• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help hydrocodone withdrawal; sudden cessation of meds possible i am very scared; 63 years old help?

WriterDirector58

Bluelighter
i am 63 year old on 30 mg of hydrocodone per day 7.5 mg 4 times a day; have legal prescription; i am masters level psychologist and recently have noticed things in my pain doctors practice that lead me to believe the situation may be unstable; i run out of meds wed ; if suddenly i am without medication; at this age 63 asthmatic ; i could have cardiac incident; acute psychological episode; if all of a sudden my drugs stop; and i go into withdrawal what do i do ? go to emergency room? etc: ask for clonadine buopernorphine? im sure im spelling it wrong; help ; i am terrified ; here in little neck queens

Thanks for posting and welcome.

You are experiencing standard opioid dependence. I know how insane it can me.

Does your doctor know what's going on? Did your doctor cut you off? What's going on in which you went from 30mg/day to 0? Did you use too much and run out?

This is generally not something you should go to the ER if you simply ran out of vicodin. In the vast majority of scenarios opioid withdrawal is not lethal or dangerous in most cases. However these things can be complicated by other underlying health issues.

Thanks for posting, I know you are scared.

Are you completely out of meds with no option to get a script?

I am no doctor but withdrawaling from 30g/day of hydrocodone is not going to trigger any sort of major cardiac or asthmatic event (I'm no doctor!! It's unlikely to have that sort of reaction)

Worst case scenario - you keep going cold turkey and you're going to feel awful for another 3-4 days, but it's not going to kill you. You're going to feel crappy for several days after this, but it gets better every day.

Last edited:
You don't need to worry about a cardiac incident, etc. How long have you been taking it?

What is the indication for which its prescribed? Though i suppose its irrelevant.

If it is difficult to find a replacement prescriber, buprenorphine is readily obtainable, now from online prescriber (the practice of which i personally condone as it should be accessible). Alternatively you could look into kratom. In your situation I'd say something like 3.5 grams every 6 hours should result in little withdrawal symptoms. Get a red strain, like red strain bali. It comes in capsules. Of course it is addictive so you are merely transferring a habit.

i am 63 year old on 30 mg of hydrocodone per day 7.5 mg 4 times a day; have legal prescription; i am masters level psychologist and recently have noticed things in my pain doctors practice that lead me to believe the situation may be unstable; i run out of meds wed ; if suddenly i am without medication; at this age 63 asthmatic ; i could have cardiac incident; acute psychological episode; if all of a sudden my drugs stop; and i go into withdrawal what do i do ? go to emergency room? etc: ask for clonadine buopernorphine? im sure im spelling it wrong; help ; i am terrified ; here in little neck queens
Hi and welcome to Bluelight <3 I wish it were under better circumstances.
I too have been through opiate withdrawal and it is not fun. It is pretty uncomfortable but it is NOT life-threatening. I know you're scared, but please be assured that you can and will get through this just fine.
Please remember that your anxiety and panic about your situation are likely to be much more harmful to your heart condition, than the actual opiate withdrawals. So please try to remain calm <3
The other 2 guys have given good advice.
Let us know how you're doing okay? You will be okay.

Take a deep breath. You are assuming that come wednesday ( it is sat. today ) that your GP will somehow come under some kind of investigation and you MAY not get your refill. This is because you have a masters in psychology and you are picking up some vibes ? You are talking yourself into something because you are afraid you are going to lose your script.

Even if the clinic comes under investigation ( or is currently embroiled in one ) everyone gets ONE 30 day script to hold them over so they have time to get a new Dr. There have been 3 Dr.s here in the last 10 years that were shut down for over prescribing. Each patient got 30 days worth to hold them over ( another Dr. steps in and writes for a 30 day period ) then goes back to his own practice. Might be different where you are but most places realize that even addicts need 30 days to either get on Suboxone or just quit altogether.

Your intake of Vicodin is very low. Very low. I took 40 to 50 mgs at a pop twice a day and I was still able to get off rather easily ( when the streets dried up ) with kratom. Vicodin's short half life was the key. If you have true verifiable pain, I am pretty sure any Dr. would prescribe the very small amount you are on. I am also 63 and I would be a candidate for a script but my sorry ass abused the hell out of opioid pain meds and all the Dr.s in Michigan got my number a long time ago. I would have to move to another state to ever get opioids again. You don't know for sure anything is going on with your clinic. Come right out and ask them. You are just assuming all of this and maybe getting yourself all worked up for no reason. Take a deep breath and call them on Monday and say you are due for a refill on wednesday. See what they say and go from there. Good luck.

