• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Philly’s health chief backs restricting xylazine, the animal tranquilizer in city opioids

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

Philly’s health chief backs restricting xylazine, the animal tranquilizer in city opioids

Aubrey Whelan
Philadelphia Inquirer
4 Mar 2023

Excerpt:
Philadelphia’s health commissioner says her department supports new Food and Drug Administration restrictions around shipments of xylazine, the veterinary tranquilizer that’s contaminated most of the city’s illicit opioid supply — and has been advocating for classifying the drug as a controlled substance.

Commissioner Cheryl Bettigole’s remarks came a day after the department issued a statement from its harm-reduction division, raising concerns about the implications of the FDA’s decision, which was announced earlier this week.

That statement said the department understood the FDA’s new restrictions, which would allow agents to more closely scrutinize and detain shipments of xylazine, were “motivated by concern for the welfare of people who use drugs.”

But, the statement continued, the division was concerned that if xylazine were to disappear from the drug supply, it would send people addicted to it into serious withdrawal. Because xylazine is not an opioid, many doctors are only just beginning to learn how to treat its withdrawal symptoms — severe chills, agitation, and anxiety.

In the statement and a subsequent interview Friday, staffers said they were also concerned that the move could lead dealers to introduce newer, unfamiliar, and possibly more potent drugs to the city’s illicit supply to get around restrictions on xylazine.

Seems like the more they try to close routes so many more open. Just seems like a lost battle to me but ODs are not handled through throwing money around and legislation, IMO.
But PA in general I think is under a serious risk with these multi-chem ODs but Philly...? Hands down they got it bad.

Seems like the more they try to close routes so many more open. Just seems like a lost battle to me but ODs are not handled through throwing money around and legislation, IMO.
But PA in general I think is under a serious risk with these multi-chem ODs but Philly...? Hands down they got it bad.
Seems to me the only solution is legalization and regulation. Should be able to get pharmaceutical grade opiates under a doctor’s supervision and control.

I currently live in Kensington and you can't buy any dope that doesn't have xylazine in it. And worst off we are addicted to the tranq now and the withdrawal from it is 100 times worse then dope Nd or fentynal. Its terrible. And thr tranq causes these deep sores that take forever to heal. Not to mention its causing people to have a wicked hard time to hit when shooting up. Its horrible.

Man I was up in PA not long ago just picking up some wheels I bought on eBay. Seriously it’s so beautiful there. People were extremely friendly too. I’m sort of from the south so obviously stuck out but damn they treated me well

Peckville or something.

Oh and I stopped in this one little town called Tyrone. It was freaking straight out of a movie. Nothing but young people there out doing there thing in like a Wednesday at 930pm. Such a cool small town vibe I would live there for sure

Wow what a waste of effort and time.

The xylazine that is in the drug supply isn't diverted from the same supply that goes to veterinary clinics. And it certainly doesn't come from the xylazine used at veterinary clinics from within the same city said drugs are found. All this does is cause a headache for veterinarians and drive up drug prices.

Same in certain areas of NY and all over NJ as far as i know....this chick promised me her fent had no tranq in it but then I got these huge sores that kinda looked like my skin was melted inward, and then the sores got black and crusty and now I'm not sure wtf to do..so, in the past, withdrawing from heroin was a joke compared to fentanyl, but trust me when I felt heroin withdrawal for the 1st time it was the worst pain/heat/cold/tremors/anxiety/literal physical pain and restless legs and back (I think I made up the term "restless back", but if you don't understand what it means, consider urself very lucky)...anyways my point is u thought fentanyl withdrawal was unbearable and took so much longer than dope, let me warn u: tranq is like impossible to get off of. If any1 has any tricks, ideas, other drugs/pills/meds that might help me withdraw from this nasty shit, plzZzz lmk. 💓

I currently live in Kensington and you can't buy any dope that doesn't have xylazine in it. And worst off we are addicted to the tranq now and the withdrawal from it is 100 times worse then dope Nd or fentynal. Its terrible. And thr tranq causes these deep sores that take forever to heal. Not to mention its causing people to have a wicked hard time to hit when shooting up. Its horrible.
I was in complete and utterly shocked when I first stumbled across YouTube vids in Kensington, I’m in cali and thought skid row was bad but holy shit.
The ppl out there need sooo much help. Especially since tranq made its way into literally EVERYTHING there! Sepsis, MRSA, Amputations and more. Why aren’t the people in power doing somethin?

I was in complete and utterly shocked when I first stumbled across YouTube vids in Kensington, I’m in cali and thought skid row was bad but holy shit.
The ppl out there need sooo much help. Especially since tranq made its way into literally EVERYTHING there! Sepsis, MRSA, Amputations and more. Why aren’t the people in power doing somethin?
Because it costs them less in a direct way to not do anything. Of course it costs more with public health funds and whatnot in the longrun but politicians are notoriously shortsighted

Xylazine has been in the Philly/badlands dope supply for, I’d guess atleast 10–15 years now, well before the current fentanyl crisis we’re dealing with now.

The biggest issue I see is the lack of real heroin. The top 2-3 dime sets that I thought would never switch to synthetics, to the best of my current knowledge, have all made the switch in the past 5-6 years or so. And all that is likely cut with xylazine for the most part.

Stay good folks
Always, fair winds and following seas

Ha he’s because restrictions on drugs makes them stop being available. Is this mayor mentally disabled ?

Is it the government's responsibility to babysit adults that knowingly inject substances of dubious content and provenance into themselves on a regular basis, while at the same time not keeping up any reasonable semblance of personal hygiene?

The only thing that's going to solve this issue is if a bunch of dealers and kingpins ended up dead when they push bad dope.