• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

First US Marijuana Cafe Opens in Oregon

rm-rf

Bluelight Crew
The United States' first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, posing an early test of the Obama administration's move to relax policing of medical use of the drug.

The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it -- as long as they are out of public view -- despite a federal ban.

"This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members," said Madeline Martinez, Oregon's executive director of NORML, a group pushing for marijuana legalization.

"Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," said Martinez. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."

The cafe -- in a two-story building which formerly housed a speak-easy and adult erotic club Rumpspankers -- is technically a private club, but is open to any Oregon residents who are NORML members and hold an official medical marijuana card.

Members pay $25 per month to use the 100-person capacity cafe. They don't buy marijuana, but get it free over the counter from "budtenders". Open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., it serves food but has no liquor license.

There are about 21,000 patients registered to use marijuana for medical purposes in Oregon. Doctors have prescribed marijuana for a host of illnesses, including Alzheimer's, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and Tourette's syndrome.

On opening day, reporters invited to the cafe could smell, but were not allowed to see, people smoking marijuana.

"I still run a coffee shop and events venue, just like I did before we converted it to the Cannabis Cafe, but now it will be cannabis-themed," said Eric Solomon, the owner of the cafe, who is looking forward to holding marijuana-themed weddings, film festivals and dances in the second-floor ballroom.

NO PROSECUTION

The creation of the cafe comes almost a month after the Obama administration told federal attorneys not to prosecute patients who use marijuana for medical reasons or dispensaries in states which have legalized them.

About a dozen states, including Oregon, followed California's 1996 move to adopt medical marijuana laws, allowing the drug to be cultivated and sold for medical use. A similar number have pending legislation or ballot measures planned.

Pot cafes, known as "coffee shops", are popular in the Dutch city of Amsterdam, where possession of small amounts of marijuana is legal. Portland's Cannabis Cafe is the first of its kind to open in the United States, according to NORML.

Growing, possessing, distributing and smoking marijuana are still illegal under U.S. federal law, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational use.

Federal and local law enforcement agencies did not return phone calls from Reuters on Friday seeking comment on the Portland cafe's operations.

"To have a place that is this open about its activities, where people can come together and smoke -- I say that's pretty amazing." said Tim Pate, a longtime NORML member, at the cafe.

Some locals are hoping it might even be good for business.

"I know some neighbors are pretty negative about this place opening up," said David Bell, who works at a boutique that shares space with the cafe. "But I'm withholding judgment. There's no precedent for it. We don't know what to expect. But it would great if it brought some customers into our store."

By Dan Cook

(Writing by Bill Rigby; editing by Mohammad Zargham)

SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator:
FRONT PAGE PLZ! Requesting a favor for the forum's former mod :-D

is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it
thats BULLSHIT ive been to many weed clinics and they even give me free samples
the first time I smoked out of a 6 foot bong was in a clinic 4 years ago

whats a cafe?
I assure you what I was in was whatever you define it as
watch, prove me right

Pancakes

A weed clinic isn't a cafe.

I'm going with Bob on this one. Just 'cause you blazed in a store doesn't mean its a cafe. barney's in amsterdam is a cafe, you can hit a volcano and eat pancakes while sipping on coffee. Hitting a six foot bong is cool, but no pancakes...:(

This is bullshit. There are a few hash bars in Los Angeles which have been open for a few years now. Not too many people know about them, but they are totally legit and chill. This is bullshit, Oregon isn't the first to do this. California is.

Who gives a shit who was first? This is actually happening on US soil which is fucking awesome.

Yeah well I just wanted to point out that this isn't some new ground breaking thing. It's been going on around here for awhile now.

why dont you post their address, which in the case of the p-town spot, is PUBLIC knowledge

they make some DANK food there, too

p-town ftw

This is bullshit. There are a few hash bars in Los Angeles which have been open for a few years now. Not too many people know about them, but they are totally legit and chill. This is bullshit, Oregon isn't the first to do this. California is.

Who cares? The more that open and make headlines without having to hide them is all the better! This can only provide more hope that other states will begin to legalize it until it is federally. GREAT ARTICLE

Holy shit this is amazing! I was not expecting this kind of development so soon in the states.

Can patients legally permitted to use marijuana in other states use this service?

Can patients legally permitted to use marijuana in other states use this service?

i read somewhere that you have to be an oregon resident.

edit: it seems like you either have to be an oregon resident, or a member of NORML

The one-of-its-kind café is not exactly open to the general public, but any Oregon resident who holds an official medical marijuana card as well as any NORML member can come to obtain and smoke the drug, as long as they stick to state laws and smoke out of public view, the reports says.

source

Finder:Who gives a shit who was first? This is actually happening on US soil which is fucking awesome.

Bet you can't guess where the first place in history under US jurisdiction to decriminalize cannabis was. By the way I agree with you- who gives a fuck whose first- that is awsome.%)

"By the way...whose on second"

Wow! I am excited because it is a therapy not wrapped around big pharma's fingers!!!!! If they could patent pot it would be in every pharmacy in every country on the planet.

I was suprised to see that in the 7th para that it is approved for Tourette's. I have had a moderate form of tourette's all my life and used to be embarased if anyone saw an obvious tick ( I incorporate most ticks into "normal" looking movements and can supress most of them to a degree for a period of time, after which they come "out" pretty hard for an hour or two. I had been medicated to hell and back in the past until I said f*ck it - if others can't deal with it it is their problem...)(actually saw a news program about a famous surgeon who also suffered, he said the same thing, he could supress them for hours on end during surgery, then it was hell for several hours after - had some interesting footage of him at home after a day at work around the dinner table, jumping up again and again to touch the lamp over the dinner table repeatedly - "just so" 'till he got it right [a tourettes thing - you'd understand if you had it] and tapping plates and cutlery like a mad man, all with his family calmly dining with him)

At any rate, I digress, I'm going to have to look this up see if it can give me some relief for some of the "bad days" when it gets out of control.

thanks!