Does your doctor know what's going on? Did your doctor cut you off? What's going on in which you went from 30mg/day to 0? Did you use too much and run out?

This is generally not something you should go to the ER if you simply ran out of vicodin. In the vast majority of scenarios opioid withdrawal is not lethal or dangerous in most cases. However these things can be complicated by other underlying health issues.

I am no doctor but withdrawaling from 30g/day of hydrocodone is not going to trigger any sort of major cardiac or asthmatic event (I'm no doctor!! It's unlikely to have that sort of reaction)

Worst case scenario - you keep going cold turkey and you're going to feel awful for another 3-4 days, but it's not going to kill you. You're going to feel crappy for several days after this, but it gets better every day.

no the doctor didnt cut me off; they seem to be experiencing some problems in the practice; i dont know if someone took something; if theres an irs matter; if someone in the office was selling drugs or something; i just know that i am being told things that cant be true; and i am worried the whole thing might implode; it doesnt feel safe and i dont know whats possible; no i didnt use too much; i took my prescription; i am worried that because of office practice difficultites i may get caught with no meds and im 63 with asthma; i have my pills;' i havent been cut off; but as someone who has lived this long; im getting vibes the practice may not be stable and i could get caught in the circumstances;

Take a deep breath. You are assuming that come wednesday ( it is sat. today ) that your GP will somehow come under some kind of investigation and you MAY not get your refill. This is because you have a masters in psychology and you are picking up some vibes ? You are talking yourself into something because you are afraid you are going to lose your script.

Even if the clinic comes under investigation ( or is currently embroiled in one ) everyone gets ONE 30 day script to hold them over so they have time to get a new Dr. There have been 3 Dr.s here in the last 10 years that were shut down for over prescribing. Each patient got 30 days worth to hold them over ( another Dr. steps in and writes for a 30 day period ) then goes back to his own practice. Might be different where you are but most places realize that even addicts need 30 days to either get on Suboxone or just quit altogether.

Your intake of Vicodin is very low. Very low. I took 40 to 50 mgs at a pop twice a day and I was still able to get off rather easily ( when the streets dried up ) with kratom. Vicodin's short half life was the key. If you have true verifiable pain, I am pretty sure any Dr. would prescribe the very small amount you are on. I am also 63 and I would be a candidate for a script but my sorry ass abused the hell out of opioid pain meds and all the Dr.s in Michigan got my number a long time ago. I would have to move to another state to ever get opioids again. You don't know for sure anything is going on with your clinic. Come right out and ask them. You are just assuming all of this and maybe getting yourself all worked up for no reason. Take a deep breath and call them on Monday and say you are due for a refill on wednesday. See what they say and go from there. Good luck.

i am letting my anxiety talk but im not just being silly old man; the practice seems unstable; lots of irregularities ; and im scared of getting caught; not a gp a pain doctor with a major hospital; but beginning to articulate things re protocols standards of care that i know cant be true as trained person; thats whats scary; people nurse practitioners unavailable ; office staff not getting back in time; no i havent abused anything etc; just have been on 30mg for 4 years

OP you already got some great answers. All I can do is wish you the best and that things stay stable. But if you are really that afraid of the withdrawal I would, as others did, to turn to kratom before even thinking about buprenorphine. To make yourself more calm you can buy/order some kratom for the worst case scenario. Great thing about your situation is that you are on relatively small dose of opioid and much can be done to help you if you go into withdrawal. Kratom, clonidine, pregabalin, some benzodiazepine...for a week or so (except kratom which is an opioid) and you would have manageable withdrawal. Of course, your doctor will know what is contraindicated for you, I am just giving examples. It is going to be all right, you have many options. :)

no the doctor didnt cut me off; they seem to be experiencing some problems in the practice; i dont know if someone took something; if theres an irs matter; if someone in the office was selling drugs or something; i just know that i am being told things that cant be true; and i am worried the whole thing might implode; it doesnt feel safe and i dont know whats possible; no i didnt use too much; i took my prescription; i am worried that because of office practice difficultites i may get caught with no meds and im 63 with asthma; i have my pills;' i havent been cut off; but as someone who has lived this long; im getting vibes the practice may not be stable and i could get caught in the circumstances;
Hey, everything is going to be OK. I know EXACTLY the anxieties you are having right now. Most of us here do.

How many pills do you have left?

