• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin withdrawal and phenibut questions

Pinkbarbie23

Greenlighter
I’m new here and could use y’all’s help. I am trying to get off of gabapentin. I’ve read all the reviews about the dangers of stopping abruptly and to taper but for medical reasons it has caused my body I don’t have a choice to do a long taper as my kidneys are shot from this drug. I’m weaning off of suboxone at the mommas well, but I’m doing that one slowly. I have some phenibut from awhile back. They are 500 mg capsules. Honestly I have them leftover bc it didn’t really do anything to me when I bought them. The place I bought them from online no longer sells phenibut but just sells Kratum only now. Also I see people say phenibut and Hcl phenibut or f-phenibut. I’m all confused. What kind should I get? What dose should I take? How long does it take to feel the effect? How often do you dose? I’m currently taking around 1800 mg of gabapentin a day.

Toke pregabaline wich is two times stronger two-three months and stop it without any withdrawl signs.But the dose never exceed 200mg

Yes exactly pregabaline is two times stronger.All GABA drugs are addictive.May be to a lesser degree to benzos and Z-drugs.Headaches are common with when tappering benzos too.Also stiffness,insomnia and weird electric sensation from groin through the spine and right into the head.Madness!Tapper my friend,no other way

Wow sorry man.As I know all gaba drugs have neglible liver biotransformation and go unchanged with urine.Thats why they are hard on kidneys

Addicted to them
1800 mg of gabapentin a day
That isn't so bad. My opinion, anyway. Could be a lot higher. This is a relatively easy substance to taper in my experience. If I were to taper I would drop 300mg and wait a few days to see how it affects. If all goog or bearable, stay at the 1500mg for a couple weeks. Drop anther 300mg and repeat.
Phenibut does have several "kinds" but I believe the effects are basically the same. Time to "come up" would depend on the type of phenibut. I use the hcl and it works. I am at 1g every two to three days but my normal "work/social" dose is 1.5g. Some take more some less. Some are sensitive to it's effects and some are not.
The effects of phenibut will vary from any/everyones perspective but it makes me feel like there really doesnt exist a problem that is actually a problem. In other words; there is no problems.
The time it takes for phenibut hcl to "hit" will vary from person to person as well. First coupla years it used to click like clockwork for me at exactly five hours after dosing. It has change to 9-10hrs now for the last 9 or so months. Some say 30 minutes to a few hours. Some say never. lol For real, though.
Welcome to BL.
Hope to see this thread ending in you reaching the goal of getting off.
I would not recommend phenibut as a replacement for gabapentin as one would have to dose a lot (IMO) and this would cause even more liver damage. Just not worth it. Phenibut every third day at low dose may be safish but if the liver is already "hurt" please just follow through on your own thoughts and words of tapering off of the gabapentin and walking away from them and other potentially live/kidney damaging substances.
I would also (if an option and a gabapentinoid is necessary) suggest pregabalin as it is adsorbed almost completely as opposed to gabap only ~30% average absorption. Much more effective/efficient with very little need for maintenance (I am down to 100mg a day but Rxed more)... I still feel it. Used to be Rxed 1800mg gabapentin day after I stopped opiates. Too fuckin much load on the body with minimal return, ya know?
Do a slow taper your liver will thank you for it my body/mind did.
Best,
J

Thank you. I tried the phenibut I had in capsules and took 3 500 mg. 4 hours later I felt nothing so I assumed it wouldn’t work. I dosed another 500mg at 7 hour point and 3 hours later I felt drunk. Now, I did take 900 mg of gabapentin as well at the 8 hour interval as I was scared the phenibut wasn’t working and I would have gabapentin withdrawals so that added to it. I think I will order some of the hcl. I just don’t really know how to properly dose to keep off gabapentin withdrawals seeing the time takes forever.

I've always found the GABA-B receptor agonist effects of phenibut to outweigh any noticeable gabapentinoid effects.

I'm not sure how effective phenibut (beta-phenyl-GABA) is as a gabapentinoid compared to gabapentin (beta-cyclopentyl-GABA) itself or pregabalin, but I suspect it may be less effective than gabapentin. Probably not more potent anyway.

Phenibut, baclofen (para-choro-phenibut), and 4f-phenibut are all more noticeably psychoactive than gabapentin due to their being GABA-B receptor agonists in addition to blocking the same voltage gated calcium ion channels as gabapentin (this is the primary mechanism of action for gabapentin and pregabalin).

Are you sure that is safe to take phenibut in your condition? Have you discussed it with your doctor?

You might be better off taking pregabalin since it's the most potent gabapentinoid I know of on the market? Just a few hundred mg of pregabalin a day is equivalent to your 1800mg of gabapentin. Maybe your doctor would prescribe you pregabalin.

You will be taking a couple of grams of the phenibut a day (which may be unsafe in your condition), plus phenibut isn't purely a gabapentinoid (as are gabapentin and pregabalin). You'll have that somewhat 'dirty', slightly drunken feeling of phenibut all the time.

Additionally, due to the action at the GABA-B receptor all of the phenibut derivatives have a withdrawal syndrome more like alcohol withdrawal than gabapentin withdrawal.

I found it MUCH easier to quit 4800mg/day gabapentin than it was to get off of 100g/day of kratom or 20mg/day Valium. I know some people report bad side effects from gabapentin withdrawals but I found it fairly easy compared to benzos and opiates.

Thank you for that but of information. I just assumed if I took lyrica it would make the withdrawals worse in getting off the gaba stuff entirely since lyrica is a stronger gabapentin. I took Keaton for awhile, but I don’t think I was doing it right because I mixed it with water to get down the hatch and I would sometimes vomit it back up. I never knew which Kratom to use or how much, but it was gross.

Yeah most people put a spoonful of kratom in their mouths and then wash it down with a beverage. It's called toss and wash.

I think that's easier than trying to drink it premixed in water.

I've always found the GABA-B receptor agonist effects of phenibut to outweigh any noticeable gabapentinoid effects.

I'm not sure how effective phenibut (beta-phenyl-GABA) is as a gabapentinoid compared to gabapentin (beta-cyclopentyl-GABA) itself or pregabalin, but I suspect it may be less effective than gabapentin. Probably not more potent anyway.

Phenibut, baclofen (para-choro-phenibut), and 4f-phenibut are all more noticeably psychoactive than gabapentin due to their being GABA-B receptor agonists in addition to blocking the same voltage gated calcium ion channels as gabapentin (this is the primary mechanism of action for gabapentin and pregabalin).

Are you sure that is safe to take phenibut in your condition? Have you discussed it with your doctor?

You might be better off taking pregabalin since it's the most potent gabapentinoid I know of on the market? Just a few hundred mg of pregabalin a day is equivalent to your 1800mg of gabapentin. Maybe your doctor would prescribe you pregabalin.

You will be taking a couple of grams of the phenibut a day (which may be unsafe in your condition), plus phenibut isn't purely a gabapentinoid (as are gabapentin and pregabalin). You'll have that somewhat 'dirty', slightly drunken feeling of phenibut all the time.

Additionally, due to the action at the GABA-B receptor all of the phenibut derivatives have a withdrawal syndrome more like alcohol withdrawal than gabapentin withdrawal.

I found it MUCH easier to quit 4800mg/day gabapentin than it was to get off of 100g/day of kratom or 20mg/day Valium. I know some people report bad side effects from gabapentin withdrawals but I found it fairly easy compared to benzos and opiates.
So the dirty drunk feeling is what Phenibut is supposed to feel like? I think maybe I took to much because I passed out drinking coffee and woke up to that of course.