• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Long term MDMA abusers, do you think it causes permanent damage / depression?

FreedomCalls

Bluelighter
So recently I've been IVing MDMA, but I still keep it to a maximum of once a month. I'm curious for my fellow MDMA lovers if they feel the drug has caused permanent irreversible depression?
'
Theres so many studies about how dangerous MDMA is and I'm just curious about real life experiences of people who have used this substance long term.

Personally I think K2 / Spice messed my brain up permanently, and I take all the necessary precautions with MDMA .. as safe as i can be (VItamin C, magnesium, antioxidants, water, ALA, omega 3s.. I do what i can)

So.. do you guys think MDMA causes depression that can't be fixed through sobriety?

Last edited:
Just to be clear on one crucial thing- you mean a "maximum" of once a month right?

If so maybe you want to edit that. It makes a big difference to the advice you may receive.

Just to be clear on one crucial thing- you mean a "maximum" of once a month right?

If so maybe you want to edit that. It makes a big difference to the advice you may receive.

Yes, yes maximum haha. Sorry quite the error thank you

No one is really going to be able to answer that as brain chemistry varies so, so much. I work in the medical field and I’ve seen people have reactions to substances that permanently change them in ways the majority never experience. Its all about a bell curve and the fact there will always be thousands of genetic variations in human biology.

While both groups are outliers, some people can abuse it with no major problems and other people will roll a few times and have long lasting issues with anxiety or depression.

Undoing what’s done is difficult, if not impossible at times, while prevention costs nothing. Always error on the side of caution. If you can’t then drugs aren’t for you.

Id argue so, id even argue one month is defintiely not enough wait time. Especially as you get older. If you are iv'ing mdma, you may wanna look in the mirror and think about this. Stay safe!

From my memory it could be argued that safe reasonable dosing of IV MDMA may be safer neurotoxicity wise than oral because less/no neurotoxic metabolites.

With that said, yea once a month is too much. Then of course there’s complications from the IV use in general. Also probably not wise to IV more than once in a session.

Idk I just feel there are other better drugs for IV use than MDMA personally but each to their own. If I’m gonna IV an empathogen it’d be just about any other besides MDMA, MDA and Methylone probably wouldn’t be bad. MDA IV I hear is a hell of a trip.

-GC

Thank you everyone for your replies.

From my memory it could be argued that safe reasonable dosing of IV MDMA may be safer neurotoxicity wise than oral because less/no neurotoxic metabolites.

With that said, yea once a month is too much. Then of course there’s complications from the IV use in general. Also probably not wise to IV more than once in a session.

Idk I just feel there are other better drugs for IV use than MDMA personally but each to their own. If I’m gonna IV an empathogen it’d be just about any other besides MDMA, MDA and Methylone probably wouldn’t be bad. MDA IV I hear is a hell of a trip.

-GC

I actually read that somewhere too that by IVing it wasn't as neurotoxic which is interesting. I agree once a month is probably too much and should probably keep it to a few times a year to be safer. I may have to look into MDA, and other options.

Thank you

I may have to look into MDA, and other options.
I think @G_Chem might have given you the wrong impression regarding MDA. It is more neurotoxic than MDMA. So considerng that the purpose of your enquiry, and your intention is essentially harm reduction, I don't see how it would make sense to favour MDA over MDMA whatever the administration route.

G_Chem is simply saying MDA is a very effrctive substance via IV and an awsone trip.

Not- "just switch to IV'ing MDA instead if MDMA. That should solve your problem", sort of thing.

I think the sensible advice would be- method probably okay (may be less neurotoxic, perhaps not so suited to redosing), but less often. 3 months minimum wait.

And in the meantime, consider some other, non- MD and crucially- non-neurotoxic drugs which are well suited to IV.

I think that would be the community's collective advice. Sorry I can't help you with IV drug recommendations.

To avoid long tern serotonin depletion, take L-tryptophan or 5-hydroxytryptophan at the end of a trip, but be careful because of possibility of serotonin syndrome, if taken with MDA/MDMA. Depends from your body..
Mine for instance can handle insane dosages of hilarious and dangerous mixes, while someone else experiencing serotonin syndrome from drinking st. John's Wort tea alone.
Depression caused mostly because of depletion of monoamines(serotonin, dopamine etc) cause most phenylethylamines and amphetamines acting as the monoamine releasers, crawling into dopamine/serotonin receptor and pushing a stick of named amine out of it, which causes.. "Effects".
Stock is not infinite though, and to resupply it, someone's body needs 5-hydroxytryptophan, which produced from L-tryptophan, and then directly into serotonin

I think @G_Chem might have given you the wrong impression regarding MDA. It is more neurotoxic than MDMA. So considerng that the purpose of your enquiry, and your intention is essentially harm reduction, I don't see how it would make sense to favour MDA over MDMA whatever the administration route.

G_Chem is simply saying MDA is a very effrctive substance via IV and an awsone trip.

Not- "just switch to IV'ing MDA instead if MDMA. That should solve your problem", sort of thing.

I think the sensible advice would be- method probably okay (may be less neurotoxic, perhaps not so suited to redosing), but less often. 3 months minimum wait.

And in the meantime, consider some other, non- MD and crucially- non-neurotoxic drugs which are well suited to IV.

I think that would be the community's collective advice. Sorry I can't help you with IV drug recommendations.

No most definitely I do not want to damage my brain anymore than I have haha. I was stupid when I was younger with drugs, and can't afford that luxury anymore. Thankfully I really don't IV anything else, IV coke was overrated to me and I'm clean off heroin for 3 years.

To avoid long tern serotonin depletion, take L-tryptophan or 5-hydroxytryptophan at the end of a trip, but be careful because of possibility of serotonin syndrome, if taken with MDA/MDMA. Depends from your body..
Mine for instance can handle insane dosages of hilarious and dangerous mixes, while someone else experiencing serotonin syndrome from drinking st. John's Wort tea alone.
Depression caused mostly because of depletion of monoamines(serotonin, dopamine etc) cause most phenylethylamines and amphetamines acting as the monoamine releasers, crawling into dopamine/serotonin receptor and pushing a stick of named amine out of it, which causes.. "Effects".
Stock is not infinite though, and to resupply it, someone's body needs 5-hydroxytryptophan, which produced from L-tryptophan, and then directly into serotonin

I'll have to bust out the 5-HTP. I think I'm on the side with you because if I could get serotonin syndrome I think it would be too late by now. One night I did use a ton of adderall and I took a large dose of 5-HTP at the end (a friend told me to and gave me them) and I think that was the closest I ever got. It was a weird sensation but very scary.

Thanks for the tips

No most definitely I do not want to damage my brain anymore than I have haha. I was stupid when I was younger with drugs, and can't afford that luxury anymore. Thankfully I really don't IV anything else, IV coke was overrated to me and I'm clean off heroin for 3 years.

I'll have to bust out the 5-HTP. I think I'm on the side with you because if I could get serotonin syndrome I think it would be too late by now. One night I did use a ton of adderall and I took a large dose of 5-HTP at the end (a friend told me to and gave me them) and I think that was the closest I ever got. It was a weird sensation but very scary.

Thanks for the tips
About serotonin syndrome , it was just a warning to be careful :)
I haven't experienced serotonin syndrome even when mixed 300mg venlafaxine, 30mg mirtazapine, 600mg pregabalin. 20mg hydrocodone and 350mg of 4-MMC.. I was wasted, nothing else.
I guess it's too late for it to appear for me too :)

The human brain is incredibly adept at healing itself and can - over time - replace the damaged receptors with new, healthy ones. It would take months, possibly even years depending on the extent of the damage and the duration of your MDMA use, and of course you would have to abstain from MDMA and similar damaging drugs in order for this to happen.
It is possible to cause permanent damage, but that's only in severe cases.

The human brain is incredibly adept at healing itself and can - over time - replace the damaged receptors with new, healthy ones. It would take months, possibly even years depending on the extent of the damage and the duration of your MDMA use, and of course you would have to abstain from MDMA and similar damaging drugs in order for this to happen.
It is possible to cause permanent damage, but that's only in severe cases.
You can damage the brain so hard that it would require more years than you will be able to live

About serotonin syndrome , it was just a warning to be careful :)
I haven't experienced serotonin syndrome even when mixed 300mg venlafaxine, 30mg mirtazapine, 600mg pregabalin. 20mg hydrocodone and 350mg of 4-MMC.. I was wasted, nothing else.
I guess it's too late for it to appear for me too :)

I take 150-300mg Sertraline, 150mg Trazodone and 400-1000mg Tramadol every day and I occasionally take doses of 300-360mg DXM and I've never had Serotonin Syndrome either. There's been two or three times when I suspected I had a mild case of SS but nothing that made me worried enough to go to the hospital or even call my GP.

You quickly see it consume people once they are using mdma 2-3 nights a week, years down the road they are fried with major depression. Just use mdma responsibility and everything is fine

You quickly see it consume people once they are using mdma 2-3 nights a week, years down the road they are fried with major depression. Just use mdma responsibility and everything is fine

And to be fair, this one IS correct information. wait a good long time between doses (like 4-8 months imo) Disrespect this drug, and its gonna disrespect you.

MDMA abuse messed me up for life in ways that I am still discovering. The brain is adaptable and can regrow but I suspect that the serotonin neuron tree that regrows after it is devastated by MDMA is not as resilient. Since the days of my abuse, I experience depression more easily. I suspect this is because my serotonin system downregulates much easier than it otherwise would have in its original state.

Sobriety and proper lifestyle can heal most things, but it doesn't mean you'll have the same neural configuration that you used to.

yes.
anything that releases seretonin or alters your brain chemitsty in an artificial way can.

tread carefully
as much as i advocated for it in my youth it's ironic that i am now saying this.

if it was regulated and pharma grade it may lessen the damage but then looking at they oxy problem i doubt it.

Nitrous oxide did far more damage to my brain than anything else ever did though, including pingers or mdma