Either way I want to to be rest assured that even if you run out of pills there are some very good options to you available, like Kratom for example.

A lot has already been answered here.

I just want you to stomp out that end of the world anxiety because IT'S NOT. All of us here truly sympathize, we've been there (usually many times in much more sever dependence). You have options here, friend!

You don't need to worry about a cardiac incident, etc. How long have you been taking it?

What is the indication for which its prescribed? Though i suppose its irrelevant.

If it is difficult to find a replacement prescriber, buprenorphine is readily obtainable, now from online prescriber (the practice of which i personally condone as it should be accessible). Alternatively you could look into kratom. In your situation I'd say something like 3.5 grams every 6 hours should result in little withdrawal symptoms. Get a red strain, like red strain bali. It comes in capsules. Of course it is addictive so you are merely transferring a habit.
4 - 4 1/2 years; i didnt abuse anything; took what the prescription said

OP you already got some great answers. All I can do is wish you the best and that things stay stable. But if you are really that afraid of the withdrawal I would, as others did, to turn to kratom before even thinking about buprenorphine. To make yourself more cm you can buy/order some kratom for the worst case scenario. Great thing about your situation is that you are on relatively small dose of opioid and much can be done to help you if you go into withdrawal. Kratom, clonidine, pregabalin, some benzodiazepine...for a week or so (except kratom which is an opioid) and you would have manageable withdrawal. Of course, your doctor will know what is contraindicated for you, I am just giving examples. It is going to be all right, you have many options. :)
i am going up the block to buy kratom later lol

i have options for scripts; everyone is so crazy about meds; and apts are backed up for weeks

I do not think you are a silly old man. I didn't say that. I am exactly your age. I get it. I really do. Just take a deep breath and call them on Monday and straight up ask them if you are getting your refill that is due on Wednesday. This worrying may all be for naught.

going to the kratom store thank you; i was going to do kratom but then i saw it was looked upon as dangerous by the mayo clinic etc
Kratom is about 100x LESS dangerous than hydrocodone. Come to BL for your drug info, or psychonaut wiki, etc... don't google such information as it will be false or misguided in most cases.

Once you get your kratom I suggest starting with about 6-10g grams and go from there. See how well you can tolerate it before you go for more (it can produce nausea).

Until you get familiar with how kratom effects you I would keep your doses below 12g max. More than that may make you quite nauseous. Experiment liberally, but in general 15g doses or 30g per day maximum is what I would recommend.

Also it should be noted that kratom will interact with many medications that hydrocodone will not. Kratom has a more complex pharmacology.

Taking too much kratom will make you EXTREMELY nauseous, so don't go crazy with it :)

I actually vicariously enjoyed your kratom journey. Solving that anxiety and withdrawal brings an odd sense of satisfaction to myself. Heh.

welcome to BL

Although I generally agree with @Snafu of the Forest , I would suggest taking 4-6 grams of kratom when withdrawal starts and not exceeding 10 grams. It depends on the product as well. When buying say for what purpose you are buying it so you can be given adequate advice. Also kratom last 4 hours (6 max) so you will have to redose just like with hydrocodone. If things even get that far. :)

thank you for taking the time; this is a nice community; give me the online prescriber; also where do i get a tool to measure out the powder; i ordered powder not capusles

4 - 4 1/2 years; i didnt abuse anything; took what the prescription said
the practice began to articuate standards for care that i know cannot be legal; exogenic standards that make no sense; for example; we only go down in dosage never up; now im not on heavy doses of oxycodone or percoset etc; and people take way more than 30mg a day; i was on 37 1/2 and they cut me back for no reason after years; if anything my condition is chronic ; i have ibs; and rectal pain issues and now diverticulosis ( the non infected one ; itis osis? i forget which ) ; what i am being communicated; now i have to be seen by the office every month for a static condition for a drug they put me on; this says to me that someone in the office was dealing or something with the books; and maybe not the principals im dealing with; but they are under scrutiny and the appearance of the office seems to be the governing factor; on top of which i am being told stuff that cannot possibly be true; thats the scary part; from 37 1/2 mg of hydrocodone there is no way to go but down except in cases of end of life; I KNOW there are people with multiple pain killer prescriptions and those on much higher doses than me for very bad backs or diabetic nerve pain etc etc; that i am being told what i know cant be true; ( me two psych masters; psych/forensic psych ) and theyre doing it with a straight face; that is unnerving; i am looking for new provider; where can i get a tool to measure out the kratom; its coming in a 250 g pouch?