• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Talk Thread 2022-2023 v. Year of the Phenethylamine

I've been singing for a long time and haven't gotten much better 😹 some songs I nail, other songs it's more like nails on a chalkboard.
It's a matter of figuring how how to make your vocals cool, nvm mind "good singing" (though it never hurts). It's more important that vocals are charismatic.
@unodelacosa yeah gypsy jazz is an apt description. Usually I'm a guitar player (19 years) only started playing keyboard seriously maybe 4-5 years ago. Coincidentally, the Greek people known as the Lydians lived in Anatolia (modern day Turkey), and Phrygian Dominant is of course the most "Egyptian" sounding mode. So a piece of music that combines tonality from the two regions is very "gypsy" in a meta way haha. And yeah, then those passing chromatic notes. Was definitely channeling some gypsy.
It's interesting how the etymology of the term "Gypsy" comes from "Egyptian". We should probably note: the word Gypsy is now sometimes considered derogatory or offensive, and has been replaced in many official contexts by "Romani" or "Roma", though it remains the most widely used term for members of this community among English speakers. But besides that, I don't think Phrygian Dominant is the traditional Egyptian scale. I believe it's a pentatonic scale that runs along the same notes as Dorian, less two. In the key of C, the Egyptian scale goes C, D, F, G, B♭. It's not as exotic sounding as the Klezmer

Speaking of, I've been meaning to look up why the modes are all named after specific Greek tribes. Might help me finally remember which name goes to which mode without having to look up and remind myself haha. I have some of them memorized but not all.
The modes were named after towns in Greece where certain modes were associated to specific towns, only it was done incorrectly back in the 16th century in an effort to be accessible and available to Gregorian chanting monks. That mislabelling persisted through the dawn of western classic music which of course influences the understanding of modern western music theory.

The modes aren't difficult to memorize if you think of each mode as being built from one of the seven notes in a diatonic scale. For example in the key of C, they are:

C – Ionian – CDEFGAB
D – Dorian – DEFGABC
E – Phrygian – EFGABCD
F – Lydian – FGABCDE
G – Mixolydian – GABCDEF
A – Aeolian – ABCDEFG
B – Locrian – BCDEFGA

Last edited:
Hey guys, it's time for the new LAVA photo contest! If you haven't participated before, please consider doing so! It's fun, and it's more fun the more people participate. :)

Speaking of, I've been meaning to look up why the modes are all named after specific Greek tribes. Might help me finally remember which name goes to which mode without having to look up and remind myself haha. I have some of them memorized but not all.

If you want to remember the names of them, and which order they go in, may I submit my high school friend's method of remembering (which I had someone else tell me on the other side of the country, somehow):

IIonian
DiedDorian
PissingPhrygian
Like (a)Lydian
MexicanMixolydian
AppleAeolian
LoggerLocrian

Works for me ;)

If the extra "a" confuses you, it could be "I died pissing like mexican apple loggers"

It could also be a lot of other things but for whatever reason, the humor involved in that ridiculous phrase seems to help me remember.

If you remember the order of the names, then you will also remember how many steps up the scale to start in order to be in that mode. Keeping in mind that the first one (Ionian) is just the regular scale as you're used to.

Been very sober since dmt. And alot more happy. I think it had positive effects on my brain even thought I didn't get any revelations on the breakthrough.

I don't waste much time on the internet anymore.

I think it gain me a sense of empathy for other humans that I use to lack aswell.

IIonian
DiedDorian
PissingPhrygian
Like aLydian
MexicanMixolydian
AppleAeolian
LoggerLocrian
IDPLMAL
Intelligent Design Phrased Like a Martial Arts Lecture
I Didn't Plan, Like My Asshole Lawyer
Irate Doctors Phreaked Little Madrid After Lunch
Imbibe Drug Pudding Like My Aunt Lizzo
I Don't Party Like My Artificial Life
Indulge Doctor Phrygian Leaving My Art Loft
Irrigate Down Past Low Makeshift Alabaster Levee

Or I see it like:
  • Ionian starts with "I" which is the first person pronoun and Roman numeral 1. So it makes sense it's first. This is aka: "major".
  • Dorian starts with D and in the key of C, it's the second note in the diatonic scale, and the second mode.
  • Phrygian is one of two modes with a flat 2, the other being Locrian but that has a diminished fifth.
  • Lydian – sharp 4
  • Mixolydian – flat 7
  • Aeolian – the minor key and it starts with "A", and in the key of C major, A is the relative minor, so this makes sense.
  • Locrian – which comes last but its fifth is diminished.

Used to love nerding out on music theory. Hell, I composed the themesong for someone's youtube channel, and even got paid for it. But music just isn't the same ever since tinnitus.

Just plodding through academics at the moment. I'm doing distance learning, so it should all be geared toward career people rather than the college kids bracket.. still it manages to all feel so sillily inefficient and infantile. But without stable mood I can't put the needed shoulders under indepedent projects, no matter how many skills I pack.

