• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to maintain sobriety and be happy

Trpatten

Bluelighter
Going to attempt sobriety soon. I want to be successful. I need tools that are effective to fight cravings and just make myself done with WANTING to use meth. In the past the depression is crippling for me. The cravings are so bad. It’s all very overwhelming. I’m not sure what to do or how. I’m fearful of once again not succeeding. And continuing on this path that will kill me. My heart is bad and damaged. Even knowing that I still don’t stop. I’ve thought about having a purpose…a drive in life to put my focus somewhere else. I haven’t came up with anything yet unfortunately.

Check out health and recovery this is a pretty active use zone if I do say best wishes it's a long journey it's good to hear from you

I fear for my heart too get these sensations on binges that are unnerving in my second half of my thirties scary like thinking I won't survive another day I am also stumbling and fumbling you aren't alone in wanting a better way to live certainly tweaking will take its toll sooner or later

Going to attempt sobriety soon. I want to be successful. I need tools that are effective to fight cravings and just make myself done with WANTING to use meth. In the past the depression is crippling for me. The cravings are so bad. It’s all very overwhelming. I’m not sure what to do or how. I’m fearful of once again not succeeding. And continuing on this path that will kill me. My heart is bad and damaged. Even knowing that I still don’t stop. I’ve thought about having a purpose…a drive in life to put my focus somewhere else. I haven’t came up with anything yet unfortunately.
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. Like sohrah else said, you should definitely check out the Health & Recovery forum. They're a very supportive community.

Just keep trying and *never* give up. As John Lennon said, "Where there's life, there's hope."

I've been struggling with multiple addictions (alcohol, opioids, benzos) for over 25 years. Every day I just try to do my best. Sometimes I do well, sometimes not so much.

Hang in there, my friend.
Dreamflyer

You mention having a purpose... that is certainly a big motivator. In my mind there are a few really important things. First of all, you need to identify any sources of pain in your life that you may be looking to cover up with drugs, and work on improving those things. Second, and this is related to a "purpose", I suppose, you need to find things to fill the time you would be spending doing drugs, things that make you feel fulfilled/excited/happy. Find a hobby, or multiple hobbies. Something you can spend a lot of time at, and take your mind off things. Boredom is the sobriety killer. Third, getting into a daily workout routine helps a whole lot. You get the endorphins flowing, and you will also get to feeling a lot better physically.

Good luck, it's difficult to get sober, but you can do it. You might also consider whether you have a support system. Whether that friends and family, or some sort of group. And drug counseling and/or therapy can be a big help, too.

The main thing is that you can't expect to just stop and not change anything in your life... you have a much better chance of long-term success if you make some real substantive changes to your daily life and routine.

I saw the post title and immediately made an account to reply. I wish I knew the answer to that very question, and it is something that I find myself thinking about in more and more meaningful ways the older I get. I damn near typed a five paragraph essay on my story and the circumstances that led me to being here, but... this post is about you. It doesn't matter what I say or how I say it, but it is something that I know resonates with many in this life, and I hope one day - you will know it and feel the same. Or better yet - in an even more triumphant way than I know I do at times.

For years - I was 100 percent okay knowing that I was going to die early, and I would rather face that time in an alcoholic blackout of bliss and drug abuse than be sober. Almost a decade, I tried just about every sober recovery approach under the sun or that the law would push me towards and nothing really worked for me.
I would never say a negative word about any type of harm reduction, sobriety/treatment program, or ANY sane approach to seeing another person... simply try to live. Whether its a program or asking for tips in a forum, I see it all the same now.
We have this - unfathomable existence. Makes your stomach turn at even the thought of questioning what it means and seeking out a deeper meaning, or purpose. It can be beautiful at times and also wretched. Unfair and polarizing... with no real second chances.
And the real kicker... for all that we know, it is finite. Every second of every minute is one that we will never have again.
The third time I went through alcohol withdrawals - I thought I found that early end that I was 100 percent okay with. Alone and hallucinating a form of mental and physical hell that changed me in a way I'll never forget. That darkness made seeing the light at the end of the tunnel something real.
Life... it changes constantly. Live. Keep focusing on moving forward. Every step you take to get sober, or reduce what you're doing to harm yourself, is another shot... at everything.
Setbacks? Relapse? - Try to learn from it, but if you're thinking about those things that means you're alive and trying and that's what matters.
A purpose in life... and finding happiness in sobriety?
Yeah, that's likely the harder part of the equation, or you just might find its the easiest.
I know right now I'm replying to this post instead of working on the material I should be for a meeting I have to host at work in the morning.
I find a greater purpose in every word typed here than all that I will do at work.

