• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioid tolerance: how fast does it develop?

zorn

Bluelighter
So I've seen this question asked on BL before and never seen a straight answer. I understand that individuals vary a lot, but I'd like to get a good feeling for what the range is. Please share your experiences with tolerance development. Be quantitative if you can! How frequently used, snorted/shot/eaten, time period, how much tolerance went up.
In particular I want to find out: how much faster does shooting boost tolerance than snorting? What's the "steady-state" level of use, where tolerance doesn't go up at all? How much better is it to spread out one's use than to use in spurts?
I know some of you have a ton of experience with this... please chip in!
-Zorn

Here's my personal experience:
I've been shooting heroin -- enough to put me into a nod -- nearly exactly once a month for almost a year now. No noticeable tolerance at all from this. Also, for portions of this period, and before, I've taken lesser opioids -- mainly codeine 300 mg -- up to twice weekly, for a month or so at a time. No tolerance there, either.
I've gone on one heroin binge, where I shot daily for about five or six days. I believe I had a little tolerance at the end there -- 1.5 of my bags IV seemed to do less than 1 bag IV normally would, though I was still high as a kite. Could been variations in the product tho -- my tolerance then was something less than 2x normal.

What's the "steady-state" level of use, where tolerance doesn't go up at all?
I do remember reading a study done in one of the european countries that has heroin clinics where addicts go to shoot up and I think even the heroin is provided (swizterland, great britain, united kingdom?) They monitored the amounts each person used on a daily basis over a period of months to years and computed an average daily amount. The results were that even the heaviest users topped out around ~450mg of heroin (pure heroin). I guess you could call that steady-state but you better have a damn steady income to go with it.

here's my take (for what its worth)
Codeine:
- 80mg mornings
- 160mg - 200mg evenings
This is daily. I have been on this routine for about 2 months now and I find that the effects last less, but at the same time are more pleasurable. This might be due to the fact that if I don't take the codeine I begin to feel a little off - unco-ordinated, irritable, general aches and pains. One thing may be that there is caffeinne in here too, so perhaps I'm developing a tolerance to cafeinne?. another thing: I don't feel as much nausea any more.
Also, for the last week, my usual doses haven't been doing very much at all so I'm thinking of upping them.
Percocet:
I'll go on a binge (about 5 days) when I can score a prescription
- start out with 2 (daily for about 2 or 3 days - eaten)
- then up it to 3 (eat two - snort 1 for another 2 days)
- then 1 twice a day to taper off (over 2 days)
I find the first 2 days with 2 pills are great. Then I need 3 to get off. And then the one pill twice a day to taper off basically keeps me from getting irritable and keeps the cravings at bay. So I suppose, again, a tolerance develops. Mind though that I'm still quite new to this and my basic tolerance is really low so probably it increases quickly. I'm guessing once its up to a high enough level (say where I need about 15-20mg oxy to just get pleasantly hight) then the rate of increase will lessen

oh .. sorry, I didn't read the part about you being particularly interested in shooting. So yea, I'm not sure if my post above is at all useful. In any case, i'll let it be - mods: feel free to delete if you must.

Tolerance is a weird topic for me, I apparently have quite a high natural tolerance to opiates but also it doesnt seem to diminish over time, This is a BITCH!
I started using (I've only ever really IVed opiates) about 5 years ago, it wasn't in the US & I was mainly using MSTs converted to herion so I have no idea how much that is in terms of bags or grams. It took about 4 months of twice a week using until I reached the plateau I've been on for the past 5ish years, during this time the longest I've gone without using was 6 months. When I did go score I got the same as usual & did get higher than usual but nothing crazy.
I had 6mgs of dilladid after no opiates for 3 months & could've done with another 2 mgs & I snorted 50mgs of oxycontin the other night & got pinned but not really high, so does that give you any idea of my 'steady state level of use'?
Oh, when I'm at home (Where I have regular dealers) I use 3-6 times a week & have only ever been addicted physically once for a period of maybe 2 months (it took 3 months of being high all day every day to get to that stage) even then I didnt go over my set amount much.
[ 17 April 2002: Message edited by: *kell* ]

My tollerance kinda has a maximum level too it seems... say I'm sober for a few weeks (this used to happen but doesn't anymore) .. 20mg of oxycodone [snorted] would get me off, after a few days of this (using 20mg x 4-8 times a day) for maybe 2-3 days I would jump to 40mg [snorted] .. I can kill a few hundred mg's in a day with no problem, yet 40mg always does me good .. of course if I want to nod off a dose I will double it, but it's not out of need...

