Career Advice Networking Is The Most Important Skill You Will Ever Learn + Getting Remote Work

Joey

Bluelighter
I’ve been through a pretty dramatic change in direction insofar as my employment. I went from someone who was primarily a factory worker as a CNC setup op / machinist to a professional writer and media guy in harm reduction and drug strategy. I have a job where I am on a team with a group mainly consisting of physicians, epidemiologists, researchers, etc where we are revising Canadian national treatment guidelines in alcohol withdrawal and continuing care. I am one of the few ’lived experience’ types - although I can hold my own on the more nuanced medical detail from years of experience dealing with drugs and alcohol, my experience at Bluelight, and being a careful study.

I did not get offered this job out of the blue, and it was not something which I found advertising open positions online. I’m holding a variety of positions right now, and operate as both self-employed and employed. I work both as a volunteer and paid staff - depending what gig we’re on. The volunteer work, although unpaid, is the most important currently to everything I do. It will be until Im making enough scratch with an impressive enough portfolio to not have to do it anymore. In terms of pure employment value - I have to network on these volunteer positions to gain new opportunities for paid work and to build the skills I’m working with.

I’m also freelancing as a professional writer, and the gigs I’m getting are slowly but surely appearing and becoming paid for. It’s all remote what I am doing. I’m not planning on working shift work in any “permanent” positions in the manufacturing and restaurant work I used to do too my late 20’s ever again. I make less right now, but my eggs are multudinous in their spread. They’re often hatching now,

I used to find far less opportunities in greater periods of time for remote work. I didn't start looking for it in any serious way until 2020. And I didnt ever get a position which was remote until January of 2021. This was a paid course in an employment program geared to youths 15-29. It paid 60 hours minimum wage over the 2 weeks it ran, and it offered 30 hours pay for any active volunteer work. I was a moderator on Bluelight at the time which is volunteer work, so I got a letter of reference from administration and I got my 30 hours all at once because I'd been doing it for a few months already. I might be the only moderator who actually got paid some hours here, by a Government of Canada program at that!

I kept volunteering my time at Bluelight until I eventually picked up the social media and communications manager position I held for some montha last year. At the same time, as I became more and more vested in the subjects of harm reduction and Canadian drug policy, I'd been applying all along to join drug strategy groups, drug policy groups, and I had been in communications with the people at my job in the alcohol withdrawal guidelines. I sold my volunteer work here at Bluelight hard, as it was on point and relevant to what they were looking for. I learned from hours of reading swaths of information about the current climate in drug policy and the direction Canada is headed. From the national level, all the way to my local municipal issues. When I contacted these people, I made sure I could blow their socks off with the knowledge Id gained on the political climate here, and I became more and more well read to knowing the medical and research end of things too. Years of experience, half my life using drugs and alcohol cemented this foundation.

Everything blew up all at once. There was a period last year I was beginning to get published and get jobs and business opportunities I couldn't have imagined were possible. It wasn't paying off too much monetarily, but the job satisfaction and feeling of being involved in something I truly cared for was predominant. I am still so proud of what I accomplished last year in 2021 - and it changed my life and career direction forever. I still don't make a lot of scratch, but I make some and the opportunities which are still blooming are enough to keep on track.

Ive suffered some serious bad blows to my employment big through my own actions and others who have wanted to fuck with me either professionally or personally, or both. I love my work and my work is my life now aside from some romantic aspirations in music and more computer science based hobbies like white hat hacking and IT skills. I'm a Linux geek Qubed. I like to write poetry, essays and articles in subjects outside of drugs, and I'm pretty good on a DAW or Digital Audio Workstation as a recording engineer aka I can record your bands demo and mix it well. I like talking to people and making friends.

This last part is culminating in my obtaining a peer support certification in October. Peer support will be only actual credential in my education across everything I am doing, I have a college certificate I'm CNC (computer numerical control) machine operation, and a GED. I don't feel hampered by this lack of BSc, master's, or Ph.D. whatsoever. My experience and research alone are solid enough to keep me employable alongside and overtop a lot of people with these qualifications. My skill set which I have built on the communications end to network (thank you Bluelight) as in talk to people easily is what got my foot in the door.

NETWORKING IS BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT SKILL YOU WILL EVER LEARN IN EMPLOYABILITY AND BUILDING THE SKILLS YOU NEED IN A NEW VOCATION BY GAINING WORK IN YOUR CHOSEN FIELD. VOLUNTEER WORK CAN SEEM MINDBOGGLINGLY INEFFICIENT FINANCIALLY TO VEST A TON OF TIME IN, BUT IT MORE THAN PAYS OFF. IT LITERALLY BUILDS CHARACTER WHEN IT MAKES YOU ONE WITH EXPERIENCE AND PROBABLY SEVERAL PEOPLE TO NETWORK WITH PER VOLUNTEER GIG,

To follow, I'll write some tips on networking, and the reasons you should start (or continue) building on your social and communications skills. It doesn't matter how you feel about people or the world or anything, a well-communicated issue that is then brought to a resolution makes us all feel better. Communications are basically solutions.

---------------------------------

;) H O W I T W O R K S :p
---------------------------------

Communicable solutions like this are ones that often bring new opportunities. They are noticed by others, and they certainly hone the ones you're already working on and sharpen your skills and self-esteem through the completion of a task or job. We are the most social species in the world and we truly do depend on each other for nurturance. It's a bit like an RPG. The more you work at something, the more natural it becomes. Consciously working to become naturally well off in important areas of your life (like your professional working life) has a way of boosting your morale. Life satisfaction despite any problem.

That's resilience. Resilience is incredibly important too, remember that. I can cite my personal life experience to assure this is very true. Be good to yourself and find people to talk to personally as well. Human contact and nurturance is incredibly important. Ever had a hand squeeze on your shoulder and it made your day?

Even if you're really down on stuff and think people = shit - take note. That slipknot need not be tied just yet! 🙈 this sort of nihilistic wisdom that comes along with realizing how corrupt some people and aspects of this world, humanity, and life itself. Like how the selfish needs our current human civiliations in energy are minutia next to the world we're carbonizing to a blackened reflection of our destructive tendencies? In disease and economic collapse we insulate our media and conspire to make short term comforts and gain prioritized over sustenance and especially for the evergrowing percentage if those in poverty. Almost 8 billion people live here when there was 5 1/2 upon my birth in 1991. Money is worth far less and housing is beyond expensive and everything else too.

Did you know that even Friedrich Neitzche wrote that meaning would be found in the end? I'm fairly happy, regardless of this fucked up world and an even more (to me) fucked up life where I have been taken advantage of and abused horribly. I've literally had my life taken in a stranglehold and been tortured at multiple points in my life. I'm invisible in these issues and still have so much trouble finding the right help. It's horrible, it's extremely difficult to talk about, but in that and in my life goals - I persist.

I tell people the best I can, and as honestly as possibly always about who I am and what Im trying to do. I care very much for the approval of, being good to, and taking it straight with others. And vice versa. The best times we will ever have are shared with others. We literally are the only animal with a true developed language and that's my backup to how much we can and should depend on each other for life satisfaction. I bet a well-placed opportunity set your way or for someone you love might cheer you up!

Now A basic TLDR version,
plus more points to list
PRACTICALLY

1. Beyond submitting a resume and CV, get in contact with HR, the recruiter, and whomever, and ask a question to spark a chat. Introduce yourself a bit on a personal level too but don't veer far from the subjects pertaining to the work you're looking to do.

2. Keep a portfolio or make one up. Anything is better than nothing, If you are creating a portfolio from a place of no experience, make the creation of your portfolio the experience, Put some effort into it and don't worry if you can't cite paid or published work. Anything is better than nothing, get creative.

3. Social media groups are very good places to network. When you're looking for a step up in your life look for people who are successful already.Make sure this is proven with citation. There are a lot of scams revolving around remote work. Not to mention a ton of people who have no job and no clue what they're talking about.

Continued from number 3... Even just for tips, introduce yourself to people who are way above your caliber. Meet many. Think about things a lot.Like everyone who is self-employed and remote, you are going to wind up developing your own ins and outs in your own style of employment and money management.

5. When you get a real offer, as in an actual contract either formal or informal from a real employer either paid or volunteer, you'll be able to tell the difference between a real and a fake scammy job like a paid article with an editorial team, and some cash out later survey filling cash tree falling in bills stacked yo your dreams (they’re 99% pretend jobs that stop paying a few dollars short of your minimum cash out trust me).

DO THE WORK!

You're going to fall into a circle of common people and employers likely in your particular niche and you do not want to develop a reputation for flaking off every time. Life happens, but when there's grass please cut it, the other side is irrelevant. Any grass is your life's work in networking coming to a paid or volunteer gig.

PROTIP: Volunteer is not just a good thing to do. It’s a resume builder and a half. And a half!

6. Avoid sites that are about surveys, proofreading, type scripting, data entry, etc. There are real jobs doing this, but this is also a network your way to a real and personal offer on the vast majority of gigs. The guys who are actually doing these gigs and actually earning a livable income are very secretive about how they came across their jobs - and what it is they actually do, for who? No one you’ll hear about from them.

It's normal to protect your assets and programs for success. If you don’t, you might lose them to copycat numbers 1, 2, and 3,000. When you’re in a position of help someday, be helpful and be 100% but don’t be in a way that signs over your strategy and employment to someone else. Do you see how I’m writing this article?

Even apps like Fiverr and your typical freelance apps are very tough eggs to crack unless you're already extremely proficient and professional in your chosen field. If you are, you probably aren't in need of this list,

if you're buying into a too good to be true seeming sales pitch or a freelancing app, the chances of actually excelling to succeed in those companies and positions are next to none. Your competition is in the millions of people from all over the world, including economies where people will work to insane levels of proficiency for mega hours and a few bucks an hour. It's not a healthy sector.

7. REFER YOURSELF TO YOUR LOCAL CLASSIFIEDS INSTEAD AND SELL YOURSELF HARD. THERE IS NO SHAME IN WRITING SOME GOOD SALES COPY. GOOD-SIZED EGOS ALONGSIDE CONFIDENCE ON PAPER AND IN PERSON ARE BOTH HEALTHY SKILLS AND BELIEFS TO HOLD ABOUT YOURSELF. GIVE YOURSELF A PAT ON THE BACK DUDE!

8. Do not be afraid to contact anyone. The worst answer you’ll get is no answer or no. Always be informal and respectful, to begin with.Do NOT go on any tracks to talk about how you can’t find anything, don’t know what you’re doing, nobody cares, any negativity or impulse to relay frustration you have looking for something and the state of your world, therefore, the fact you're asking for help at all says enough. Be positive.

9. MOOCs, courses of any kind, and work programs are great places to start. When you do these, make sure you spend some time talking to the instructors and professionals who are conducting the course for you. Expand on skills you’ve already got too. Even if you already python inside out, take a basic and intermediate course to reinstall the basics and especially to NETWORK.

10. if you’re in college or university. NETWORK, YOU ARE IN THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD TO NETWORK! Even if you aren’t enrolled in uni, check out Harvard and Yale and places like that and contact people on staff or whomever you can get an email on and ask questions.

11. Government websites are full of good contacts as well. From your municipality and all 5e way to your federal sites. For instance, the Canada.ca federal site has something like 2000 researchers who all have their emails and phone numbers up. The pentagon in the US has contact information for its staff. Feel free to contact these guys, they’re emails are up for a reason. Sometimes you may get a response that will teach you something brand new or change your life.

12. Your friends, family, acquaintances, enemies, whomever, They’re all resources for you to guide your life by. And if you just ask the right way (appeal to their edge over you on an issue) they may very well be glad to share their wealth of knowledge with you, Most people are pretty happy to think they’ve got some good information to share and show off their skills by. People normally love themselves and each other.

13.Even if you aren’t particularly confident in your abilities, portfolio, or skillset - be confident in what you do have. If your skills are limited. Keep a limited account of them and then add ambition with some citable and true actions you’re taking to remedy this. Our visions looking forward are almost more important than being pro. If you’re certain in your ways, you’ll get things done. You’ll inspire people to like you with this attitude and they may give you a chance.

14. Study others. This can be through reading up on their stories and published advice (like what I’m doing here) or by watching videos and documentaries with the same purpose. Make sure the people you’re watching are actually the ones who are successful in what you want to accomplish. The rest can be an example of what at the very least seems fishy and in some cases are obvious scams to watch for. Developing a keen eye for the absurd and scammer is a good skill to have as well.

15. be focused. If you are working on a skill. Work on that one skill and not ten at a time, one really good skill is going to get you places. You can learn skill 2 and 3 on a different schedule. For instance, place 3 hours to python, 3 hours to HTML CSS JS, and 2 more hours to seek programs to help subsidize your journey and seek people to study, network with, and share your progress!

-FIN

Last edited:
Completely agree. I personally would consider sales as the most crucial skill for anyone to learn, which ties into networking. Whether you're running your own business or applying for a job, having sales as a skill (in bold because it can be learnt) is essential for everybody.

Great post @Joey will have this in the sticky for sure.

8. Do not be afraid to contact anyone. The worst answer you’ll get is no answer or no. Always be informal and respectful, to begin with.Do NOT go on any tracks to talk about how you can’t find anything, don’t know what you’re doing, nobody cares, any negativity or impulse to relay frustration you have looking for something and the state of your world, therefore, the fact you're asking for help at all says enough. Be positive.

Re-read this Joey and I think this point right here is so fucking spot on. Focus, fall forward and get used to failing and rejections being a GOOD thing. They will benefit you so much more in the future.

What field are you working in at the moment mate?

Re-read this Joey and I think this point right here is so fucking spot on. Focus, fall forward and get used to failing and rejections being a GOOD thing. They will benefit you so much more in the future.

What field are you working in at the moment mate?
I freelance as a journalist and I have a couple board / committee positions. I have one gig as a steady writer coming up and my main paid position is as on British Columbia Centre For Substance Use on their alcohol use disorder team working on team in the revision of national treatment guidelines im alcohol wihdrawal and I’m continuing care.

Basicslly harm reduction and drug policy is my chosen field. I used to be in CNC machining. It was way better money. I’m happier this way.

I have a business that’s sitting flat right now in fentanyl test strips as well and Im hoping to get that rolling soon.