• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Mushrooms Subthread] First time Shrooming

How many grams of dry P. Cubensis mushrooms would you recommend for a first time?

• Up to 1 gram

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Over 1 gram and up to 1.5 grams

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Over 1.5 grams and up to 2.5 grams

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Over 2.5 grams and up to 3.5 grams

• Over 3.5 grams

• Total voters
My first time I took 3.5 grams in a group of about 10 people who I didn't know. They ended up becoming some of my best friends, who I still hang out with when I get back into town.

Just don't freak out (it's a conscience choice), and don't plan it out. Just let it happen.

My ritual.... (posted this before)

*2 8ths between three people seems to be the right amount for me and my crew.

I prefer to trip at night, as its trippier.
I always have some herb, and at least 1 friend.
Don't be stoned already when you dose.

*Eat a good breakfast. (with a multivitamin, if possible)
*Eat a light lunch.
*Have a decent snack about an hour before you eat your fungus, so that you feel satisfied, but not full.
*Dose your fungus.
*Wait until the last person of your group feels the tryptamine rush (Butterflies, chest pressure, etc.)
*Smoke a bowl, and the visuals will pop out of the woodwork (literally! Haha!)
*Go on a hike or walk where you aren't likely to run into other people OUTSIDE
*Camping is an ideal setting.

Last edited:
^ I prefer to smoke the bowl right after I eat the mushrooms, mainly to deal with the nausea. It also tends to ease the anxiety I get when coming up. However, please note that if you're not a regular smoker, cannabis might have an opposite effect on anxiety, so heed with caution.

Chances are you won't be able to make up your mind once you're on them, so as some say to just go with the flow, I say plan it before.

Amount: Start off low, if it's your first experience, and it's a good one. Then you will more than likely want to have more trips in the future. Take your time to work you're way up in dosages, there's no rush. Experimentation with substances is supposed to be fun and adventurous. Accuracy by volume ;). Besides, worst case scenario, if you did feel you didn't take enough, you can smoke on some Cannabis which should increase the overall effects and intensity. Try 1.5g (half an eight) and smoke a few joints.

Setting: For me, if I had the choice of a first time trip, it would have been at the beach. As long as it's a secluded section, at least until the come up is over. My first trip was in the woods, it was incredible, but I'd imagine that the beach would be just as cool!

Food: Vitamin Waters and Trail Mix.

Things to do when tripping: You'll realize that will depend on what kind of tripper you are, as well as the amount you took. Lower dosages; I would be able to go hang out with girls, go to the club, go on long nature walks or pretty much do anything publicly (and most of the time I wanted to). After I found my threshhold dosage, about 2-2.5 grams, I liked staying home by myself or with one other friend (it was the comfort zone).

General Advice: Create at least 4-6 hour music playlist (my preference while tripping; Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Steve Miller Band and some Progressive Trance). Music is very important to me, and probably most people while tripping on any substance. Luckily, I'm a DJ so mixing and organizing everything seems to come easy to me. However, I really don't see anyone having a problem making a nice assorted playlist of their favorite tunes. The best part of tripping for me, hands down, is the music. Once you hear the words these artists speak, in their true meaning, accompanied by beautiful melodies, bass, riffs, and sounds. It will actually change the way you listen to music; you'll truely feel it.

Good luck, have fun, be smart.

Last edited:
I know its impossible to prepare for a bad trip, but i think it wud be good for me, i think ill learn more from a bad trip than a good one. Im losing touch with reality and feeling pretty nihilistic. I think mushies might shed some light on that and show me my place.

I know its impossible to prepare for a bad trip, but i think it wud be good for me, i think ill learn more from a bad trip than a good one. Im losing touch with reality and feeling pretty nihilistic. I think mushies might shed some light on that and show me my place.

If that is really what your looking for, then go ahead take more than an eighth (over 3.5g). Ego-loss in most people usually occurs in dosages over 3.5g, and should definitely happen to a first time user. Ego-loss to someone who hasn't felt, or experienced it will indeed help the rebirth process, but by no means is something you should venture into without any practice. You will probably end up finding yourself repeating the words, "Make it stop, Make it stop!"