In my limitied heroin sniffing experience:
The other nite I scored 2 twenties (he told me they were 30's, but I think it was bullshit). Anyways, over the course of the evening from about 5pm to midnite I snorted all of it (that would be too much for somone with no tolerance but I have a decent hydro tolerance).
But I think last nite around 10pm I started feeling the sickness for the first time. It was so bad, just weak, sweaty and shakey. It may have not been that. Today I feel fine, but the sickness can come up quicked than you think.

I can't give much input for IV'ed opiates but here's my experience with opiate tolerance regardless...
I've been taking fiorinal with codeine (30 mg codeine) for menstrual pain for about 4 years now. I only take it for 1-2 days a month, and so you'd think that I wouldn't ever develop a tolerance. Now, I supposedly have a decently high natural opiate tolerance...and I've always had to take more than the recommended dose just to cover my pain. I started out taking 30 mg every 3 hours or so....and I don't know if my pain has gotten worse (it has slightly perhaps, but I don't think an increase in pain entirely explains my increase in dosage) but now I have to take about 60/mg every two hours. So even though I always have about 26 days in between taking my codeine, I do believe I have built up a tolerance over the years.
There have been a few occasions when I've had pain for about a week straight, and in these cases my tolerance shoots up...i.e. on the third day of taking the codeine, I am easily taking 3-4x my normal dose to get the same effects. I even experience some tolerance if I take codeine for two days in a row. It's always amazing to me how damn quickly tolerance develops.

Originally posted by fairnymph:
So even though I always have about 26 days in between taking my codeine, I do believe I have built up a tolerance over the years.There are a number of things that could have contributed to your increased tollerance, but a few days of codeine use over the years isn't going to do it... not that it isn't possible but a more likely explaination is that your brain simply matured to the effects of the drug.. if you have been taking it since your mid-teens, you have changed in many ways since then..
There have been a few occasions when I've had pain for about a week straight, and in these cases my tolerance shoots up...i.e. on the third day of taking the codeine, I am easily taking 3-4x my normal dose to get the same effects. I even experience some tolerance if I take codeine for two days in a row. It's always amazing to me how damn quickly tolerance develops.
THIS is a true an accurate example of tollerance .. but after you go sans opiates for 25+ days thats negated .. some people are simply cursed with a high tollerance..

I seriously don't think that taking codeine for three days would have any effect on anyone's tolerance.
It could be that: a)codeine is a weak pain medicine and possible isn't enough to relieve your pain, b)fiorinal also contains butalbital and barbiturates in low (sub-anesthetic) doses can actually increase your sensitivity and response to pain, c)your menstrual pain is more severe on some days than others, or d) any combination of the above.

In addition zorn is asking about how fast tolerance to the euphoric effects wear off. I doubt he enjoys setting his hand on fire and needs h to make sure it doesn't hurt to much. A researcher in the area has told me that their is a good deal of evidence for differnt rates of sensitization to the differnt effects. It may very well be that there is a euphoria ceiling but not a pain ceiling (actually there isn't a pain ceiling you can always use it as an anastetic)