PS - these replies above mine that are much more tenured already have the answers spelled out to a T haha. As much as you might here similar recommendations, or even how simple something may sound... You will find they likely end up being the most profound.

Xoroth "Second, and this is related to a "purpose", I suppose, you need to find things to fill the time you would be spending doing drugs, things that make you feel fulfilled/excited/happy. Find a hobby, or multiple hobbies."
huge advice... something new or old it doesn't matter and its even better if you can find something that you can do with another that supports you.

tonight... I made an account here and replied to you hah.

Dreamflyer "Just keep trying and *never* give up. As John Lennon said, "Where there's life, there's hope."

I've been struggling with multiple addictions (alcohol, opioids, benzos) for over 25 years. Every day I just try to do my best. Sometimes I do well, sometimes not so much."

^^That is pretty much the more eloquent way of summarizing my huge wall of text right there. This is probably the best way to state ...all that I too have surmised on my journey too.

Truly my friend... I wish you well, and I mean that, with every fiber of my being. I don't know you nor you I, but I like to think this is what it is actually all about. If not for you, then selfishly for me. You got this.
Much Love

I saw the post title and immediately made an account to reply. I wish I knew the answer to that very question, and it is something that I find myself thinking about in more and more meaningful ways the older I get. I damn near typed a five paragraph essay on my story and the circumstances that led me to being here, but... this post is about you. It doesn't matter what I say or how I say it, but it is something that I know resonates with many in this life, and I hope one day - you will know it and feel the same. Or better yet - in an even more triumphant way than I know I do at times.

For years - I was 100 percent okay knowing that I was going to die early, and I would rather face that time in an alcoholic blackout of bliss and drug abuse than be sober. Almost a decade, I tried just about every sober recovery approach under the sun or that the law would push me towards and nothing really worked for me.
I would never say a negative word about any type of harm reduction, sobriety/treatment program, or ANY sane approach to seeing another person... simply try to live. Whether its a program or asking for tips in a forum, I see it all the same now.
We have this - unfathomable existence. Makes your stomach turn at even the thought of questioning what it means and seeking out a deeper meaning, or purpose. It can be beautiful at times and also wretched. Unfair and polarizing... with no real second chances.
And the real kicker... for all that we know, it is finite. Every second of every minute is one that we will never have again.
The third time I went through alcohol withdrawals - I thought I found that early end that I was 100 percent okay with. Alone and hallucinating a form of mental and physical hell that changed me in a way I'll never forget. That darkness made seeing the light at the end of the tunnel something real.
Life... it changes constantly. Live. Keep focusing on moving forward. Every step you take to get sober, or reduce what you're doing to harm yourself, is another shot... at everything.
Setbacks? Relapse? - Try to learn from it, but if you're thinking about those things that means you're alive and trying and that's what matters.
Yeah, that's likely the harder part of the equation, or you just might find its the easiest.
I know right now I'm replying to this post instead of working on the material I should be for a meeting I have to host at work in the morning.
I find a greater purpose in every word typed here than all that I will do at work.

PS - these replies above mine that are much more tenured already have the answers spelled out to a T haha. As much as you might here similar recommendations, or even how simple something may sound... You will find they likely end up being the most profound.

Xoroth "Second, and this is related to a "purpose", I suppose, you need to find things to fill the time you would be spending doing drugs, things that make you feel fulfilled/excited/happy. Find a hobby, or multiple hobbies."
huge advice... something new or old it doesn't matter and its even better if you can find something that you can do with another that supports you.

Dreamflyer "Just keep trying and *never* give up. As John Lennon said, "Where there's life, there's hope."

