• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Limiting needle use

gibberish-noise

Bluelighter
I'll preface with a disclaimer: I've self harmed in a variety of ways throughout my life. Yet there is a certain satisfaction in blood - that moment when the vein is pierced and the pressure flows out - that nothing else, bar a very good oxy, can give me. So far I've been good about limiting my substance use (any ROA or sort, even weed or alcohol) to two highs (whether polysubstance or a single drug per high) weekly. But I fear that I'm becoming addicted to the needle the same way I fell into other forms of self harm. The blood, the ritual, the feeling. My technique is fairly decent and so there are minimal marks. Whereas with other, more visible forms of self harm, the social consequences are immediate and eternal. Worst case scenario, you get sectioned. Having stopped or greatly reduced most other forms of release (or self harm as most consider it), I've gradually began sticking myself more often than I'd prefer.

Which brings me to my question - what are some methods you have used to reduce needle use? Not necessarily switching up ROA as the two aren't always correlated for me. I find that I enjoy every aspect, from the searching and poking about to the relief and release when I register and hit. Even without any active substance, I will often reuse needles (11 times in one night has been my limit simply because the needle became too dull to puncture short of stabbing myself and at that point I'd blow through the vein) and inject saline solution or just drabble about with registering and flushing. I don't know how to adequately explain the thrill I get when I draw up and a plume of blood meanders into the column.

I try to rotate sites (though I'd be lying if I said that the ditch doesn't tempt me on the daily), practise good hygiene (I stop using an alcohol swab once it gets dry or is visibly soiled) and aftercare (vitamins, exercise, staying hydrated). I don't want to fuck my veins up. But the later I go, the worse it gets. I rinse the syringe with tap water, pay little heed to proper technique, rationalise 'just one more' with a questionably-still-useful swab and blunt needle tip.

It's the 'just one more' that gets me. Every time, I set out with a firm intention: one needle, one poke. When I fail to register on the first try, that rule expands itself to 'one needle, one register' and then when I register and lose the spot, 'one needle, one hit'. And then it's 'just one more'. And round and round we go. I've spent far too many hours late at night chasing that one moment when I had work early the next morning. I'm going to fail my exams like a complete twat because I prioritised that one moment over my studies.

What do you to to quell the needle craving? Nothing else I've tried pushes quite the same brain buttons.

I have had the same obsession ever since i started using needles. Id slam vodka just to have something to put in my vein. I agree. Nothing beats the of seeing that plum of blood when you register. Lately i have been watching tumblr videos on slamming meth just to get that fix of seeing the register. Seems to do the trick for me anyways.

I've got no veins left from shooting up coke. And the negative consequences iv use has brought to my life deters me from using...

Doubt much can be done to "reduce needle cravings." You've already bitten that apple but you are objectively on a borrowed clock. This will only go on for so long before you cannot shoot up at all anymore.

IF it really is that enjoyable to you then enjoy it while you still have veins left or surface areas to do it.

Doubt much can be done to "reduce needle cravings." You've already bitten that apple but you are objectively on a borrowed clock. This will only go on for so long before you cannot shoot up at all anymore.

IF it really is that enjoyable to you then enjoy it while you still have veins left or surface areas to do it.
Why not? If it is analogous to other forms of addiction (or bad habits if that label doesn't suit), there are plenty of people who have stopped craving. They found other things that fixed them. And there are many more, I am sure, who still struggle mentally to varying extents but have managed to avoid acting.

Just because I'm on borrowed time doesn't mean I need rush it. Obviously there are individual differences in opinion, but I was of the belief that on the whole, this forum is about harm reduction. Not 'you're already doing the thing so just do it that way til you die, cheers'. If someone chooses to go that route that's their prerogative, but I asked for alternative ideas.

What's your DOC? Cocaine? I'm guessing that just because 11 times in one night is a bit much for anything else...

What's your DOC? Cocaine? I'm guessing that just because 11 times in one night is a bit much for anything else...
Adept analysis, haha. You might be right if the blow around here was any good. But as it's not...I prefer pills. Not to worry, I haven't slammed those (yet).

Though if you read the beginning of that sentence, you'll have caught that I specified without any substance - that it's the needle more so than any drug that's becoming a problem for me.

Why not? If it is analogous to other forms of addiction (or bad habits if that label doesn't suit), there are plenty of people who have stopped craving. They found other things that fixed them. And there are many more, I am sure, who still struggle mentally to varying extents but have managed to avoid acting.

Just because I'm on borrowed time doesn't mean I need rush it. Obviously there are individual differences in opinion, but I was of the belief that on the whole, this forum is about harm reduction. Not 'you're already doing the thing so just do it that way til you die, cheers'. If someone chooses to go that route that's their prerogative, but I asked for alternative ideas.

Sorry it wasn't my intention to come off like that. Other posters will give much better ideas. I haven't seen anyone find ways to reduce needle cravings because there's nothing quite like the needle. I don't see alternate ways that would suit someone already with an addiction to the IV process itself because there's no comparison and your veins are at stake.

If anything you could try to reduce the amount of times you use the needle for the best rushes and try to resist the urges for substances that do not have any benefit recreationally when you IV them. Consistently using the needle for any time a substance *could* be IV'd is going to make the needle process deteriorate your health at a substantially faster rate. I don't think one could ever lose appeal in the IV needle process once biting the apple, but just resist certain moments of flocking to IV'ing every single time if that makes sense.

I've got no veins left from shooting up coke. And the negative consequences iv use has brought to my life deters me from using...
Yep, same. Only way I stopped IVing was to not be able to IV anymore (and it was coke that caused this for the most part). Now I just IM or make a suppository and squirt it up the poop shoot. IM second best ROA and rectal the best that doesn't involve a needle. Rectal is just as good for many drugs like amphetamines (dextroamphetamine, methamphetamine and MDMA/MDA. I'm sure the aminorex's and phentrazine's work as well like that too.

Last edited: