• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Is occasional gabapentin or pregabalin recreational use safe?

@pulverstaden , Thank you so much!! I hope today is day one of No opiates ?? I took 5mgs yesterday afternoon after work ( I own my own business and work outside in the ( Cold Nor,East winters) just had my birthday 12/16/1960 , So am now 60 !?! Wow how the fuck did that happen so quickly??? But much better than the alternative ❤️
So I need to ask?? Do I wait to take my Gab until I am feeling shitty, or do I take my first dose , in morning, second at lunch and third at bed time??
thanks

Wow, congrats mr! Haha, when I turned 30 I thought the exact same thing; what the fuck happened to those 12 years since graduating?!

I always waited until I felt shitty before dosing. And then I staggered the dosages. Do you know how to stagger the dosages?
I didn't until Gabapentin. Let me know if you need some tips, diet and such greatly impact Gabapentins effects. :)
Remember;
- Fatty foods
- Olive-oil (optional, but recommended)
- 1 can of 12 OZ soda per 900 mg of gaba

I used to fix up a full fatty meal and halfway through it down my 300mg capsule with one third of a 12 OZ (33cl) acidic soda-pop.
If you need to take more, wait ~30 minutes and take another capsule with a small, fatty snack and another third of the soda.

The reason for the fatty foods is because Gabapentin is lipophilic; it bonds to fat in order to be processed by the body.
The acidity of your carbonated drink will help digest the Gabapentin more effectively.
Olive oil is mostly unsaturated fats which makes it really good when increasing absorption of Gabapentin. Unsaturated fat is better for dissolving/binding to Gabapentin, due to hydrogen atoms (I dated a pharmacology-student while I had my gabapentin-script).
The reason you need to take it with a meal is to decrease the rate of absoprtion in ordeer to increase total ansorption.

Never take a large dose all at once, it's a waste of pills (trust me).

Maybe you knew all this, but I figured it won't hurt, right?

And you are so very welcome my friend. Have a great night :)

Thank you 😊 I know nothing of this journey I have been on with opiates! I never had an opiate till I was 50, and prescribed 120 oxides use as needed with unlimited refills 😬😬 boy did that not go well? I had been C & S for 23 years, told my oncologist I was an alcoholic, but he said treatment is Horrible , so Asa good addict who hates pain, and from a Dr , WTF. Right ?..
well now we are opiate free, and doing pain managmnet with Gabipentin. So thanks for all the help.

I never had a bad experience with it until my teeth started rotting (faster than normal lol) and I read loads of anecdotal reports of tooth loss and decay in long term patients, it freaked me out so I stopped taking it. Was on 1800mgs per day in 3 divided doses. Teeth have seemed better since but it’s hardly empirical evidence lol

apart from that admittedly dubious issue it seems rather benign even in chronic high doses, although many people obviously get intolerable side effects

i would remind people that just because one person reacts to a substance in a bad way doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad drug or you will react that way

Wow, congrats mr! Haha, when I turned 30 I thought the exact same thing; what the fuck happened to those 12 years since graduating?!

I always waited until I felt shitty before dosing. And then I staggered the dosages. Do you know how to stagger the dosages?
I didn't until Gabapentin. Let me know if you need some tips, diet and such greatly impact Gabapentins effects. :)
Remember;
- Fatty foods
- Olive-oil (optional, but recommended)
- 1 can of 12 OZ soda per 900 mg of gaba

I used to fix up a full fatty meal and halfway through it down my 300mg capsule with one third of a 12 OZ (33cl) acidic soda-pop.
If you need to take more, wait ~30 minutes and take another capsule with a small, fatty snack and another third of the soda.

The reason for the fatty foods is because Gabapentin is lipophilic; it bonds to fat in order to be processed by the body.
The acidity of your carbonated drink will help digest the Gabapentin more effectively.
Olive oil is mostly unsaturated fats which makes it really good when increasing absorption of Gabapentin. Unsaturated fat is better for dissolving/binding to Gabapentin, due to hydrogen atoms (I dated a pharmacology-student while I had my gabapentin-script).
The reason you need to take it with a meal is to decrease the rate of absoprtion in ordeer to increase total ansorption.

Never take a large dose all at once, it's a waste of pills (trust me).

Maybe you knew all this, but I figured it won't hurt, right?

And you are so very welcome my friend. Have a great night :)
Staggering doses is definitely the only way to get a buzz off gaba IME and I’m sure it leads to a stronger effect in relieving withdrawal as well.

I never had a bad experience with it until my teeth started rotting (faster than normal lol) and I read loads of anecdotal reports of tooth loss and decay in long term patients, it freaked me out so I stopped taking it. Was on 1800mgs per day in 3 divided doses. Teeth have seemed better since but it’s hardly empirical evidence lol

apart from that admittedly dubious issue it seems rather benign even in chronic high doses, although many people obviously get intolerable side effects

i would remind people that just because one person reacts to a substance in a bad way doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad drug or you will react that way
Gabapentin and pregabalin are both being linked to dementia. The former moreso. There are definitely negative permanent effects from long term use.

Gabapentin and pregabalin are both being linked to dementia. The former moreso. There definitely negative permanent effects from long term use.
I suppose that makes sense, it seems like most things that act via gaba modulation increase the risk of dementia, benzos, alcohol etc

Gabapentin and pregabalin are both being linked to dementia. The former moreso. There are definitely negative permanent effects from long term use.
Yes. I have been taking pregabalin for almost two years now. If you ask me what I did yesterday I'd have to think hard. :rolleyes:

I read gabapentin stops the brain from producing new synapses but doesn't touch existing ones, anyway I'm mostly worried about some kind of brain damage. i used it once a month not too long ago and i'd like to use it again, but my anxiety about it is stopping me
I had read a similar article. But then another Dr/Scientist broke it down as junk science and not much meaning. I had saved the articles on my older laptop. It is the reason I will not take my script but once a while. I also load up on calcium/magnesium the day after. I am not convinced my once a week gabapentin is what keeps my sciatica at bay but I can be supersticious. But I don't put much stock in those articles. I also do not believe brain cells hold memories or create new ones. I am more in line with the Stuart Hameroff theories. If this drug stopped forming memories we would not be able to find our car key. lol :D

I also have access to pregabalin when I go to Canada but although I never had a seizure in my life I got head shocks with it that scared me. It is stronger sharper and hits harder than gabapentin but to me there is a subtle euphoria with gabapentin that pregabalin does not have.

It is an interesting drug. I mean what do we know? How do calclium channel blockers sometimes create such a state. I can only imagine what we will discover. But as far as the whole nerve/memory syanaps issue I am not seeing it and neither did the doc that contradicted that article. I will try and find it and link it if I can even boot my old laptop.

I've only a little experience with pregabalin which I used for WD. I was also worried about negative effects so I kept my dose consistent and low (sub 150mg a day). I found that tolerance grew quicker than any drug I've tried (with exception of shrooms maybe). It was definitely still helping (with RLS mainly) by day 3 but I could otherwise not tell I'd taken any compared to the effect on day 1.