I've been struggling with multiple addictions (alcohol, opioids, benzos) for over 25 years. Every day I just try to do my best. Sometimes I do well, sometimes not so much."

^^That is pretty much the more eloquent way of summarizing my huge wall of text right there. This is probably the best way to state ...all that I too have surmised on my journey too.

Truly my friend... I wish you well, and I mean that, with every fiber of my being. I don't know you nor you I, but I like to think this is what it is actually all about. If not for you, then selfishly for me. You got this.
Much Love
Fantastic post you did a good thing joining here. Most of us have our ups and downs and our years long histories ourselves.

Good posts up there.
Get a new o̶b̶s̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ hobby. IMO, all of the great overachievers in history were "addictive personalities" well directed.

And ^^^^ love is always the answer. If you can't find it, give it, also very rewarding.

images

Hey @Trpatten :)

We have a whole sub-forum dedicated to recovery, sobriety, clean-living or whatever other synonym you wish to use. It's about people whose relationship with drugs has turned from a help to a hindrance. My thing was Opiates, but Alcohol played a big role also. I've used every drug under the sun, but Opiates were my DOC. The effects of Methamphetamine or stimulants in general and Opioids is pretty extreme. However, for the addict who becomes addicted to this indescribable feeling, emotion or energy associated with using such powerful drugs, I feel the addiction is pretty similar. We're all just looking to get numb in the end and both Opiates and Amphetamines numb people, albeit in different ways.

I was a decade long user of Heroin and Morphine. I never thought I would stop. I didn't want to stop. The idea of a life without Opiates was both terrifying and completely not worth living even for a moment. I did everything. I've been to detox, rehab, sober houses, psychiatric wards (having licensed psychiatrists diagnose me as basically insane) and I've done all of this on different continents, so I have a little bit of experience.

The only thing that I feel truly makes sense is a daily program. The one that I do is 12-steps, but there are plenty of others out there with differing philosophies. There is a Buddhist recovery group here in Burlington that meets every Saturday. They bang a gong before the meeting, meditate and they all hug at the end. It's pretty cool actually. I digress. The biggest importance, I feel, is constant self-evaluation and a revealing of your inner ideas and machinations to others. I show up for an hour, five days a week and take a brief, basic look at my thoughts, actions and their results. I get to hear what other people are doing. We all share in our experiences and support each other.

I'm sure there is a lot of spiritual stuff behind the success of these groups that I don't full understand, but at the end of the day, I feel being honest, kind and evaluating yourself are the best foundation to a sober life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, there are gonna be some phases to this process and it's not necessarily going to be a straight and steady line upward.

You've been using Methamphetamine, which I'm sure you know, is really powerful shit. It does a number on the mind and body that is often difficult to recover from. The biggest pitfalls in your early sobriety are likely to be impatience for improvement of your condition, leading to a "fuck it" move and a relapse, leading you back to square one. The first few days, or so I've heard, are often not so difficult, as they consist of a lot of sleeping. Once you get out this hibernation mode, you're likely going to run into some pretty serious depression and to a lesser extent, anxiety. You should start to see some improvement in these symptoms after about a week.

Methamphetamine is well-known for the Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome that tends to linger. It will likely be months before you are back to "normal". It is not an easy road, but it can be done. My advice would be to hunker down for the first week however you can. After 7-10 days, or whenvever you feel your psychological symptoms lifting and an increase in your physical energy, that is when you should start getting involved with your program. Essentially, as soon as you are able and not crazy, you should establish a solid program.

People complain a lot early on about the length of time required to get better and yes, it's a legitimate complaint, as it's a really shitty situation. My point is that the program that you use to get better needs to be as severe as the drug that got you into this place. Whatever you do, it requires a commitment.

=================================================================================================

Moving this over to our recovery forums.

I would advise you to try some 5-htp for the withdrawal, I wish I would have found this substance earlyer back then when I stopped smoking meth.
It has to be the pulver in capsules.

And I would also advise you to start a hobby, weight lifting is the best, I guess.

What I am wondering: How can be someone happy if he or she is on drugs ?
Yes your mood is uplifted when ur high, but the down phase is so devastating psychologically, that for me at least, it was to exhausting to handle.
And I lost so much muscle mass back then, did not went go gym anymore and so on.

