• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Left GBL in soda can, is it ruined?

PoundSterling

Greenlighter
Was left there for quite a bit of time, there was not a huge amount of damage but the small circle at the bottom of the bottle was discoloured white and a few white marks towards the lid (not in contact with the GBL)

should it be thrown away?

Soda cans have a polymer coating on the inside. Sounds like the gbl dissolved that coating, so you'd be drinking an unknown amount of BPA and other potentially nasty stuff. I wouldn't recommend taking it.

I would probably transfer it to something glass first off. Then I would probably take it, personally.

That's not the right thing to tell you to do though in the name of harm reduction... I must say I'm a not really up to date on the risks of consuming the dissolved polymer coating on a can.

I have smoked out of cans before and surely it's a similar risk? You'd be burning the coating off and inhaling it.

Soda cans have a polymer coating on the inside. Sounds like the gbl dissolved that coating, so you'd be drinking an unknown amount of BPA and other potentially nasty stuff. I wouldn't recommend taking it.
It's was not a soda can, but a PETE plastic bottle

It's was not a soda can, but a PETE plastic bottle
Alright.
Was it pure or diluted gbl? And how long was it left there? Are we talking days or more like many weeks/months?
You also mentioned a discoloration but did the liquid itself change color? (Would be nice if you could post a photo).

I don't think it would be super dangerous to consume, it's unlikely to make you ill if it's just a one time thing. But if we're talking about a small amount of gbl that was left there for a very long time at room temperature I personally wouldn't take the risk.

It was about 120ml left for 2 weeks, there was no change to the liquids colour or appearance it is pure GBL and completely clear still with no bits floating around

For the last week it has been in a clear glass jar. It would be a shame to throw it as GBL has become very hard to come by

I threw the bottle away but it was a 1.5l bottle, visible damage was at the very bottom of the bottle which was minimal and some white marks at the top of the bottle closer to the lid that were not in contact with the gbl which I'm guessing is a causatic reaction

Last edited:
Hmm. I might chance it. I don't know what the risks are though.

It was about 120ml left for 2 weeks, there was no change to the liquids colour or appearance it is pure GBL and completely clear still with no bits floating around

For the last week it has been in a clear glass jar. It would be a shame to throw it as GBL has become very hard to come by

I threw the bottle away but it was a 1.5l bottle, visible damage was at the very bottom of the bottle which was minimal and some white marks at the top of the bottle closer to the lid that were not in contact with the gbl which I'm guessing is a causatic reaction
Well it's up to you. That's quite a bit of gbl so I understand not wanting to throw it away. I believe it should be safe enough but I don't know for sure. Start with a regular dose (on the low side) and see if you notice something strange when it comes to the taste and/or the effects themselves.
I'd recommend storing your gbl in the fridge.

No. I used to mix whatever ML of GBL with soda, (would draw the GBL up and squirt it in a shot glass, then pour a bit of soda in it to help with taste. and i never noticed if the effects were ruined because I would feel them).

true GBL is heavier then most liquids so I believe if you had much more of it then it would sink and separate from the other liquids.
If anything maybe you could pour it into a plastic test tube or cylinder of sorts and let it separate. Then once it does you could syphon it out into another container and go from there to try and sanatize it or make it safer to take.

No. I used to mix whatever ML of GBL with soda, (would draw the GBL up and squirt it in a shot glass, then pour a bit of soda in it to help with taste. and i never noticed if the effects were ruined because I would feel them).

true GBL is heavier then most liquids so I believe if you had much more of it then it would sink and separate from the other liquids.
If anything maybe you could pour it into a plastic test tube or cylinder of sorts and let it separate. Then once it does you could syphon it out into another container and go from there to try and sanatize it or make it safer to take.
Sorry the thread title was a mistake it was actually a water bottle (plastic) that I had the G in. Any advice on that? Or if you could change the title too that would be great

If anything maybe you could pour it into a plastic test tube or cylinder of sorts and let it separate.
He/she means it's possibly mixed with the plastic from the empty bottle, not any actual soda.

O. P:
The discoloration at the bottom was the plastic melting, you're lucky the G didn't eat right through it, are you sure it's pure?

If it's still 100% clear with no bits id prob take it myself, a very small amount of plastic melted into 120ml is a very small amount per dose right? I'd taste it first relatively undiluted in water to see if there's a weird plastic taste, if there is and it makes you feel weird or unwell throw it, it's not that hard to come by