• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

If you have high blood pressure will klonopin lower it?

bronson

Bluelighter
I am trying to modify my last thread because it was closed because it seemed like i was trying to find a way to get a previous medication. Anyways plain and simple if you normally have high blood pressure, will klonopin lower it or have no effect? I do know that it slows down my heart rate, makes me calm, less anxious and i would assume that it would lower blood pressure but do not know if it will or does? Does anyone know?

taking possession of this post so discussion can continue...

Last edited:
Benzodiazepines do lower blood pressure by impairing the sympathetic nervous system, but not to clinically relevant levels in those with moderate-severe hypertension.

Where they really excel at controlling blood pressure is during anxiety and panic attacks, where a massive spike in blood pressure tends to occur.

If you have hypertension, you need proper blood pressure medications.

Yeah i don't think i have hypertension, i think the reason why my blood pressure showed up slightly high at my doctors office today and my pulse rate was due to the fact that i did NOT take my klonopin today, and i drank a monster energy drink which i know 100% was responsible for the pulse rate aspect. Out of all the days i did not chose to take it was the worst day as i'm suppose to get started on something for adhd but could not due to the blood pressure/pulse rate.

I guess i just have to go to walgreens or cvs on most of the days that i am on my medication to reassure that my blood pressure is normal due to me feeling less anxious. If it still shows up high than clearly there must be other issues evident. If it shows up as normal than i can verify that in the past it would show up as high because of anxiety and stress.

Last edited:
An energy drink, in addition to benzodiazepine withdrawal, can definitely raise blood pressure. Not only from an anxiety aspect, but also due to a malfunction in the nervous system during withdrawal.

You need to measure your blood pressure everyday for a week to draw any accurate conclusion. It also wouldn't hurt to see a GP, or a cardiologist.

Benzodiazepines are not strong enough to suppress severely high blood pressure.

I also thought benzo's could lower blood pressure a little bit.

Last edited:
I guess you are trying to get ADD/ADHD meds? You know there is a reason they don't prescribe these to people with high blood pressure right?

Benzodiazepines do lower blood pressure by impairing the sympathetic nervous system, but not to clinically relevant levels in those with moderate-severe hypertension.

Where they really excel at controlling blood pressure is during anxiety and panic attacks, where a massive spike in blood pressure tends to occur.

If you have hypertension, you need proper blood pressure medications.

So what about after taking Adderall ? I'm pretty sure it always lowers my blood pressure, as the increase in blood pressure from Adderall is what can result in physical anxiety for me. What I usually look at is the viens on the back of my wrists to see how prominent they are. After taking a benzo to try to comedown, my veins just about always return to just about normal. During the Adderall high my veins clearly protrude under my wrists.

I know that probably wouldn't be considered sever hypertension, but it's still hypertension to an extent.

Also, stating that panic attack/bad anxiety cause spikes in blood pressure, if these anxiety problems are occuring because of Adderall (more so on the comedown), are benzos still effective at lowering blood pressure ? Sometimes no matter the dosage of benzo I still don't even see that much of a decrease in heart rate.

stimulants cause an increase in blood pressure through vasoconstriction hence why people end up with cold extremities on Meth/amp binges and why IV tweakers have such a difficult time hitting veins on binges.

on topic, benzos never dropped my blood pressure. both from opioid detox and from stim binges. clonidine and inderal (sp?) helped though.

stimulants cause an increase in blood pressure through vasoconstriction hence why people end up with cold extremities on Meth/amp binges and why IV tweakers have such a difficult time hitting veins on binges.

on topic, benzos never dropped my blood pressure. both from opioid detox and from stim binges. clonidine and inderal (sp?) helped though.

I am aware of what stimulants do to the cardiovascular system. I was just curious what other opinions and personal experiences on reduction in blood pressure thru use of benzos was.

Interesting you say you've never seen a drop in blood pressure. Did you actually measure your blood pressure ? I'm curious.

I don't actually have any way to measure my blood pressure. I pretty much base it on the protrusion of my veins and when my blood pressure is high, I tend to feel my heartbeat in things like my fingertips if it's really up there from stimulant use. This doesn't happen as often anymore, it was more when I experienced panic attack like symptoms after taking stimulants like my single dabble with a-PVP. Of course this was accompanied by a HR of 186 BPM. Scary shit. Mind you, I had no benzos then lol.

hatrix said:
So what about after taking Adderall ? I'm pretty sure it always lowers my blood pressure

Yes. They certainly would not only by dampening the SNS, but also decreasing noradrenergic release from stimulants. Traditional high blood pressure though has different issues that certainly can't be completely addressed with benzodiazepines.

Yes. They certainly would not only by dampening the SNS, but also decreasing noradrenergic release from stimulants. Traditional high blood pressure though has different issues that certainly can't be completely addressed with benzodiazepines.

As I thought. I have no issues with high blood pressure, so I'm sound in that respect.

And jesus I typed that entire post above and hit reply, get the damn "bluelight is offline for maintenance" message. Thought I was fucked, as going back didn't recover anything I typed. Somehow it still posted though or I would have been salty.

Clonazepam, by changing autonomic properties, leads to stabilization of blood pressure in most patients with labile arterial hypertension. [Source: Clonazepam in the treatment of labile arterial hypertension in the elderly]

Slight lowering of blood pressure (even in those without high blood pressure) is a common side effect of clonazepam, clinically significant hypotension is more rare but is a listed side effect.

In addition, benzo withdrawal can raise blood pressure.

Just for informational purposes: I am prescribed both low-dose clonazepam for anxiety, and propanalol for hypertension, from the same doctor.

i'd definitely avoid benzo withdrawal in that case, sends your BP through the roof and even propranalol won't help much.

i think benzos indirectly lower blood pressure but probably not clinically useful for such things.