• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Is it still possible to taper off benzos after kindling ?

AmateurHour

Greenlighter
Hi, I recently learned , the hard way, that even taking a benzo once after previously being addicted can trigger kindling , something I had never even heard of until now . Oh how I wish I knew that a week or so ago. I had successfully done a very slow taper off xanax that was completed about 6 months ago. I had not taken any but just one the other night had something stressful happen and took one. The next night I couldn’t sleep and had some weird sensations that I did not put together with taking one the night before and did it again. I then posted on here and learned about kindling, and did not take any for the next 3 nights but did not sleep a wink and was having brain zaps and other weird neurologic sensations. I finally caved and took some again because I wasn’t going to be able to function at work and with my family. Even after taking them it took several days for me to almost feel completely normal. The last couple of days I’ve gotten by with only taking 0.5mg of Xanax at night. I know now that I will need to do a slow taper again 😔

But my question is is it still possible to taper off slowly after kindling? It seems based on some things I’ve read like some ppl aren’t able to do it or are very uncomfortable after reductions. Are there any success stories out there or is it all what I don’t want to hear?

Hey,
I was reading about the kindling effect, same as you. BL yesterday i suppose.
I had never heard of it before.
I don't know if it's something that can be or needs to be "cured".
Same as with addiction.
In a practical way, why shouldn't it be possible to taper?

Wow. One use caused such issues after an addiction. Not sure that is the case with everyone as a lot of jokers around here have been addicted and still play around. lol But that is a great warning post.

I read this stuff as this week I will have to use a few benzos. Wife needs a surgery that is risky. But I have hardly taken any and was never addicted. You can bet posts like this keep me in check. Last time my wife was in the hospital I had to take a benzo for 3-4 days in a row. That is the most I have ever strung together. So this week I will hold off until the anxiety gets bad. Actually last time I also had sciatica, learned benzos are great nerve pain drugs. But yeah, use it sparingly precisley because of threads like this. BL can be a lifesaver.

Feel better OP, I think a med that can help anxiety and sleep without addiction is needed. Although I think they go hand in hand. But one use to cause such issues is amazing. Also I see a person can play around for a good bit before getting bit, but once that happens it seems to change the game.

I do know people on daily clonazepam and diazepam for years. Never increased dose and seem ok. Kicking up tolerance also seems to be a factor in how much one gets bit.

If it has only been a few days I strongly recommend against tapering as you will just make the matter worse.

I also get nasty rebounds from even occasional use of benzos due to my past history of benzodiazepine withdrawal (I've gone through two full blown benzo withdrawal syndromes, tremendous doses involved, seperated by a bunch of years, so my GABAA receptors are poorly functioning).

This appears to be permanent, since I quit benzos for the second time back around 2011. Yet I am still extremely sensitive to the rebound. This must mean that my baseline GABAA receptor tone/function must be pretty off, sort of permanently insensitive to the effects of endogenous GABA. Not surprisingly, my baseline anxiety is higher than it was before i fucked with benzos. Still, i take benzos on occasion if needed, but there is a price tag to it. What's fucked up is that in someways, i feel more like my old self when I take benzos now, which sort of illustrates how insensitive my GABAA receptors have become.

What should I do? Please help.
Hey buddy I hate seeing people suffer. And really any advice should come from people with experience. With that I would follow what negrogesic said. Don't taper if you have not continued taking xanax. One use with the rebound should probably be treated with magnesium, chamomile tea, maybe some over the counter sleep meds. From what I read rebound goes away after a few days.

For more help filter on Benzos in Other Drugs and read more posts. Maybe an outside view will help, I tend to listen to negrogesic when it comes to gaba drugs.

Keep us posted, I hope you are feeling better.

Hi, I recently learned , the hard way, that even taking a benzo once after previously being addicted can trigger kindling , something I had never even heard of until now . Oh how I wish I knew that a week or so ago. I had successfully done a very slow taper off xanax that was completed about 6 months ago. I had not taken any but just one the other night had something stressful happen and took one. The next night I couldn’t sleep and had some weird sensations that I did not put together with taking one the night before and did it again. I then posted on here and learned about kindling, and did not take any for the next 3 nights but did not sleep a wink and was having brain zaps and other weird neurologic sensations. I finally caved and took some again because I wasn’t going to be able to function at work and with my family. Even after taking them it took several days for me to almost feel completely normal. The last couple of days I’ve gotten by with only taking 0.5mg of Xanax at night. I know now that I will need to do a slow taper again 😔

But my question is is it still possible to taper off slowly after kindling? It seems based on some things I’ve read like some ppl aren’t able to do it or are very uncomfortable after reductions. Are there any success stories out there or is it all what I don’t want to hear?
A dozen or so failed cold turkeys, and a few tapers in the past has left me heavily kindled.

However in the past 2 years I've managed to taper down from 60mg to 40mg Diazepam.

So it's absolutely possible 😊

If your hypersensitive to dose reductions try micro tapering.