In all honesty though, and to be frank, you really don't know what you're saying. Nevertheless, they will put you in your place if this is what you seek.

To make that statement above, makes we question whether or not you should be experimenting with psychedelics yet. To think you would learn more from a bad trip, just sounds outlandish. Although, people may have learned great things from a bad trip, you will discover more insights with a really good one.

The best way to connect with "your reality," is definitely taking mushrooms, but please, don't underestimate the power of Psilocybin. Don't disrespect the fungi.

Last edited:
fuck the 'bad trip' propaganda, yeah, trips can be pretty difficult, but never bad. Ive found the difficult trips were the ones that taught me the most. "bad trips" are something the media came up with to scare people about psychs. Though ive been with people who have some really fucking hard trips. Dont let this worry you though. Start off low, 2.5 grams blew my mind the first time. Get somewhere outside, where you wont encounter other sober people. Music is great, dont plan too much, as when your tripping your mind wont be in nearly the same place as the the mind that planned all the 'fun' things to do. enjoy :)

well really its all about what you define a bad trip as, i know a lot of kids who do shrooms, that the second they get a feeling or a thought that isnt just pleasant or to quote them "trippy" they freak and call it a bad trip. For me, my idea of a bad trip is visuals of gory,terrible, hallucinations. Otherwise this is not the case, i know i dont mean that fully because ive never experienced a bad trip. And i've gotten out of the nihilistic rut, it comes and goes but the desire to shroom does not. It stays. I respect the mushroom ( at least i think i do) greatly. Psilocybin is something very very old and sacred that can be traced back to the dawn of man. I'm not losing touch with reality, i was just in a bad mood when i wrote that. Anyways, i guess im not seeking a bad trip, idk if i said it already but im a huge terence mckenna fan and anyone whos read up on mckenna will know what i wish to achieve with mushrooms

fuck the 'bad trip' propaganda, yeah, trips can be pretty difficult, but never bad.

I sort of agree with you, in a sense. It's like, yes, you can have what someone outside of your trip would look at and call a bad trip. However, inside the trip, it's not bad because it's just not comprehensible. What is definite, is when it's over, you do feel revitalized in some odd way. The next day, those outsiders may continually demonize your actions on that particular night, but you still feel like you were just reborn again. Which is enough in your mind, to convince you, that no it wasn't necessarily bad nor good, but rather instead, just neutral.

idk if i said it already but im a huge terence mckenna fan and anyone whos read up on mckenna will know what i wish to achieve with mushrooms

I know what you're looking for, but it will come, in do time. Just let it happen, don't try to find it. If you really want "that" type of experience, I can give you it by just following a few instructions:

This is what you will need:

Psilocybin mushrooms.
Vodka, Everclear, or some other High-Proof Alcohol
Orange Juice
Lemon
Lime
Double Shot Glass.
Coffee Grinder or Standard Cannabis Grinder (Coffee Grinder Preferred)

Grind up 1.5-2.5g of P. cubensis Mushrooms into a fine powder. I cant give you a specific choice, because that .5 or so, will really make a substantial difference and only you can leave it up to fate for that decision. If I was going to give you a recommendation, 2g.

Take the fine ground Mushroom powder and pour it inside of the Double Shot Glass (try to keep everything on the bottom).

Squeeze a full lemon into the Shot Glass.

Squeeze a full lime into the Shot Glass.

Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

Come back, and fill up the Shot Glass with your High Proof Alcohol.

Make sure you have a short music playlist created of your favorite songs, here are some songs I would choose from:

The Beatles - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Jimmy Hendrix - 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love

The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever (Remix 26 Take 25)

Jimmy Hendrix - Purple Haze

Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

Pink Floyd - Any Colour You Like

Pink Floyd - Brain Damage

Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick

The Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey

The Flaming Lips - Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell

Jimmy Hendrix - Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)

The Flaming Lips - In the Morning of the Magicians

The Doors - The End

Gorillaz - Starshine

Incubus - Aqueous Transmission

Steve Miller Band - Wild Mountain Honey

Slam the shot down completely, and chase it with the Orange Juice.

Then hit play on either your iPod, CD Player, Computer, Laptop, Music Device, etc.