Sport, music, friends and family is helping a lot .

I do not know how we maintain sobriety but I am early on this road, so I look to those who have many years of sober living under their belts and there seem to be almost universal advice on what keeps us clean - a programme (often spiritual), service, connection, honesty. I am back to 0 days and go into a rehab programme on Monday but I hold every hope I and millions of others with get sober and we must utilize those who have been before and done the work and seen the results, they are our guides and ultimately what will help us get there. Keep on track and keep it in the day, work the steps. Thats my thought for what its worth.

All the power to you all, I wish you all the best and I mean that.

Check out health and recovery this is a pretty active use zone if I do say best wishes it's a long journey it's good to hear from you

I fear for my heart too get these sensations on binges that are unnerving in my second half of my thirties scary like thinking I won't survive another day I am also stumbling and fumbling you aren't alone in wanting a better way to live certainly tweaking will take its toll sooner or later
Thanks for replying. I didn’t realize what’re I posted. I note that in the future. Yea at 39 my heart stuff happened so definitely listen to your body. My main ongoing symptom was intense heartburn for days. It did not let up.

I would advise you to try some 5-htp for the withdrawal, I wish I would have found this substance earlyer back then when I stopped smoking meth.
It has to be the pulver in capsules.

And I would also advise you to start a hobby, weight lifting is the best, I guess.

What I am wondering: How can be someone happy if he or she is on drugs ?
Yes your mood is uplifted when ur high, but the down phase is so devastating psychologically, that for me at least, it was to exhausting to handle.
And I lost so much muscle mass back then, did not went go gym anymore and so on.

Sport, music, friends and family is helping a lot .
Thank u for the vitamin info. I will for sure get that. I definitely need to find a hobby. I can’t weight lift unfortunately. I have a disease called fibromuscular dysplasia. My veins and arteries are extremely fragile and brittle. Causing dissections. I have it all over unfortunately. So no chiropractor. No roller coasters. No massages. No neck play durning sex. No heavy lifting Or extending. Sucks but it’s hereditary from my mom. Anyways I got off topic. You’re so right about the down phase and I’m absolutely dreading it. I would definitely not say I’m happy while using. More numb and at ease I guess. I cried every single day for almost 2 years. It’s was the worst I’ve ever felt. I don’t cry anymore. I’ve had several people say they’re glad to have me back but they have no idea why im “back to normal “.

Hey @Trpatten :)

We have a whole sub-forum dedicated to recovery, sobriety, clean-living or whatever other synonym you wish to use. It's about people whose relationship with drugs has turned from a help to a hindrance. My thing was Opiates, but Alcohol played a big role also. I've used every drug under the sun, but Opiates were my DOC. The effects of Methamphetamine or stimulants in general and Opioids is pretty extreme. However, for the addict who becomes addicted to this indescribable feeling, emotion or energy associated with using such powerful drugs, I feel the addiction is pretty similar. We're all just looking to get numb in the end and both Opiates and Amphetamines numb people, albeit in different ways.

I was a decade long user of Heroin and Morphine. I never thought I would stop. I didn't want to stop. The idea of a life without Opiates was both terrifying and completely not worth living even for a moment. I did everything. I've been to detox, rehab, sober houses, psychiatric wards (having licensed psychiatrists diagnose me as basically insane) and I've done all of this on different continents, so I have a little bit of experience.

The only thing that I feel truly makes sense is a daily program. The one that I do is 12-steps, but there are plenty of others out there with differing philosophies. There is a Buddhist recovery group here in Burlington that meets every Saturday. They bang a gong before the meeting, meditate and they all hug at the end. It's pretty cool actually. I digress. The biggest importance, I feel, is constant self-evaluation and a revealing of your inner ideas and machinations to others. I show up for an hour, five days a week and take a brief, basic look at my thoughts, actions and their results. I get to hear what other people are doing. We all share in our experiences and support each other.

I'm sure there is a lot of spiritual stuff behind the success of these groups that I don't full understand, but at the end of the day, I feel being honest, kind and evaluating yourself are the best foundation to a sober life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, there are gonna be some phases to this process and it's not necessarily going to be a straight and steady line upward.

