• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Nobody has freewill.

However, we don't EXACTLY have total free will. For example: gut bacteria. Different types thrive on different types of food [I'm explaining this super-simplified, it's really interesting if you wanna look more into it]. So say you have a "sweet tooth" [this applies to all food types, I'm just using sugar as a simple example] and eat a lot of sugar/simple carbohydrates. The type of bacteria (micro-organisms, I think, actually...probably should have brushed up on this before writing but ah well, phuckit] that thrive on sugar will exponentially multiple in your guts, while levels of those that thrive on other foods, or not so well on sugar will decrease. Without us being aware of it, these micro-organisms signal our brain to tell us we want to eat MORE of that type of food they're thriving on. You you eat more [in this case] sugar. So those micro-organisms continue to thrive and multiple. Which causes stronger signals to your brain to focus on eating that type of food.
So while we THINK we're eating what our body wants, we're often actually eating what those micro-orgasms want.
Without even being aware of it.
So ARE we really chosing?

It's only a "cop out" because people want to judge those who do wrong. It makes us feel better if people do what they do for a reason. They are monsters. They are bad people. They are evil.

There is no science behind this. It is a convenience. It is a preference. We want to split humanity neatly into good and bad. We don't do this with sharks or chickens. They just are.

People who are destined to succeed are lucky. Those who are destined to do terrible things are cursed. Not cursed by fate but cursed by this archaic moral structure that we force upon ourselves.

we don't EXACTLY have total free will

So what fraction / percent of free will do we have?

It seems to me, we are either free to do as we please or we aren't. I don't think free will is the right term. Mildly flexible will perhaps?

@ChemicallyEnhanced

Nobody has free will. People say it exists because they can't stand the thought of them not being in control of their self. They have no more control than that of a rock, tree, bird or insect. Everything ever done had to be done. Nothing else could've happened. Nobody could've done anything other than what they did.
Yet you had enough to make this thread.

I have always liked this quote from Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle on the subject:

“This is one of the two great labyrinths into which human minds are drawn: the question of free will versus predestination. You were raised to believe in the latter. You have rejected it—which must have been a great spiritual struggle—and become a thinker. You have adopted a modern, mechanical philosophy. But that very philosophy now seems to be leading you back towards predestination. It is most difficult.”

I have always liked this quote from Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle on the subject:
If you’re sitting in the woods all day waiting for something to happen it eventually will.

I helped build this site, literally. I was here in 1999.

You can keep it. I don’t need your trash harassing me IRL, with your meth dealers and gangs.

If you’re sitting in the woods all day waiting for something to happen it eventually will.

I helped build this site, literally. I was here in 1999.

You can keep it. I don’t need your trash harassing me IRL, with your meth dealers and gangs.

Excuse me?

What game?
I am amputating your community from my life. I was never a part of it. I was involved to help people get out of that life.

This community due to the CI’s and 12 are directly effecting my real life.

The CI’s are telling me to get a gun and get to killing

Nobody has free will. People say it exists because they can't stand the thought of them not being in control of their self. They have no more control than that of a rock, tree, bird or insect. Everything ever done had to be done. Nothing else could've happened. Nobody could've done anything other than what they did.
Are you referring to lack of freewill in a deterministic sense? If so I couldn't agree with you more. I firmly believe that every one of our actions is a direct consequence of other previously determined events, and that you could theoretically predict the rest of eternity flawlessly if you had the knowledge of every event that previously occurred. Although this would require a seemingly infinite knowledge of literally everything down to sub-atomic particles. Although I don't understand how people disagree with this logic I can understand why some people would want to avoid it, it can be very tedious to get caught up with the idea that everything you do is predetermined and in a way meaningless.

I am amputating your community from my life. I was never a part of it. I was involved to help people get out of that life.

This community due to the CI’s and 12 are directly effecting my real life.
Are you okay right now?

There're lots of people here, who have been through a lot, and are willing to listen and talk with to you