• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Oxy detox

Binky7766

Bluelighter
Hi, I’ve been taking 20-25 mgs daily of prescribed Oxycodone for 10 months. Is that considered to be a relatively low number amount of mgs? Should it be fairly easy for me to go cold turkey coming off them? I know tapering is best, but I am asking specifically about cold turkey in this case. I appreciate any and all responses! Thanks!

I don't think you really need a taper, considering u been doing fairly low doses. WHAT U NEED AND THIS IS CRUCIAL ARE SOME COMFORT MEDS. Do this , get ahold of some 50 loperamide pills, gabapentin enough to take 900-1200 ea day for max a week and ofucking course clonazepam as needed.
When u start wding and you're at ur worst or maybe 2 hrs before ur worst take 20mg lope. Also the gabapemtin 300mg, then 300mg after another hr and 300mg after another hr. Use clonaz as needed for no more than a week to sleep an aid for the RLS and to chill the fk down.
2nd day same 20mg loperamide and same with gaba and clonaz.
3rd day just take 10mg lope and start doing just 60pmg gaba, clonaz as needed.
4th day just keep the gaba at 600 for 2 more days same with clonaz until u reach day 7
By day 7 u shud be clean of all and already over the worst.
This is the way I've detoxed from massive intravenous habits, so trust me it works. And ur dependence isn't that bad tbhonest, btw If ucsn get Lyrica instead of gaba it'd be better or diazepam instead of clonazepam. BUT THE LOPERAMIDE IS IMPIRTANT, BRO THIS COMBO GETS RID OF 80% OF UR WDS, I'm not joking. Trust me and yell be fine. Good luck. Let me enjoy ma whisky now xd
Hi, I’ve been taking 20-25 mgs daily of prescribed Oxycodone for 10 months. Is that considered to be a relatively low number amount of mgs? Should it be fairly easy for me to go cold turkey coming off them? I know tapering is best, but I am asking specifically about cold turkey in this case. I appreciate any and all responses! Thanks!

That's a fairly low dose and tbh if you've not been hooked on them before, stopping shouldn't be too bad really!
I would try and detox over time where you don't have work/school/whatever and see how it goes. Maybe have some loperamide handy in case you get the shits and take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

I’m prescribed exactly 80mg of Oxy daily, but there are days I take 100mg -140mgs. I have run out of my script prior to the 30 days before I can get a refill. Tapering is always preferable, but in a few cases, I’ve gone cold turkey and I’ve never had a problem.
I do have Klonopin, Gabapentin, loperamide and lots of fluids if I feel terrible, but it’s yet to happen to me. I once went 16 days without any Oxy and absolutely nothing happened. I really don’t know why, I expected to have a really rough time.

Thank you everyone for your comments! It’s funny, because even though it’s a small dose, I have become really achy, as if I have a horrible flu. Aleve and ibuprofen don’t help at all. I am Also extremely irritable. Where can I get all of these drugs that you speak of such as the Gaba’s? I do already have some lorazepam, but I only have enough for 1 mg per day, and my body is pretty Accustomed to that dose.

Thank you everyone for your comments! It’s funny, because even though it’s a small dose, I have become really achy, as if I have a horrible flu. Aleve and ibuprofen don’t help at all. I am Also extremely irritable. Where can I get all of these drugs that you speak of such as the Gaba’s? I do already have some lorazepam, but I only have enough for 1 mg per day, and my body is pretty Accustomed to that dose.
How many hours/days has it been since your last dose? Did you manage to taper down at all?
Honestly, whilst I fully appreciate the regimen that nznity described, I don't think you'll need to go to that extent at all. You should be fine after a few days cold-turkey, and just using some comfort meds.

The aches and the irritability are to be expected, BUT they should subside in a couple of days. If you can handle a few days of feeling icky, then just do that. Don't try to cover it up with other meds unnecessarily.

Tylenol AND ibuprofen taken together will help, as they potentiate each other, and caffeine will also help, as caffeine potentiates tylenol.

Do NOT increase your dose of lorazepam. That is going to be a waste of your script and honestly it won't be necessary.

Gabapentin is prescription-only in most countries so you would need to get it prescribed by a doctor. For your current situation, I would be highly surprised if any doctor would prescribe it to you. They will probably just tell you to go to bed for a couple of days and ride this out.

Let us know how you're going though. I think you should be fine in a few days <3

My last dose was at 6:00 last night, so it’s been 31 hours. I’m in bed now. The aches I can deal with, and I am very tired, but my body won’t let me sleep. It’s like having restless legs syndrome all over your body. I’m definitely tapered to 3 per at this point. Hi
How many hours/days has it been since your last dose? Did you manage to taper down at all?
Honestly, whilst I fully appreciate the regimen that nznity described, I don't think you'll need to go to that extent at all. You should be fine after a few days cold-turkey, and just using some comfort meds.

The aches and the irritability are to be expected, BUT they should subside in a couple of days. If you can handle a few days of feeling icky, then just do that. Don't try to cover it up with other meds unnecessarily.

Tylenol AND ibuprofen taken together will help, as they potentiate each other, and caffeine will also help, as caffeine potentiates tylenol.

Do NOT increase your dose of lorazepam. That is going to be a waste of your script and honestly it won't be necessary.

Gabapentin is prescription-only in most countries so you would need to get it prescribed by a doctor. For your current situation, I would be highly surprised if any doctor would prescribe it to you. They will probably just tell you to go to bed for a couple of days and ride this out.

Let us know how you're going though. I think you should be fine in a few days <3
My last dose was at 6:00 last night, so it’s been 31 hours. I’m in bed now. The aches I can deal with, and I am very tired, but my body won’t let me sleep. It’s like having restless legs syndrome all over your body. I’m definitely tapered to 3 per at this point.

My last dose was at 6:00 last night, so it’s been 31 hours. I’m in bed now. The aches I can deal with, and I am very tired, but my body won’t let me sleep. It’s like having restless legs syndrome all over your body. I’m definitely tapered to 3 per at this point.
Yes I know this feeling all too well, from opiate withdrawals, benzo withdrawals, alcohol withdrawals, and also from PTSD insomnia and nightmares. Lol and sometimes my husband wonders why/how I occasionally sleep for 48 hours straight, it's because I can never sleep! Then my body just gives in and I sleep for 2 whole days lol

Anyway, 31 hours? You're half-way through the shittiest part already mate. Just stick with it and be brave. Practice some deep breathing and some mindfulness meditation (there are a million apps to help with this, my favourite is called Mindful Attitude and it has a picture of a bonsai tree as the app profile pic).

Another good over-the-counter medication that I've found helps a LOT with withdrawals-related insomnia is doxylamine (in the States it's called Unisom).

Are you experiencing any tummy cramps or diarrhoea yet? Loperamide (Imodium) is over-the-counter and will help with that.

Yes, I definitely have some stomach cramps going on! I did not sleep at all last night due to out of control restless leg syndrome; actually it was more like restless full body syndrome! I got 2 mgs of morphine at the hospital this morning. Not a lot, But do you think that will have set me back? That wasn’t my intention. In any case, I no longer have access to any pills, so I already feel free, even though I still have a ways to go.

I am in day 4 of withdrawal from Oxycodone and there are 2 symptoms that have been driving me crazy when I go to bed at night. Post nasal drip and restless legs/body jerks. I am so, so tired and just want to sleep. Does anyone know how long these 2 symptoms typically stick around?!

It should be over in just a couple of more days. How long were you on it and how many mgs. per day? Benadryl will help with the runny nose and I hear Lyrica or gabapentin works great for RLS.

Oxy has a pretty fast WD and usually the worst is over in 5-7 days.

Did you run out of your script and are just trying to make it to refill day?

I was on it for 10 months. 20-25 mgs daily.
I wanted off the med altogether. I didn’t like feeling like a prisoner of it. When I tried to wean & couldn’t, I knew there was a real problem & I needed to fix it. That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy them. I loved them!
So based on my mgs and amount of time on them, do you still think the restless legs and post nasal drip will be gone in a couple of days?

It should be over in just a couple of more days. How long were you on it and how many mgs. per day? Benadryl will help with the runny nose and I hear Lyrica or gabapentin works great for RLS.

Oxy has a pretty fast WD and usually the worst is over in 5-7 days.

Did you run out of your script and are just trying to make it to refill day?

Yeah, 20 mgs per day is a very small dose. Actually it's about half of what most are prescribed. ( Think 4 10 mg percs per day as a normal script )

Since it's a light daily dose and 10 months really isn't that long ( not like you were on them for 5 years ) you should be coming out the other side any day now.

How are you going to treat your pain now? Or did it go away so you won't need anything. How are you going to deal with the cravings as you say you loved them. ( Yeah, I liked oxy too ).

Good luck, stay strong..you are almost out of the woods.

Yeah, 20 mgs per day is a very small dose. Actually it's about half of what most are prescribed. ( Think 4 10 mg percs per day as a normal script )

Since it's a light daily dose and 10 months really isn't that long ( not like you were on them for 5 years ) you should be coming out the other side any day now.

How are you going to treat your pain now? Or did it go away so you won't need anything. How are you going to deal with the cravings as you say you loved them. ( Yeah, I liked oxy too ).

Good luck, stay strong..you are almost out of the woods.
Percs, those are my fav! Me and opiates go way back. I discovered them when I was 20-something and pulled out my back. I’m 55 now and still fighting my love for them. Since I’ve been successful in my past tapers (including benzo tapers), I didn’t think there’d be an issue.

I no longer need them for pain now, so I’ll be fine in that regard.

I remember how it was in the past, thinking about opiates on a daily basis, for years! I dealt with it and It’s good that they’re no longer so easy to get! Maybe I’ll have a tougher time this time; if so, I will seek out therapy. I actually signed myself into a detox facility last Tuesday, & out the next day! It was a disaster with Covid related issues.

Thank you sooo much for your replies; they have helped!

Percs, those are my fav! Me and opiates go way back. I discovered them when I was 20-something and pulled out my back. I’m 55 now and still fighting my love for them. Since I’ve been successful in my past tapers (including benzo tapers), I didn’t think there’d be an issue.

I no longer need them for pain now, so I’ll be fine in that regard.

I remember how it was in the past, thinking about opiates on a daily basis, for years! I dealt with it and It’s good that they’re no longer so easy to get! Maybe I’ll have a tougher time this time; if so, I will seek out therapy. I actually signed myself into a detox facility last Tuesday, & out the next day! It was a disaster with Covid related issues.

Thank you sooo much for your replies; they have helped!
My pleasure. You sound just like me with my opioid journey. Congrats on getting well and good luck to you.

Hey @Binky7766 I'm gonna merge this with your other Oxy WDs thread if that's okay.

You are doing really well man, please stay strong and know that this will all be over soon and you will feel better <3