You've been using Methamphetamine, which I'm sure you know, is really powerful shit. It does a number on the mind and body that is often difficult to recover from. The biggest pitfalls in your early sobriety are likely to be impatience for improvement of your condition, leading to a "fuck it" move and a relapse, leading you back to square one. The first few days, or so I've heard, are often not so difficult, as they consist of a lot of sleeping. Once you get out this hibernation mode, you're likely going to run into some pretty serious depression and to a lesser extent, anxiety. You should start to see some improvement in these symptoms after about a week.

Methamphetamine is well-known for the Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome that tends to linger. It will likely be months before you are back to "normal". It is not an easy road, but it can be done. My advice would be to hunker down for the first week however you can. After 7-10 days, or whenvever you feel your psychological symptoms lifting and an increase in your physical energy, that is when you should start getting involved with your program. Essentially, as soon as you are able and not crazy, you should establish a solid program.

People complain a lot early on about the length of time required to get better and yes, it's a legitimate complaint, as it's a really shitty situation. My point is that the program that you use to get better needs to be as severe as the drug that got you into this place. Whatever you do, it requires a commitment.

=================================================================================================

Moving this over to our recovery forums.
Thanks for responding. You make a lot of sense. I agree meth is up there w heroin and opioids and thankfully I’ve never went that road. I feel it would be worse than meth only because I’ve read so many stories about the withdrawal and how fast it can come on and making it that much harder to want to get sober. I had one month when I had my heart attack. Got out of icu/coma …used the next dam day. I was so disappointed in myself. It seems emotions trigger me the most. Well basically my entire fkn life is a trigger. I’m hoping to relocate. I don’t think I can live in the same place and be successful.

Much Love
Thank u for your reply ❤️

Thank
You mention having a purpose... that is certainly a big motivator. In my mind there are a few really important things. First of all, you need to identify any sources of pain in your life that you may be looking to cover up with drugs, and work on improving those things. Second, and this is related to a "purpose", I suppose, you need to find things to fill the time you would be spending doing drugs, things that make you feel fulfilled/excited/happy. Find a hobby, or multiple hobbies. Something you can spend a lot of time at, and take your mind off things. Boredom is the sobriety killer. Third, getting into a daily workout routine helps a whole lot. You get the endorphins flowing, and you will also get to feeling a lot better physically.

Good luck, it's difficult to get sober, but you can do it. You might also consider whether you have a support system. Whether that friends and family, or some sort of group. And drug counseling and/or therapy can be a big help, too.

The main thing is that you can't expect to just stop and not change anything in your life... you have a much better chance of long-term success if you make some real substantive changes to your daily life and routi
love is the best thing
Not even love was strong enough for me 😔. I’ve ruined my life. I just want to get better and not be shackled

Get totally drug (including alcohol) free, at least for a time whilst you are trying to get healthy
Get physically fit through regular exercise
Eat a healthy diet
Start building healthy social connections with other humans
Find and engage in some hobbies/interests
Routine and structure (including regular sleep patterns)
Daily self-care activities (anything from cleaning your teeth to getting a haircut to engaging in therapy)
Start to unpick the reasons you fell in to addiction
Start to work on any trauma you may have
Learn to be kind to yourself and love yourself
Learn to be kind to others and love others
Remember that sobriety will take ongoing work
Give yourself a pat on the back any time you do anything to support your sobriety
When things are hard just get to the end of the day clean and be proud if that's the only thing you did
Be grateful for the good things you have in your life
Keep your living environment clean and tidy
Spend some time helping others
Learn to be honest with oneself
Learn to admit one doesn't always know best and ask for/accept help from others
Be willing to go to any lengths to protect your sobriety

Some of these can be worked on it the short run, some are more long term goals. Most will take daily work. Start as small as you need to and slowly work your way in to more and more. If all you can do tomorrow is clean your teeth and make your bed and you weren't doing those things before then do those things and be proud you are making progress. That list is just a few principles for healthy living.

These are all things I'm working on myself. It's a pretty intimidating change to make if like me you were doing none of those things, so start small. Remember that things will take time, remember that life is hard and discomfort is a part of it, and if you are working on your recovery from addiction daily then things should start to get better eventually.

Thanks for responding. You make a lot of sense. I agree meth is up there w heroin and opioids and thankfully I’ve never went that road. I feel it would be worse than meth only because I’ve read so many stories about the withdrawal and how fast it can come on and making it that much harder to want to get sober. I had one month when I had my heart attack. Got out of icu/coma …used the next dam day. I was so disappointed in myself. It seems emotions trigger me the most. Well basically my entire fkn life is a trigger. I’m hoping to relocate. I don’t think I can live in the same place and be successful.

No problem. At least initially, a geographic change can be a very helpful and often necessary move. The world of the drug addict and the world of the Alcoholic are a little bit different. Addiction to drugs typically comes with the added burden of being a "known addict/member of the addict community" in your area. As we all know, we are super connected to each other in this day and age. I remember when I got sober, I would get texts and Facebook messages, stopped on the sidewalk by acquaintances solely as points of trade in the drug-using community.

"Hey I have Gabapentin, want any?"

"Hey man I got my settlement and I've got 10 grams of Crack but nowhere to smoke it, can I chill at your place?"

"Hey Ry, I have a little bit of Meth and I'll totally blow you, like, zero strings attached, we don't even need to converse when you get here" (Followed by weeks of wishing you had never told this chick your real last name)

"Hey did you pick up your prescription yet?"

My point is that they will continually try to keep you in the community. Drugs are a form of commerce that operates much like how commerce operated in the middle ages, with one guy having something, giving it to another for something else, bringing that somewhere else and maybe a few days later, trading them again. People will continue to keep you available as you are a vector for things they want and every human head available in their contacts leads to better statistical results in their quest to acquire their desired loot.

I know plenty of people who were doing good, happy, working their program, only to bump into a guy downtown who "has Meth, right now" that leads them back into anonymity and addiction on the streets. There are a lot of advantages in securing your own success in going somewhere else where you have no connections and nobody will bother you. You will still of course have the ability to get drugs if that is what you choose, but in sobriety, it is always a good idea to set yourself up for success. For you, this might mean going somewhere else, if only for a few months.

The people on the street will forget about you completely after six months, when they realize you're no longer of strategic value.

Maintaining sobriety and finding happiness in your life is a personal and ongoing journey. Here are some suggestions that may help:

1. Seek Support: Build a strong support system by connecting with others who understand your journey. Attend support group meetings, such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or similar groups, where you can share experiences, receive guidance, and gain encouragement from people who have walked a similar path.

2. Engage in Therapy or Counseling: Consider participating in individual therapy or counseling to address any underlying issues that may have contributed to your addiction. Therapy can help you develop healthy coping mechanisms, improve self-awareness, and work through any emotional challenges that arise during your recovery.

3. Practice Self-Care: Prioritize self-care activities that promote physical, mental, and emotional well-being. This can include regular exercise, proper nutrition, sufficient sleep, relaxation techniques (such as meditation or deep breathing exercises), and engaging in hobbies or activities you enjoy.

4. Set Realistic Goals: Set achievable goals for yourself, both short-term and long-term. Breaking down your goals into smaller, manageable steps can help you maintain motivation and celebrate milestones along the way.

5. Create Structure and Routine: Establishing a structured daily routine can provide stability and purpose. Include activities that support your sobriety, such as attending support group meetings, engaging in therapy sessions, pursuing hobbies, and practicing self-care.

6. Avoid Triggers and Temptations: Identify and avoid triggers that may tempt you to relapse. This could include certain environments, social situations, or people associated with substance use. Surround yourself with supportive individuals who respect your sobriety and make choices that align with your recovery goals.

7. Develop Healthy Coping Mechanisms: Learn and practice healthy coping strategies to manage stress, cravings, and challenging emotions. This could include engaging in physical activity, journaling, practicing mindfulness, seeking support from your support system, or engaging in creative outlets.

8. Celebrate Milestones: Acknowledge and celebrate your achievements and milestones in your recovery journey. This can provide a sense of accomplishment, boost your motivation, and reinforce your commitment to sobriety.