I'm glad I'm getting near-maximum scores on even the difficult courses. It's troubling though that the teachers assigned to the courses don't seem to give a shit about actually answering cogent questions. They just scan for keywords, and ramble off their templates. Low-effort responses generate the metadata the academy judges them by I suppose, while quite effectively discouraging further questions hence minimizing their work load. Just ye olde bureaucratic nonsense.. but it makes getting a backup degree so much more isolating an experience if you can't even have a proper online human connection about what you're filling your day with.

But all the shitty busy-ness is the easy part. Once enough courses are finished as to create gaps in the schedule, that's when I'll run out of reasons not to get back on the empty calorie RC dissociatives train. That's gonna be the hard part.

But music just isn't the same ever since tinnitus.
Possibly relevant and/or an excuse to use MDMA (as if you needed one) ☞ New Zealand Researchers to Study ‘Ecstasy’ Drug for Tinnitus Treatment

but it makes getting a backup degree so much more isolating an experience if you can't even have a proper online human connection about what you're filling your day with.
Perhaps lower your expectations a bit? Having a degree is oftentimes more ostentatious than useful. "Grin and bear it" is almost always the name of the game there…

Besides what is a "proper online human connection" exactly anyways, and is that not fulfilled by your fellow Bluelighters here on BL? 🤟😝

Hey, thanks for caring. Alas, tinnitus is more of a symptom than a syndrome, catch-all approaches are all longshots. I've written a multi-page thread about it somewhere here on PD. Nobody cared about all the details, but serotonergics are generally awful for a broken inner ear. Yes, plenty of substances that render one complacent towards torture, but psychological fixes that worsen the physiological aspects.. that's a positive feedback situation one might want to avoid, at least with certain mental and tinnitus-etiological variables. And I don't like MDMA anyway, believe it or not!

Would you generally advise lowering expectations to people not receiving the services they pay for? Doesn't make sense to me. Yes, I do have you wonderful people, but it is a drug forum. Being here always makes me think drugs. Sometimes that's helpful, sometimes it's not. Every moment of "silence" I'm reminded of the latter.

I've been having these pretty heavy 'foggy' days sometimes. Like I'm experiencing everything through this thick fog, like an MDMA hangover. I read that it's like a bipolar thing (brain fog), but nobody really describes it as I experience it.

Nothing like high rep, heavy squats to SHOCK the system though, amazing, clearer and better.

Yeah, working out literally helps everything. It's really hard to convince/motivate yourself to start, if you never have or haven't for a long time, but then once you've done it for a few days, you're like "why haven't I always done this??"

I need to get back to it bad. I keep saying that, but... I dunno.

I've had the most brutal fatigue today. I haven't been sleeping well lately.

I don't know. When I run so hard that I go mental, the rage carries over into the rest of the day.

Can't deny the biophysical perks, but at the same time it's clearly no panacea.

I've written a multi-page thread about it somewhere here on PD. Nobody cared about all the details
Stop Motion Gif Artist GIF by RayFChang
Pity Party Whining GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

but serotonergics are generally awful for a broken inner ear. Yes, plenty of substances that render one complacent towards torture, but psychological fixes that worsen the physiological aspects.. that's a positive feedback situation one might want to avoid, at least with certain mental and tinnitus-etiological variables. And I don't like MDMA anyway, believe it or not!
Yeah I can believe it. It's not my favorite drug and not a drug I'm interested in doing alone. I like to do it with an entourage of people all rolling; it's can be a lot of fun like that. The next day is some shit though, but ya gotta take the good with the bad sometimes…

Anyway I was aiming for a bit of levity and also presented it as "possibly relevant". I didn't mean to imply I had just found some Holy Grail panacea for all your ailments, &c. Ya dig?

Would you generally advise lowering expectations to people not receiving the services they pay for?
I'm not doling out advice here; please note I said "perhaps". And I'm sorry, I know this is cynical of me, but me personally? I'm not at all surprised by the frustrating lack of human pulse you might discover in the academic-industrial complex.

Doesn't make sense to me. Yes, I do have you wonderful people, but it is a drug forum.
I was kind of just joking. Lighten up a little, man ;) Don't take this shit too seriously. No one gets out of this alive, you know?

Being here always makes me think drugs.
I wonder why… :LOL: … but seriously, don't let it get you down.

One love, my guy.

Last edited:
I haven't been sleeping well lately.
That’s because you need to work out. Just do it, and contemplate it later. For now, exercise your assigned primate homo sapiens sapiens.

It’s funny but working out daily is a good habit I picked up from prison.

Just learned that many of the 2C drugs have been shown to be neurotoxic in cultured neuronal cell lines. Surprisingly, I think most or all of the 2Cs that they tested were more neurotoxic than MDMA. Wonder how this compares to in vivo toxicity...I wonder if this explains the headache I get from 2ce/2cb?
I also wonder if maybe it's not that big of a deal to kill some brain cells. Pretty sure alcohol is neurotoxic as well.

Last edited: