Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Favourite Drug based Movie

Which is your favourite drug themed movie?

• Around The Fire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barfly

• The Basketball Diaries

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Belly

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Blow

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • Candy

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Cheech & Chong ...

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Clockers

• Deep Cover

• Drugstore Cowboy

Votes: 28 6.1%
  • Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Votes: 92 20.1%
  • Go

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Grass

• Half Baked

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • How High

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Human Traffic

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • hurlyburly

• It's All Gone Pete Tong

• Layer Cake

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Leaving Las Vegas

• Less Than Zero

• Little Fish

• Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • The Man with The Golden Arm

• Maria Full of Grace

• Naked Lunch

• New Jack City

• Paid in Full

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Reefer Madness

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Requiem For A Dream

Votes: 54 11.8%
  • Rush

• The Salton Sea

Votes: 13 2.8%
  • Scarface

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Sid & Nancy

• Spun

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • Traffic

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Trainspotting

Votes: 75 16.4%
  • True Romance

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Wasted

• ......none of the above.....

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • A Scanner Darkly

• Total voters
Trainspotting will always have a special place in my heart. That's what I voted for because it portrays heroin addiction and growing up in it so alarmingly accurately. It's a tough subject to tackle without being heavy handed. But as far as pure story telling goes it's hard to best Traffic. The interconnected subplots superb acting and cinematography make it a great movie instead of just a great drug movie. Plus the ending speech is pretty amazing. "How do you fight a war against your family?"

I don't know about favorite, but Kill the Messenger was a good movie about an interesting topic that not a lot of people seem to know about. I think largely because it sounds somewhat insane and it's kind of confusing. It's a movie about the guy who first brought it to mainstream attention that the CIA helped smuggle in cocaine in the 1980's to help fund a war (supplies, equipment, guns) for the Nicaraguan contras in an effort to prevent future communist uprisings that were happening throughout South America. Once they were within 50 miles of the Panama Canal that was too close for US concerns.

It's got Jeremy Renner and was a good watch. Omar from The Wire makes a good cameo.

"Crack cocaine and national security in the same sentence? And that doesn't seem weird to you?"

Last edited:
I really liked Spun, though I've never done meth. I thought the characters were really good. Fear and Loathing's a classic. And Drugstore Cowboys was really good.

And although it wasn't necessarily about drugs, the Wolf of Wallstreet was fueled by drugs. And it had some classic scenes in particular, like where leo and jonah hill smoke crack in the beginning. And the quaalude scene is a classic.

I thought the American dream was Scarface?

Come over with nothing, make something of yourself, get rich, have massive piles of cocaine.

Edit:

Damn it! I knew I fucked that up. It's been a while since I heard Tony Montana say that. I have much fonder recollections of Homer saying it. I think people are offering Don Homer donuts in the street.

[paraphrasing]
First you get the money. Then you get the power, then you get the women.

Last edited:
For me Trainspotting - that's not to say that other films on the list are just as good or even better, such as Fear & Loathing or Requiem for a Dream. It's just that I was 15 when this was released; therefore, for over half my life my friends and I have quoted and referenced this film at least once every time we speak, I could probably recite the whole thing I've seen it that many times. Robert Carlyle's performance as Begbie is awesome, he nails the Scottish hardman image. Plus the book is a cracker.

Mikey Forrester... Russian Sailors..? What the fuck are you boys on...?

My absolute favorite is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I have watched it 100 times, both sober and fucked up and it get better and better everytime i watch it. My next favorite is Wolf of Wall Street, and then Trainspotting.

Would you say Wolf Of Wall Street is a drug based film though? Yeah, there is certainly plenty of drug abuse in it, but that was the lifestyle of the characters rather than the main force behind the story. It's like saying Goodfellas is a drug based film due to the obscene amount of coke Henry Hill took and the money he made, especially towards the end.

Fear and Loathing and Trainspotting are 100% obviously as without the drugs there is no story.

I actually watched Goodfellas again the other night at a Drive thru thingy here in Glasgow, which was a bit of a novelty in Scotland. An absolute classic of a film, my girlfriend had never seen it, can you believe that shit? Drive thru was a bit shit, the screen they had wasn't massive, it was like holding an iPhone at arms length. Still fun though, first time I have ever done that.

Last edited:
^
I think they only focused on cocaine in Goodfellas because Scorsese has an intimate knowledge of it. The real Henry Hill was selling and using not only cocaine, but heroin as well.

Pretty much all of these movies mentioned have great quotes in them. I mean I don't know how many times I've said "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster." It's not true, but what a great quote.

I haven't felt this good since Archie Gemmill scored against Holland in 1978!

"Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?"

Now that's an accurate quote!

So in the end, was it worth it? Jesus Christ. How irreparably changed my life has become. It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in. I'll grant you I've had more than my share of poignant moments. Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it. Throughout my lifetime, I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there's almost not enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door.

Last edited:
^
I think they only focused on cocaine in Goodfellas "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster." It's not true, but what a great quote.

Haha, my 4 year old daughter says that because she's heard me say it so many times.

Trainspotting is full of belters too, especially Begbie and I never tire of repeating them:

'for four fuckin' grand... one palm tree, a couple of rocks and a fuckin' sewage outflow...'

'Well, this is a good fuckin' laugh, ain't it? You better sweat that shite oot a yer system. 'Cause if I come back and it's still here... ah'll fuckin' kick it oot. Okay?'

I really liked Spun, though I've never done meth. I thought the characters were really good. Fear and Loathing's a classic. And Drugstore Cowboys was really good.

And although it wasn't necessarily about drugs, the Wolf of Wallstreet was fueled by drugs. And it had some classic scenes in particular, like where leo and jonah hill smoke crack in the beginning. And the quaalude scene is a classic.

Spun was pretty accurate in certain ways, like how the main character was of such vital importance to everyone in the film, even "the Cook", simply because he had a running automobile and could give rides lol. Totally accurate when it comes to hardcore tweakers.

Added "A Scanner Darkly" because it's better than all the other movies listed.

ebola

Fear and Loathing makes no real sense it's like a trip just watching it. And Requiem for a Dream was shite. Blow and Trainspotting are both great from the perspectives they cover. Basketball Diaries is my favorite as it covers things from the view of the kid that gets hooked.