretty sure im going crazy. these highs are making it worse but i was getting worse before i ever tried anything and it doesnt improve when im sober. im probably prodromal for somethign or other.

Last edited:
I'm going to restate the fact that it's very very important the only active ingredient is DXM. As for the high, I like it, kind of like ketamine, but with a bit of psilocybin in there. I didn't get a whole lot of visuals but the mind fuck is intense at higher doses. 200mg has me tripping fucking balls but I seem to be oddly sensitive to it. I wouldn't say it's addictive.

I’m addicted to dxm right now, if I try to stop I get withdrawals, and I get pretty bad cravings for it if I haven’t done any for 3-4 days

I’m addicted to dxm right now, if I try to stop I get withdrawals, and I get pretty bad cravings for it if I haven’t done any for 3-4 days
What symptoms do you get, opioid withdrawal like or depression? In the days when I've been addicted to dissociatives I would get heavy rebound depression and feelings of mental overstimulation, sensory noise (glutamate rebound).

DXM can be very addictive indeed, it was the first drug ever I tried and only stopped using it when it turned into some weird psychosis inducing agent (whilst I can still use arylcyclohexylamine derived dissos - almost like my brain became allergic to the DXM), the first times it was indeed much like a cousin of MDMA.
It's essential not to use products with other active ingredients yeah and not to combine with serotonergics, like SSRI antidepressants.
Notice it's more of a stimulant (primarily, but not only, due to potent norepinephrine reuptake inhibition) than a sedative and can be neurotoxic if over-used.

It depends probably on your genes and liver enzyme activity if & what effects you get from a given dose and whether they are pleasant or not. Primary one is 2D6 but DXM has a complex metabolism which involves more than one enzyme.

Dextrometorphan.Used to supress caughing in syrops.Can act like dissos at certain dose.Never tried disso-nor ketamine nor salvia.Its not atractive at all to me.But know that particularly ket is effective painkiller with AD properties..Do to DXM tried half a bottle once(300 mg?)may be and didn't feel anything.But there is fans of this substance,i know that