This is what you should expect to happen:

10 minutes until you start feeling the effects. 30 minutes in and full blown level ++++ on the Shuglin Rating Scale. Thoughts coming on so fast that you will barely be able to keep up. The bad part is you will keep getting higher and higher. You will literally feel all the effects continuing to increase at an alarming rate, to the point will you will lose motor control of limbs and find yourself stuck, writhing on the floor in this unfathomable adventure you created for yourself. The thoughts eventually will be going so fast, that you will brake down and begin mumbling, "Help and Please Stop!" for what will turn out to be 3 hours. Then INCREDIBLY, within a 5 minute period, thoughts will return back to normal. You won't even be tripping at all, anymore, and you will find yourself in a tremendous amount of shock. Check the clock to find, that it probably isn't even 4 hours from when you drank it.

If you follow the directions above, exactly how they're written, expect to magnify the effects to literally a factor of ten. Though it seems extremely dangerous and should be done with caution!

Last edited:
so basically what that whole concoction is is the potentiation of psilocybin? anyways, I dont expect to find what im looking for at anypoint soon, this first trip i only wish for to be an initiation trip into the psychedelic world. I'm probably gonna take about 2.5 grams as im splitting them with someone else who wishes to dose lower. This seems like a reasonable dose as I dont feel im ready for the full experience just yet, I'd rather dip my feet in the water before I dive in.:D

so basically what that whole concoction is is the potentiation of psilocybin? anyways, I dont expect to find what im looking for at anypoint soon, this first trip i only wish for to be an initiation trip into the psychedelic world. I'm probably gonna take about 2.5 grams as im splitting them with someone else who wishes to dose lower. This seems like a reasonable dose as I dont feel im ready for the full experience just yet, I'd rather dip my feet in the water before I dive in.:D

In simple terms, yes, but as we all know, there's more to it than just that ;)

Sounds like you have developed quite an idea in your head, of what you exactly want. Which is great!

Good Luck

My personal recommendation is to take one gram. A series of low dose, 1.0-1.4 gram trips would be great for a beginner to familiarize himself with the psychedelic experience.

At that dose you can walk around and have no trouble being in public, and become comfortable and acquainted with the mushroom spirit.

Just my two cents. I don't think it's wise to dose higher than this your first few times; of course there are those who would disagree with me.

I need to know its more than chemical release. I dont want trippy visuals,euphoria, and a body high. I want a spiritual experience. Circumstances have changed and im having a metaphysical crisis. This always seems to pass but i should probly get my head checked out i think i might be bipolar

Hey man, I'm not sure if that's a response to my suggestion for a low dose... But my first trip was only 1.2 grams and it was very spiritual :)

If you're looking for a spiritual experience, a low dose (1-1.5 grams) might give you one, but then again it might not. Higher doses are surely more likely to produce a deep spiritual experience, but since it is your first time, I would still say go with a lower dose. You will always get a chance to dose higher next time if you're disappointed (and you should try not to be, think of your first time as just testing the waters, if you have a deep experience, that's even better, though most likely you will be underwhelmed). I know many psychedelics users advocate diving in head first, but personally I see nothing wrong with being cautious.

Good luck and have fun!

update: my trip buddy bailed on me so I am taking the full eigth. Should I take 1000 mg vitamin c with it? cud somenoe give me an estimate of what 3.5 g and 1 g vitamin c would be equal to in a regular dose i.e. 3.5 g psilocybin+1 g vitamin c=? g psilocybin

straycatphizzle said:
Should I take 1000 mg vitamin c with it?
Don't take a big dose of vitamin C if you are not accustomed to it. It could give you diarrhea. The notion that vitamin C enhances tripping is an urban legend.

the notion that vitamin c enhances tripping is an urban legend.

lol, you're kidding right?

Also, only 1000mg of Vitamin C giving you diarrhea? What is with all this mythography?

Last edited:
^LOL, it's not an "urban legend" but it is a legend.. It's an URBAN legend like some kind of centuries long known thing?

Anyways, amount- I agree Nibiru, 3 grams.
setting- Somewhere comfortable, secluded, and nature.
food- Why do you want food? But, grapes. Get grapes man.
things to do whilst tripping- Trip out.
general advice- Go with the flow of course, have fun and embrace it.