• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Horror games today, aren't as good as they were prior to RE4...

Plane N SIM Pill

Bluelighter
I blame the arrival of RE4, etc, as to why horror games mostly suck now. The old games could be dark, but still have good lighting. Have you noticed just how 'forced upon' horror feels these days in gaming?

The lighting is barely even there. Just look at the RE2 remake. The hallways are all dark, and most of the game is the same way. They're even trying to do this in the RE4 remake, because the first villager you face now has to be killed in a basement. And boo. It just reaks of Hollywood horror. But quite frankly, RE4 was never very scary to begin with.

So Konami is bringing back Silent Hill with a remake of 2, some indie games, and an alleged new mainline entry, set in Japan. Which has me curious, really. Silent Hill is a town that's supposed to be in the New England region of the United States, so why set it in Japan? I know that there have been deviations to the formula before, but this feels big.

In my opinion, The Evil Within 2 is a game that has a great combo of RE and SH's atmosphere. Like the gameplay itself is like The Last of Us, but it's like you're in Silent Hill, with there being similar creatures. Yet nobody cares much for that game. So I'll never understand why gamers who like the genre, support games like RE8 which is kind of zany, and yet games that are creepy and generally play better, are ignored. Like, seriously. Then you have these other games where you're forced to run away, because you aren't even allowed to pick up anything to defend yourself with. And that's just unrealistic. If a monster came at you, and there was a chair or a lamp or anything close at hand, you'd use it, even if you know you're a goner. That's just how humans are. But making you into a wimp in these games, is annoying.

The bullet noises in RE8 just sound awful. They also hide the main character's face, even though you see all of the other personnel in the story scenes, and whatnot. Ethan Winters wasn't a bad character as such, but concealing his face as he's hugging his daughter Rosemary, just looked a hell of a dumb. But anyway, that's just my thoughts.

There are still some good horror games out there but mostly indie or ones that get overlooked which is a shame.

I see there a remake of Alone in The Dark coming next year (I think) will see how that turns out.