L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Is sex a need?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I've always heard many people say that sex is a basic need alongside food, water, shelter, and clothing. I think that's B.S. Sexual desire is a very strong want, but a want nonetheless.

Sexual reproduction is necessary for the survival of the species but not the individual. I would say human contact is more important for a functioning human being. Even though it won't kill you, a person would be essentially stunted without it. Many people in solitary confinement go insane without human contact.

I know plenty of people who don't have sex but lead fulfilling lives.

It's a need.

If you don't believe me consider the fact that gay subcultures exist even in countries where homosexuality is a crime punishable by death. If you have any sort of sexuality or sexual desire, you need an outlet for that...otherwise it's an unfulfilled need. That's how I look at it anyway.

According to Siegel, Sex is a drive, like hunger and thirst. Also Intoxication is a drive. Tho you can survive without sex and intoxication, you can't survive without hunger or thirst.

It's not the same level as food or water in the hierarchy of needs people have, but it's a need nonetheless. Even these people who never have sex most likely masturbate or at least have sexual thoughts correct? Most, most likely. The few who engage in little to no sexual activity or thought whatsoever are usually having something wrong medically.

It's a need.

I've always heard many people say that sex is a basic need alongside food, water, shelter, and clothing. I think that's B.S. Sexual desire is a very strong want, but a want nonetheless.
I agree with you. Not a necessity in any way, shape or form as far as I'm concerned.
Touch on the other hand, sexual as well as platonic, feels closer to a need than a want, but you'd still survive without it.
No water kills you, no food kills you, no air kills you. No sex might make you frustrated, angry or depressed, but as far as I know it can't cause organ failure, respiratory depression or a slow painful death. Possibly blue balls and blue vag?
I kinda put it in the same category as human contact though, social, physical, sexual contact. So in that way, yes it is a need.
Do you think platonic contact, like hugs from friends and family et cetera, is more important? :)
It's not the same level as food or water in the hierarchy of needs people have, but it's a need nonetheless. Even these people who never have sex most likely masturbate or at least have sexual thoughts correct? Most, most likely. The few who engage in little to no sexual activity or thought whatsoever are usually having something wrong medically.
It seems to me like it's either or. If you don't drink water for a long time, it's not like it most likely kill you. It does. Which is the difference of a need compared to a want. A want is not essential for you to survive, but a need is.

If the majority of people who doesn't have sex do so because of medical conditions, it wouldn't surprise me. Neither would it if the majority who doesn't engage in it because it's "boring and messy". Which society seems to view as something medically wrong indeed, becaue who doesn't like sex!?
It's a weird stigma that needs to disappear, I think.
It's a need.
Which would equate sex to oxygen. With all due respect sir, I disagree.

Last edited:
Well, with the exception of that 3-some I had earlier this year, I am surviving without sex.

Don’t get me wrong - this is truly not my preference and I’ve had a few offers here but I am not feeling any connection.

It will happen when it’s supposed to. And no, I’m not in menopause. I’m just waiting for someone interesting.

It's a need.
I would think that's true 99.9% of the time, but there probably are exceptions to that honestly. It would be highly out of the ordinary though, that's for sure.

It depends on what you mean by "need". I won't die without it like water or air but I know that this has been studied and people with healthy active sex lives in their relationship that they are happier.

It depends on what you mean by "need". I won't die without it like water or air but I know that this has been studied and people with healthy active sex lives in their relationship that they are happier.
This post gets close to how I feel about sex. I think it depends on the context of how we are looking at it.

I don't think sex is a necessity to survive or even be happy, although some people may attach their happiness to their sex lives. As far as romantic relationships are concerned, I believe sex is necessary as part of the glue that makes a relationship healthy. Platonic relationships, obviously not.

It felt like a need from teens to ??? , when testosterone levels peaking I guess.

Most definitely not a need for most men after the testosterone dip I'd imagine

I agree with the 2nd part of the statement above.

With a good partner it’s the best thing in the world (maybe there are better things, but yes).

I don't think it is outside an organism's "need" to replicate their DNA which in that sense the sex impulse is natural desire but with human intellect I think it can be reasoned it is not a survival need outside a species' urge for continuance now if that constitutes a need in your eyes I cannot argue for me I feel I want to explore nonejaculatory sex at present like sexual yoga Indian and Chinese style but that is blatant desire not like eating wholesome food to survive

Now what about same sex attraction? The need to feel love is instrinsic I feel that is a need I don't think sex is the only outlet to express nor find that but for many people they need sex bonding to experience love so lovemaking is a genuine heartfelt need in a loving relationship regardless of procreation final thoughts

Last edited:
Sex is a drive that may seem like a need. The priority of sex in our lives change with our mindsets. Fundamentally, it is a base desire that is unnecessary for ones survival.

Society would be a lot healthier and less repressed if sex was regarded as a need. I work with severely disabled people, many of whom don't have an outlet. If we said this is a basic need, it would be easier to start a dialogue. I've always wanted to be a sexual advocate for the disabled. Like some kind of super pimp... but I'm not sure how that would work. The government has made the industry inflexible.

Society would be a lot healthier and less repressed if sex was regarded as a need. I work with severely disabled people, many of whom don't have an outlet. If we said this is a basic need, it would be easier to start a dialogue. I've always wanted to be a sexual advocate for the disabled. Like some kind of super pimp... but I'm not sure how that would work. The government has made the industry inflexible.
Yes, I would advocate that sex work be legalized in most countries very much in order to serve people with disabilities.

Sexual reproduction is necessary for the survival of the species but not the individual. I would say human contact is more important for a functioning human being. Even though it won't kill you, a person would be essentially stunted without it. Many people in solitary confinement go insane without human contact.

I know plenty of people who don't have sex but lead fulfilling lives.

No Absolutely 100% not. It is a WANT. TECHNICALLY - for men - (or, I should say, cis-men) ejaculation is a need as otherwise the risk of certain cancers, particularly prostate cancer, increases exponentially. But generally, no, not a need. You can safely live a normal life without sex. Some people so. Especially if you masturbate.