• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Expired Hyoscine Hydrobromide (scopolamine) a good idea?

Energysausage

Bluelighter
So I just found a box of motion sickness pills that expired in may 2000.
Would it be safe to take the pills or could it cause me harm? I assume that like most pills they just won't be as strong anymore but you never know.

Also i am aware that they are deliriants and probably won't make for a hugely enjoyable trip, but i've never tried any deliriants before and figure it's worth one try.

Hello, please do not take expired pills as old as this. 12 years isn't trivial. You could have some health issues, especially with a drug such as scopolamine. It's a dangerous drug which can leave you permanently injured psychologically.

i've never tried any deliriants before and figure it's worth one try.

No it's not.

I've yet to personally meet someone who took a large dose of deliriants and enjoyed the experience. As far as your medication being old enough to enter puberty... I'd still be more concerned about WHAT you are taking then how old it is.

Listen to loulou.

Hello, please do not take expired pills as old as this. 12 years isn't trivial. You could have some health issues, especially with a drug such as scopolamine. It's a dangerous drug which can leave you permanently injured psychologically.

No it's not.

I have been doing some research in the meantime and found this among other things regarding expiry dates.

"Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date."

from this link: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml

From what i have read it seems that the vast majority of medications (not including liquid medications) are safe for a long time past their 'use by dates'.

And do you honestly think it's (or deliriants in general) are not even worth one try? The dose would only be 2.7mg as well which is quite small.

Do you have any experience with deliriants?

Medications could be safe 15 years after the expiration date, but that does not mean they are. Although I've taken medications (benzodiazepines and opiates, for the most part) expired for a long time, I would'nt touch 15 year old scopolamine with a ten foot pole.

Yes I have experience with deliriants. Enough to know they aren't worth the nightmarish trip and the sequels they will grant you if you take too much of them.

Personally I would be more concerned about the extreme unpleasantness and dangers of taking this drug recreationally than the fact that the pills are expired. I don't know anyone who thought it was fun or wanted to do it again, and I have known people who were traumatized by the experience or ended up in the hospital. It is also not safe when used in large doses. Not worth it at all. How much were you thinking of taking? And what effects were you hoping for - are you merely considering doing it out of pure curiosity?

Last edited:
Personally I would be more concerned about the extreme unpleasantness and dangers of taking this drug recreationally than the fact that the pills are expired. I don't know anyone who thought it was fun or wanted to do it again, and I have known people who were traumatized by the experience or ended up in the hospital. It is also not safe when used in large doses. Not worth it at all. How much were you thinking of taking? And what effects were you hoping for - are you merely considering doing it out of pure curiosity?

Well it's a box of 10 0.3mg pills. One I already consumed years ago, the other 9 are still there. So theres 2.7mg total.
I guess i'm just looking to experience a mild deliriant 'trip'. Yes im just considering it out of curiosity as i have no experience with deliriants, might not be an enjoyable trip but I want to try most things at least once before I die.

Hmm, 2.7mg eh? Dosing is tough with scopolamine, especially since that's all you have - I would normally recommend you start low and gradually raise the dose if needed (if you are insistent on doing it). Some people get intense crazy results - psychosis, anticholinergic syndrome, etc - from normal therapeutic doses (the max therapeutic dose is listed as 1.2mg in 24 hrs but people can and do get symptoms even within that dose). I am very sensitive to it and notice effects just from being given scopolamine eye drops at the optometrist's. I would say ~3mg is probably an average starting recreational dose, but I have heard some people say they didn't feel much even at that dose, whereas some get unexpectedly intense results. There's no way to really predict what 2.7mg will do to you, but I don't think it is very likely to be lethal in the average person at least. 10mg can be lethal. Personally I would just avoid this drug. You will likely either find it disappointing and not get much of the effects you were hoping for, or find it excessively intense and unpleasant, physically and mentally. You may forget you took a drug and think you have gone insane or you may just forget what happened. Or you may just feel sick and uncoordinated.

have a read of the trip reports in the erowid vault if the warnings here aren't enough to deter you from experimenting with the scopolamine.

A mild deliriant experience isn't too bad tbh. A neighbor of mine used to grow detura, and would give the plants too me, which I dried and used as cigarette replacements. I got that scopolamine buzz, but didn't go ape shit will ingesting it that way. If you get into true visionary doses you will be in a world of regret and complete delerium though.

Well in the end I did end up trying it last night. Downed all nine pills at around 8 and just waited, after an hour I started getting very, very mild visuals. Whenever I looked at a far away object/area in my room it seemed as though there was light rain sprinkling down in front of it. This excited me a little bit and I thought things were about to get more intense...but an hour later with no new effects to add the table i decided to go bed.

Now this proved hard as the scopolamine seemed to have raised my body temperature or something, I couldn't get comfortable no matter what and was sweating a little (it's winter here where I live). I'd doze in and out of sleep and kept hearing strange noises and clicking sounds, then when ever i'd open my eyes my whole room would be spinning and throbbing around at irregular speeds. Shadows seemed to dance around out of the corner of my eyes as well. A little creeped out i just did my best to ignore it and fall sleep. 5 hours later, I finally fell asleep. :|

Overall a very boring and irritating experience. Don't think I would like to repeat this drug even at a higher dose, just has a really creepy vibe about it.
Probably should have listened to you guys.

Ah well live and learn.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention the god awful dry mouth that no amount of water could fix!

Dont mess with Scopolamine.

This evil drug is even worse than PCP....

Your better off taking Dramamine.

And I wonder why the FDA does not take it off the market? I mean really....Its more potent than LSD and PCP when it comes to its hallucinogenic effects.
Many of these pills are even sold OTC in some countries. I dont get it. Any kid can buy this and take it and trip his or her mind off.

^The reason these types of drugs are available OTC is because taking high doses is usually very unpleasant and therefore they are not perceived to have much "abuse potential". Drug laws are arbitrary and politically and financially motivated anyway.

Last edited: