• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Non Visual Trippers

I had a roommate like this. He told me how in the late 1960s or very early 1970s when he was in college he and a small group of his friends all took LSD. He did not see any visuals or have a real trip or psychedelic experience like everyone else did, and said it was more mental and physically stimulating. It was not fake acid, or super low dose LSD. He tried it again taking two or three doses of LSD and it was the same, no visuals, and no trip. He just stuck to smoking Hawaiian marijuana, and he took Ayahuasca once decades later in a low dose in a ceremony, and said he became telepathic with the other people who had also taken the yagé or Ayshyasca but again no visuals.

I couldn't trip from LSD for many years, which was weird because all other psychedelics I could trip hard from at normal doses. In fact my first ever trip was with just 1.75 grams of mushrooms and it was a peak, +4, life-changing experience. But with LSD, I tied many times, took 2-3 times as much as my friends of the same stuff, and I never got more than threshold effects. I even took 3 of the famed Hofmann anniversary blotters, almost nothing. Then finally, 10 years into my tripping "career" (actually no, 13 years into it), I took 5 hits of strong acid at a festival, and finally broke through to an actual trip. After that, I noticed my tolerance to LSD started going steadily down, until these days I can get a nice trip and visuals off of a half of an average hit. Very strange progression, no idea how it could even be that someone could be perfectly able to trip on every other type of psychedelic but not LSD.

But the OP isn't talking about not being able to trip, just that they don't get much in the way of visuals. Some people just aren't very visual trippers, I think. I have never had the level of visuals that many people describe, and visuals have never been a very important part of the experience, for me (though they're really cool). Except for a few drugs, like DMT of course, that's overwhelmingly visual. And some RCs are highly visual for me. But neither LSD nor mushrooms have ever been super visual for me.

I wonder if those of you who are non-visual trippers are also those who would also fall into the hard head trippers category as the few of my friends who don't get crazy visuals can happily dose up to 300ug (ds3 0) comfortably where as I get noticiable visuals from like 50ug up and dosing 165ug has me tripping hard with no tolerance 😅

am on the non visual tripper side
the only chemical who can give me 100% chance visuals is smoked DMT
almost never got visuals from lysergamides
never got visuals from 2CE, 2CP, etc
i didn't understand why, so on time I did the "dont" thing : snorting a decent line of 2CE
i did like a black out i cant compare to anything else, but didn't got visuals
and sure you can travel across the univers with dissos or yoppo or salvia without getting any "visuals"
in the DMT sense (seeing things with your eyes)

I have this idea, it's not exclusive obviously and may apply to certain hallucinogens more than others.

Most of my experience is with LSD there.

That the visuals and overtime commonly reported diminishing, may be layers of perception filters deconstructing until finally those fences don't bother re-erecting themselves.

But closed eye visuals, visionary state especially on high doses in a timeless space less fully unaware of the self and 3D surroundings, the magical place I call "Microgramless Land" lol. Is where it's all at for me.

In that state you still see the mentallest full on flowing kaleidoscopic visuals just not like the wavy wall as such.

It seems I fit into this category. Curious of the percentage of people who experience minimal visuals while tripping.

Unless I eat over 4.5 grams of cubensis, I really don’t get visuals, aside from things “breathing” a bit. Even at doses higher than 4.5 (I’ve only dosed that higer twice so far), I only get them in complete darkness, and only for about 3-5 minutes.

What I’ve seen in those brief instances certainly is beautiful, and I’d love to experience more, but it’s a small part of the overall experience to me, so no biggie.

But I’m curious to hear from others on how the visuals effect them, and at what doses, for how long etc.

Thanks for any input
I def don't get the visuals I want. I have gotten some good ones on halo cubensis and another strain I don't remember the name of. I usually do them recreationally so it matters to me- they're my favorite part of the trip. Like I said, on some strains of mushrooms I get better visuals. The most I've gotten was on an 8th from a chocolate bar and second to that was just around a gram of halo cubensis

Shrooms specifically are not very visual compared to other psychedelics. I don't get much visuals from them below 5g either. I assume we are referring to fractals and generated imagery. Shrooms often give me colors, light and distortion. My favorite thing about shrooms is music enhancement.

With a big enough dose I have had amazing complex open eyes visuals from mushrooms. (10g-16g)

I find LSD very visual after about 100ug, especially compared to shrooms.

Are we specifically talking about mushrooms here?

Cannabis, harmala alkaloids and a few other drugs can bring out more visuals but I would only try this if you have some experience and are very comfortable tripping and adding more on top.

Ultimately everyone has different brain chemistry. It's not uncommon for some people to be "resistant" to certain drug effects.

I actually found shrooms way more visual then acid ever could be. Even on 10 hits of acid i didnt get nearly the visuals i got from high dose shrooms

I wonder if psychiatric medications are part of this. The only person I know that doesn't get visuals or atleast not easily, has an extensive history of being out on drugs for episodes throughout their life. Now when I was guiding them through shroom trips it barely affected them despite not having been on those pschye drugs at the time.

I wonder if there are permanent dulling effects of being on anti psychotic meds and so on?

I have a friend who drinks 2 litres of white wine each nite and has no effect from weed or very high doses of salvia,

no idea what is happening.

I wonder if psychiatric medications are part of this. The only person I know that doesn't get visuals or atleast not easily, has an extensive history of being out on drugs for episodes throughout their life. Now when I was guiding them through shroom trips it barely affected them despite not having been on those pschye drugs at the time.

I wonder if there are permanent dulling effects of being on anti psychotic meds and so on?
Definitely possible. I've been on SNRI antidepressants for most of my adult life and don't get any colors or detailed visuals anymore from dissociatives or psychedelics while I remember a very colorful DXM trip right before I was put on the first antidepressant. These psychiatric drugs aren't as benign as docs like to sell them to people by far. Tardive dyskinesia or post-SSRI sexual dysfunction etc. are just a few of possible outcomes.

Only drug which gave me visuals despite the venlafaxine was LSD (in form of 1cP-LSD), it took 2-3 hours of onset but then provided me with the most beautiful, detailed visuals I've ever had but with shrooms I got nothing more than a scattered mind and dissociatives like ketamine are just black/gray and not very detailed.

I don't get many visuals with psychedelics other than DMT, which when I vape it I get very powerful visuals like many others have reported.

This doesn't seem to depend on the frequency of use, I went years tripping only a few times a year or even just once a year. A couple months ago I took 3 tabs of good acid and the popcorn ceiling was making a little bit of geometry but thats it. Every atom of existance did look immaculately beautiful on that dose, but only as if I was seeing it in perfect crystal clarity. Yesterday I took 30mg of 2C-B and there were only very minor visual changes, no designs or anything.

A few years ago I took some ten year old acid I had laying around, I think 2 tabs, and out of nowhere I had one of the most visual trips of my life. It was like my mind had tuned to the visual radio station and there was a constant flow of open eyed visuals of things turning into other things into other things, wild amazing things I couldn't believe it.

4-aco-met is also known to be highly visual, and it is for me too, but I mostly just see the world as incredibly amazingly beautiful and very very bright. With closed eyes i've had some visuals that were almost like low dose dmt visuals.

An interesting note is that I have done many week long meditation retreats, and in the beginning I would have very realistic open eyed hallucinations - images appearing in the floor, the carpet, and even seeing people turned into realistic looking demons and things. The advice about that was always to ignore it and it will go away, and thats what happened, I no longer see visuals while meditating. I wonder if that made the psychedelic visuals go away as well.

I don't get many visuals with psychedelics other than DMT, which when I vape it I get very powerful visuals like many others have reported.

This doesn't seem to depend on the frequency of use, I went years tripping only a few times a year or even just once a year. A couple months ago I took 3 tabs of good acid and the popcorn ceiling was making a little bit of geometry but thats it. Every atom of existance did look immaculately beautiful on that dose, but only as if I was seeing it in perfect crystal clarity. Yesterday I took 30mg of 2C-B and there were only very minor visual changes, no designs or anything.

A few years ago I took some ten year old acid I had laying around, I think 2 tabs, and out of nowhere I had one of the most visual trips of my life. It was like my mind had tuned to the visual radio station and there was a constant flow of open eyed visuals of things turning into other things into other things, wild amazing things I couldn't believe it.

4-aco-met is also known to be highly visual, and it is for me too, but I mostly just see the world as incredibly amazingly beautiful and very very bright. With closed eyes i've had some visuals that were almost like low dose dmt visuals.

An interesting note is that I have done many week long meditation retreats, and in the beginning I would have very realistic open eyed hallucinations - images appearing in the floor, the carpet, and even seeing people turned into realistic looking demons and things. The advice about that was always to ignore it and it will go away, and thats what happened, I no longer see visuals while meditating. I wonder if that made the psychedelic visuals go away as well.

Ya know, I used to get very intense visuals on shrooms but these days it just makes everything look, as you say, very beautiful. Unless I take a large dose.

I wonder if the 'everything looks beautiful' is just our mind of coping with otherwise very confusing visions. As before decent experience tripping I never got the 'everything is so beautiful' trips.

I think I've always had the everything is beuatiful thing, and i get the same thing from meditating or even just letting my mind drop into the present moment, although not as intense as on a higher dose of a psychedelic

I am very much an auditory tripper. I hear music, voices (good ones, usually, thank goodness!) children laughing/playing, birds (in the dead of night... hmmm) gurgling streams, wind, the AUM of the universe, etc.
And most of my trips are somatic and insight-based. The visuals are definitely an afterthought, though usually pleasant.

I wonder if the 'everything looks beautiful' is just our mind of coping with otherwise very confusing visions. As before decent experience tripping I never got the 'everything is so beautiful' trips.
I got this effect even without visuals on dissociatives and to some extent on aMT. I do think that dissociatives by some way activate similar circuits like psychedelics. Maybe it's just how beautiful the world is in reality and our image of it gets tainted by getting used to it & all the negative thinking?

Got some auditory hallucinations from sleep deprivation, morphine and DXM, both the kind & nice, and the evil ones. The evils were telling me to kill myself, that eternal hell would await me etc. while the nice ones, well I mostly forgot what they were telling me, more mundane stuff. Once in the afterglow of an obscure research dissociative did I hear complex melodies but was too tired to do anything with them - it was an awesome demonstration of what the mind is capable of though. Getting access to that & I could produce music. My first voice was from DXM+DPH, it just told me to relax and not having fear of whatever might come, at first I thought these were lyrics from the music I was listening to but tried to find it and realized that the songs were purely instrumental, no voices. Never got any auditory hallucinations from psychedelics.

One average tab of LSD gave me no visuals. Heroic dose of shrooms did give visuals.
For what it's worth, I once grew my own P. cubensis and OD'd on them because I under-estimated their potency. Must have been at least 7 grams. I was on paroxetine back then and got NO visuals at all, just a headache and horrible time dilation together with scattered mind and the fear of having fried myself for an eternity. Fast forward many years and 200mcg 1cP-LSD were able to give me visuals though but it took a few hours for doing that (was on venlafaxine). Now I'm off these toxic psychiatric drugs but cut off access to decent drugs :(

Last edited:
The first time I did shrooms I ate half an eighth and I had a full blown visual trip, I was seeing colors, patterns, shapes, shadows and everything I thought about I could see vividly in my minds eye, I even astral projected to where it was I was thinking about. Now 12 years later I got my hands on shrooms again and they were golden teachers and they gave me a very intense body high but the visuals was on the weaker side, the most I got was enhanced colors, everything became bright and beautiful, and my visual acuity became much more sharp. I had some closed eye visuals. But for me the trip was much more body intense and emotional

Once in Amsterdam I took 10g+ of mushrooms.

I remember peaking while I was attempting to roll a joint in a coffee shop. The half rolled joint suddenly sprouted wings and started flapping in my hand. It became alive and flew away into the air like a butterfly, straight out of my hands. It was literally flying in the air, majestic. I was absolutely flabbergasted by the sight of my half rolled joint flying in the air like a butterfly. It was so incredibly real and was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced, on mushrooms at least.

This is what I mean by 'complex open eyed visual hallucinations', aka a true hallucination. While I knew that a flying joint was impossible, it seemed incredibly real at the time, it wasn't a full on delusional hallucination, but about as close as you can get to that while remaining in a "safe zone" of use.

Delusional hallucinations are when you cannot tell the difference between the hallucinations and real life. These are bad, scary ones and should be avoided. This is how people end up in the looney bin.
I had a delusional hallucination on 7 grams of shrooms, while I was tripping there was a man sitting in his car outside my house and I swore he was looking at me with binoculars and I became delusional thinking he was an undercover cop coming to arrest me, it's like I telepathically had him telling me to bring him the rest of the shrooms I had. It seemed so real and when I went outside it was two teenagers sitting in the car. I think the reason this happened is because I had a run in with narcotics agents about two days prior while I was on a crack binge. So I probably wasn't in the best frame of mind to be eating a quarter ounce of shrooms

I had a delusional hallucination on 7 grams of shrooms, while I was tripping there was a man sitting in his car outside my house and I swore he was looking at me with binoculars and I became delusional thinking he was an undercover cop coming to arrest me, it's like I telepathically had him telling me to bring him the rest of the shrooms I had. It seemed so real and when I went outside it was two teenagers sitting in the car. I think the reason this happened is because I had a run in with narcotics agents about two days prior while I was on a crack binge. So I probably wasn't in the best frame of mind to be eating a quarter ounce of shrooms
I know that sounds unusual for a shroom trip and it was really weird, I mean shit for all I know maybe the guy was really looking at me with binoculars lol

I feel like shrooms give much more of a body high than a visual high, not saying you don't get visuals, but for me the body aspect of the trip is very intense

I probably fall into this category even though I do get (sometimes) visuals. It is also not dose-dependent (although I tend to dose low, usually less than 100-150ug of acid and under 2.5g of shrooms). I can reliably get CEVs on any psychedelic but OEVs very rarely.

LSD - I usually don't get any OEVs at all. Even at 150ug. That's not to say I don't get any visual alterations at all, I do - some colors are brighter, my vision is somewhat sharper. But breathing, melting, morphing, that kind of stuff occurs very rarely. It also seems to be unrelated to dose - sometimes it happens on 75ug, other times it doesn't happen at all on higher doses and it has nothing to do with tolerance as I always wait more than 2 weeks between psychedelic trips. LSD visuals (when they occur) are almost always related to things breathing but it's very unreliable. Sometimes I get them hours into the trip, in the comedown phase with zero visuals during the peak.

Shrooms - they are a little bit more visual for me than acid. I get this weird "find non-existing patterns" thing sometimes (but very rarely with acid). The morphing/melting/texture sliding stuff occurs somewhat more often too, but is again completely unreliable. E.g I could have a walk in a park with zero visuals the whole time until I look at a particular tree which out of nowhere has its tree bark flowing like some kind of a slow waterfall.

The few times I tried DMT and high doses of 2C-B, I got rather strong OEVs though. The DMT experience in particular was insanely visual.

For me anyway, visuals are not all an important part of the experience.