I have a morbid obsession with drug history and culture plus an awsome article somewhere documenting something interesting to me by my own bizarre criteria of whats facinating. In the early part of the 20th century cannabis and its derivatives were systematically demonized and criminalized. I could be wrong. The District of Columbia (Washington, DC) was the first place to introduce legal sanctions against people (1906) who would use this life form to become intoxicated. Yes, there was hemp being cultivated as fiber, but presumably that wasn't being targeted. After criminalization in various states and municipalities the MJ Tax Act in 1937 was passed. Though I am not a historian or expert in US constitutional law by any stretch of the imagination, it is my understanding a tax was enacted to prohibit people from using the drug. Why not just make it a crime like it is in most parts of this country and on the Federal level today. Because, once upon a time, restrictions on personal behavior and personal freedom was Anathema to the contitution, at least in spirit. Remember life, liberty and the persuit of happiness ("inalienable rights"). This is probably a big reason why a constitutional Amendment, not just a law, was necessary to be passed to criminalize alcohol in the 20's and early 30s. I think that it is no accident that the government apparatus tasked with enforcing laws pertaining to alcohol and other mind altering drugs initially was the treasury department. Now with states, that was a seperate issue, decissions like whether or not a substance should be legal is something that, it was the intention of the founding fathers, to at the very least leave up to the states (or Territorial legislatures) as the case may be. Using taxes to enforce the feds will was a way to get around the pesky Bill of Rights and other quaint documents like "The Decleration of Independence." States rights were an important principle in the development of the USA as a modern republic. And in the case of perceived threats to the soverignty of individual states- lets just say Civil Wars have been known to start that way.

This is a positive development- what is happening in Portland. When I lived in San Jose in the late 80s/early 90s- I've had cops give buds back to me, not take them and smoke them or confiscate them and let me but give em back and send me on my merry way. The symbolic value of decriminalization vs lax enforcement or lowest priority tolerance- is huge to the cause of counter prohibitionism. But Getting back to my history question. Where was the first place under US Jurisdiction to criminalize cannabis and its use and then completely reverse their decision. The first place to allow the growing in and smoking of cannabis on US soil after a period of illegality? The backgrownd behind it is a cool story.

Last edited:
Any ganja historians out there-Quiz

Its cool what there doing. But its funny, their membership policy almost reminds me of the set up with alcohol and clubs in the state of Utah or some of those dry counties in the southern US.

But anyway, here is my quiz from drug culture. See if anyone could get the answer. This tends to be a more intellectual, scholarly crowd:

In light of the changing attitudes towards cannabis worldwide particularly in the United States with respect to the medical marijuana movement of the last few years I have organized a trivial pursuit style quiz that some might find interesting from a historical perspective. Once upon a time, cannabis was a plant that grew wild. As civilizations developed, some took advantage of various attributes of the plant, whether its ability to make textiles, psychoactive properties. used in spiritual ceremonies, ect...Some societies as the years passed decided to forbid its use. The 20th century saw a huge increase in the inactment of laws by various countries and international agreements to limit and or control the production, sale, and use of cannabis and its derivatives. The answer to this question I found interesting as a historical/ geopolitics of drugs enthusiasts. This question has many parts. The question deals with change in legal status of cannabis after it had been illegal in a place for a period of time. Lets see how you budding Homer's of hemp do.

1.) Where was the first place under USA jurisdiction[/COLOR] to relegalize/ decriminalize cannabis (with the full understanding to be used for the deliberate purpose of smoking and become intoxicated.) This is as opposed to "hemp for victory" type policies.

2.) In what year did this occur

3.) What components of the political machinery led to the change in legal status.

4.) What form did decriminalization take.

5.) What were the background arguments- what promted these changes

6.) Did this have any positive effect on the attitude towards cannabis prohibition of any neighborhing areas.

7.)Did this predate decrim policies in Europe, if so by how long.

8.) To what extent was the decision to relax the laws based on scientific testimony, on political principles, on other factors.

9.) Just for shits and giggles, name one strain this region is known for.

10.) Another bonus question- what place has probably the most draconian drug policies in the USA. Hint: it was the tragic victim of a recent disaster that caused FEMA to mobilizer what good that did.

Hope this doesn't annoy people, and its almost like a survey. The anwer I believe might be incorrect. I can think of places before the answer I have in mind that had scenes and decrim (or crim) might have been implemented sooner. I Think DC was the first place in the continental US that MJ was criminalized. I'll add questions as i think of them. I have the article but it is too old for DiTM. Awsome article! and a good example of sensible approaches to drug policies, where political propaganda doesn't overrule the truth. I'll give it a few days. Believe me, this is an interesting story- I'll then post the paper (atleast I think so).

Give it a chance and you'll see what it has to do with drug culture in general andhow it pertains to the formulation of good drug policy. I main be wrong about the answers, but this is to the best of my knowledge. With question #10, I was talking about draconian policies of drugs other than cannabis, they were actually laid back about cannabis until recently, it is my understanding. A hint, this is a place were cannabis prohibition was repealed and during a time when there were no federal laws on the books to fuck things up.

Last edited: