View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Non Visual Trippers

FredF

Bluelighter
It seems I fit into this category. Curious of the percentage of people who experience minimal visuals while tripping.

Unless I eat over 4.5 grams of cubensis, I really don’t get visuals, aside from things “breathing” a bit. Even at doses higher than 4.5 (I’ve only dosed that higer twice so far), I only get them in complete darkness, and only for about 3-5 minutes.

What I’ve seen in those brief instances certainly is beautiful, and I’d love to experience more, but it’s a small part of the overall experience to me, so no biggie.

But I’m curious to hear from others on how the visuals effect them, and at what doses, for how long etc.

Thanks for any input

Ok so you don't get visuals even with your eyes closed in a dark room?
It's so difficult for me to imagine tripping without visuals because that's one of the strongest effects for me, and probably the second thing I notice when coming up, right after a slight increase in heartbeat.
Have you tried looking at on white tiles or a white sheet of paper?
I've tripped with people that had difficulty getting visuals and what worked was to have a white a4 sized piece of paper 1 to 2 feet away from the face but instead of focusing on it, I told the guys to look like they are looking at something really far.

It seems I fit into this category. Curious of the percentage of people who experience minimal visuals while tripping.

Unless I eat over 4.5 grams of cubensis, I really don’t get visuals, aside from things “breathing” a bit. Even at doses higher than 4.5 (I’ve only dosed that higer twice so far), I only get them in complete darkness, and only for about 3-5 minutes.

What I’ve seen in those brief instances certainly is beautiful, and I’d love to experience more, but it’s a small part of the overall experience to me, so no biggie.

But I’m curious to hear from others on how the visuals effect them, and at what doses, for how long etc.

Thanks for any input
Shrooms specifically are not very visual compared to other psychedelics. I don't get much visuals from them below 5g either. I assume we are referring to fractals and generated imagery. Shrooms often give me colors, light and distortion. My favorite thing about shrooms is music enhancement.

With a big enough dose I have had amazing complex open eyes visuals from mushrooms. (10g-16g)

I find LSD very visual after about 100ug, especially compared to shrooms.

Are we specifically talking about mushrooms here?

Cannabis, harmala alkaloids and a few other drugs can bring out more visuals but I would only try this if you have some experience and are very comfortable tripping and adding more on top.

Ultimately everyone has different brain chemistry. It's not uncommon for some people to be "resistant" to certain drug effects.

Last edited:

Thanks for any input
It's probably quite personal, shrooms were never too visual for me either, but corresponding or even lower doses of psilacetin are extremely visual. Chances are other psychedelics are much more visual for you.
I don't care too much overall either way.

My partner gets minimal visuals from psychedelics. At 30mg of 4-aco-dmt, she couldn't commit to whether she could see any visual distortion. She did have some visuals on a previous LSD trip, but even then it was somewhat minimal.

For myself, even minidoses produce noticeable visual changes (increased color saturation, etc), and a regular dose of anything I've tried (including mushrooms) produces strong geometric distortions of one sort or another (not to mention making everything look ridiculously beautiful)...

Ok so you don't get visuals even with your eyes closed in a dark room?
It's so difficult for me to imagine tripping without visuals because that's one of the strongest effects for me, and probably the second thing I notice when coming up, right after a slight increase in heartbeat.
Have you tried looking at on white tiles or a white sheet of paper?
I've tripped with people that had difficulty getting visuals and what worked was to have a white a4 sized piece of paper 1 to 2 feet away from the face but instead of focusing on it, I told the guys to look like they are looking at something really far.
On doses of 4.5, I get them, but only on complete darkness, and only for about 3-5 mins. I will try the paper trick.

Shrooms specifically are not very visual compared to other psychedelics. I don't get much visuals from them below 5g either. I assume we are referring to fractals and generated imagery. Shrooms often give me colors, light and distortion. My favorite thing about shrooms is music enhancement.

With a big enough dose I have had amazing complex open eyes visuals from mushrooms. (10g-16g)

I find LSD very visual after about 100ug, especially compared to shrooms.

Are we specifically talking about mushrooms here?

Cannabis, harmala alkaloids and a few other drugs can bring out more visuals but I would only try this if you have some experience and are very comfortable tripping and adding more on top.

Ultimately everyone has different brain chemistry. It's not uncommon for some people to be "resistant" to certain drug effects.
I’ve been increasing dosage by .5 every trip or two, so I’m sure eventually they’ll be unavoidable, but just wondering if it’s normal for mist people to need that much for visuals. I hear some people claim they get crazy visuals off a gram ir two.

LSD, I’ve only taken 200ug, from a wonderful source up in Canada, but it’s the same. Minimal visuals, at least compared to what most people report at the same dose.

It's probably quite personal, shrooms were never too visual for me either, but corresponding or even lower doses of psilacetin are extremely visual. Chances are other psychedelics are much more visual for you.
I don't care too much overall either way.
Ya, it’s only small part of the experience for me, but still pretty cool. I’d like to experience them a bit more.

My partner gets minimal visuals from psychedelics. At 30mg of 4-aco-dmt, she couldn't commit to whether she could see any visual distortion. She did have some visuals on a previous LSD trip, but even then it was somewhat minimal.

For myself, even minidoses produce noticeable visual changes (increased color saturation, etc), and a regular dose of anything I've tried (including mushrooms) produces strong geometric distortions of one sort or another (not to mention making everything look ridiculously beautiful)...
Wow, she’s more unlucky than me. Shrooms and LSD are one thing, I get crazy visuals from DMT.

It's a funny thing, if you are watching something, then you are in vision.
if you are involved in listening for something with your eyes defocused then you are in audition.
if you are tasting or smelling something sublime you are in olfaction and taste
if your skin is being massaged you are in tactile and proprioception.
if you are working out the space with your eyes closed you are in space-modelling
if you are remembering or imagining you are in mind space.

(the truth is we are always in mind space but having the sense gates open keeps us grounded.)

if you are aware of transitions you can be between vision and or audition and or olfaction and or space-modelling etc.
this is akin to synaesthesia, and combinations are 100% normal. Combinations are the basis of memory formation and perception.
I am often involved in space-modelling and vision and audition and proprioception, while remembering at the same time, and I will say that the visuals make sense and emerge even without any psychedelic but are stronger with psychedelics.

Ketamine surely is on that list of substances that enhance visuals.
Like you said, it's ok to combine some drugs with psychedelics, but only once one has some experience in handling the effects of each drug taken on its own.

I had a roommate like this. He told me how in the late 1960s or very early 1970s when he was in college he and a small group of his friends all took LSD. He did not see any visuals or have a real trip or psychedelic experience like everyone else did, and said it was more mental and physically stimulating. It was not fake acid, or super low dose LSD. He tried it again taking two or three doses of LSD and it was the same, no visuals, and no trip. He just stuck to smoking Hawaiian marijuana, and he took Ayahuasca once decades later in a low dose in a ceremony, and said he became telepathic with the other people who had also taken the yagé or Ayshyasca but again no visuals.

I've heard about at least a few people who cannot get high off various drugs not only psychedelics.

They must metabolize the drugs in a unique way and/or have different receptor sites.

I've heard about at least a few people who cannot get high off various drugs not only psychedelics.

They must metabolize the drugs in a unique way and/or have different receptor sites.
Yeah I do not understand it? My roommate/friend said he is an artist/painter, so it was ironic how he said he had no visuals from LSD. I don't think he ever ate Psilocybin mushrooms. He told me that I was obsessed with drugs, getting high, etc. but I had just then recently gotten sober so I think that is not uncommon?

I've tried quite a few psychedelics and never got any visual distortion, but never pushed the dose beyond average as they can have side effects. I have had visual distortions on salvia and DCK & MXiPR (dissociatives) can be very visual with eyes closed and holing.

I'm a pretty non-visual tripper but it's hard to tell if it's just because of where my attention is and isn't, and what's the background visuals experience that I may or may not be paying attention to. When you start getting into it, it's damn near impossible to figure out what other people experience, or even to articulate what you yourself are experiencing. You can't be objective about subjectivity. But all that paradox aside, it seems like I have less visual effects than most people, and much more auditory. Or at least I focus a lot more on sound and thought than on the visual experience.

That being said, I have had some extremely vivid 3D+ morphing geometric fractal visuals on ETH-LAD, mushrooms, 4-AcO-MET.

LSD is not very visual at all for me, aside from some colour saturation, and high-def vision. I don't think I've ever had overt visuals from LSD, and I've taken some decent doses.

I didn't get much visuals when in my 20s taking mushrooms in low to medium doses, but when returning to psychedelics some 20 years later and specifically to phenethylamines, I got a lot more visuals. I also think smoking DMT opened me up to getting much more visuals from other substances.

Could you elaborate on these complex visuals? I find myself confused about the terminology, and what people actually experience with psychedelics.

To clarify, I’ve experienced what I believe are hallucinations from some dissociative drugs, whereas I believe typical psychedelics give visuals that are very different from actual hallucinations.

So my question is, are these complex visuals closer to hallucinations, or are they still visuals, as in you can still make out what is real and what is not? It’s sometimes hard to make out what people are saying they experience with high doses. I guess that’s obvious though.

Could you elaborate on these complex visuals? I find myself confused about the terminology, and what people actually experience with psychedelics.

To clarify, I’ve experienced what I believe are hallucinations from some dissociative drugs, whereas I believe typical psychedelics give visuals that are very different from actual hallucinations.

So my question is, are these complex visuals closer to hallucinations, or are they still visuals, as in you can still make out what is real and what is not? It’s sometimes hard to make out what people are saying they experience with high doses. I guess that’s obvious though.

Once in Amsterdam I took 10g+ of mushrooms.

I remember peaking while I was attempting to roll a joint in a coffee shop. The half rolled joint suddenly sprouted wings and started flapping in my hand. It became alive and flew away into the air like a butterfly, straight out of my hands. It was literally flying in the air, majestic. I was absolutely flabbergasted by the sight of my half rolled joint flying in the air like a butterfly. It was so incredibly real and was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced, on mushrooms at least.

This is what I mean by 'complex open eyed visual hallucinations', aka a true hallucination. While I knew that a flying joint was impossible, it seemed incredibly real at the time, it wasn't a full on delusional hallucination, but about as close as you can get to that while remaining in a "safe zone" of use.

Delusional hallucinations are when you cannot tell the difference between the hallucinations and real life. These are bad, scary ones and should be avoided. This is how people end up in the looney bin.

Last edited:
I got into psychedelics a few months ago to go inside a bit for spiritual and self improvement. I tried 3.2g of mushrooms over the course of 4 hours with no effect. A month later I tried 4g with absolutely no effect.. I decided try lsd to see if it was an issue with psychedelics on a whole.
I did 200ug tab and got mild effects… walls slightly warped, slight color movement, face melting and moving in the mirror. But it was more mental as it had some interesting introspective thoughts..

I tried it on 3 other occasions with the same effect.

The last occasion though. I smoke a gram or so of weed 4 hours in because I always feel like the effects start to go away after 5 hours... 20 mins after that I experienced a bad time as my thoughts went crazy and I started to panic and I realized I was having a bad trip so I surrendered and the experience turned into a positive one “I think, though, I could not remember much of the experience But it was all mental.. No visuals.