My opiate use began two years ago with a pair of 5 mg percocets. I was rocked, and I loved it. However, at the time, I was an ecstasy freak and couldn't bother with seeking opiates (my how the tables have turned). I would say that I took percs 2-3 times a week, and only 10 mg at a time. The first time I took three, I was at a whole new level. I had a reverse tolerance issue with codeine where my first few experiences with 3-4 T3's didnt do anything to me. One day I ate three when I was at school and was surprised. It felt like a couple percs.
During the Summer of 2000, I stopped using opiates and didn't start again until November when a kid in my frat sold me his entire perc script. I took them every other day till they were gone (about two weeks). By the end, I was taking four (20 mg oxycodone)at a time. I tried oxycontin for the first time on new years eve. It felt similar to two percs, but I liked the quick onset. From that point until March of last year, I used opiates an average of once a week. It was usually percs or T3's. 15-20 mgs of the first or 150-180 mgs of the second.
Toward the end of March, I bought a script of thrity generic hydrocodone/apap 10/650's that were very nice to me. Every other day or so. When the script was done, I was eating 3-4 at a time. The next week I found some 20 mg oxy's and bought five or six. One night I took 60 mg. It was the most fucked up I had ever been from opiates. I was puking throughout the following day.
Noticing that my tolerance was growing, I decided to take some time off. About five weeks later, I took two percs, and was fucked up just like the first time.
It wasn't until last summer that my use rose steadily. In early June, I found a connection for 160 mg oxy's. I would trade an eighth of kind bud that I bought for forty bucks for 160 mgs of oxy. I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I probably bought five in early June. I took them everyday, starting at 20-30 mgs a day. By the time my supply was done, I was using 40 mgs at a time. For the remainder of the summer, I had a hard time finding much, but still managed to get some oxy for most of the weekends. Sometime in July, Purdue pulled OC 160's from the market. Oh well.
I ordered 120 60 mg dihydrocodeine pills from an online pharmacy (don't ask) in August. They were gone in two weeks. On the morning of September 11, I took three percs and two dihydros before walking out of room to learn that the world was falling apart. It was very weird to watch the trade center towers fall while I was all doped up.
During the fall semester, I spent 1000 dollars on opiates, mostly oxycontin, from a consistent connection at home that I still use to this day. Initially I paid $50 dollars for an eighty. Now I buy in bulk and pay $25.
I used opiates an average of twice a week from September to January of this year. In February, 18 of 28 days were dope days thanks to my oxy connection and a friend that found some opium tincture (Laudanum, 10 mg/ml) and sold a couple bottles to me. By mid-march I was doing oxy at least four days a week, about 120 mgs a day.
Over the last five weeks or so, I have taken oxy about 2 out of every three days, on average, but its never two days on, one day off. It's ten days on, five days off based on when my supply runs out. I've been off for four days now. Last week, I was taking 60-80 mgs of OC at a time and up to 200 mgs a day. Tolerance is a bitch.
I have a question for those who are experienced. At my level of use, what kind of time frame am I looking at for my tolerance to return to baseline, i.e., how long do I have to abstain until two percs rocks me all over again? Probably forever.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For two percs to rock you... I think those days are over for quit some time.. I remember the days when i could eat one 10mg perc and have that awesome warm and fuzzy feeling... I can snort 40mg of oxy and get a buzz, but i cant remember the last time i had that feeling... Even if i havent taken in a couple of months, and i come across a good little two week supply i cant accomplish that feeling... Its sad, but thats opiates...

i have been taking OXYCONTIN for a little over a year now, and i have taken it EVERY DAY, without a days break..i started out taking 10 mgs every 3 hours(crushed up and id drink it up) and that did me good...on the weekendd id take 20-30 mgs and id be nice and high...now, a year later, i STILL take 10 mgs every 3 hours BUT i do not get that same high i used to get at the beginning but i still get a little high from the 10 mgs..i snort now and that gives me more kick than drinking it up..i hear people saying they take 80 mgs every 3 hours just to ward off withdrawal but i think tolerance CAN BE controlled to an extent..i realized the wicked potential of OPIATES when i had a NUBAIN habit, so before i started taking OC's i vowed to keep my tolerance as low as possible..
also, like said above some people are born with a high tolerance to drugs, and i consider myself very lucky to have a very LOW tolerance to drug, especially OPIATES...thank the lord..