• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Psilocybin and trip anxiety

Are mushroom trips more prone to anxiety than other psychedelics?

• YES, they do

Votes: 174 61.7%
  • NO, they do not

Votes: 108 38.3%

• Total voters
Negatory. I'd actually say that I get a more "all good" vibe on Shrooms than I do on LSD. LSD you have to work to stay happy sometimes. Shrooms are always to a friendly, familiar, safe place (even if it's extremely intense and "foreign")

I think shrooms are actually in some ways easier to manage.

You people that do find them anxiety inducing? Did you ever take them very frequently, or was it always like that?

In my younger days, along with friends it was possible on a good day to get several thousand liberty caps from an afternoons picking. That meant that we all developed a snout & curly pink tail to some extent when it vame to mushrooms (one friend actually found his body physically rejected mushrooms as he could not initiate the swallow reflex with a mouth full of mushroom tea).

I think that classes as overindulgence!

mushrooms have caused the best and worst feelings (physically mentally and emotionally) that i have ever felt.
ive taken them and had an amazing time and then ive had bad trips that felt at the time like i wanted to literally kill myself to stop the trip (and i tried to!)

Jamshyd said:
EDIT: ok, after Don's reply, I'm going to have to request the wording of question be changed to "are mushroom trips more prone to anxiety than other psychedelics"?

If it was worded "... more prone to anxiety than most other psychedelics" I would have voted yes. There are others that routinely cause me just as much or more anxiety. MGS's reports on DPT gave me a good bit of anxiety. ;) "The fear" ... after reading that I thought there was no way in hell I'd ever try it. It is a powerful substance though.

It's not the actual drug that gives me anxiety ... my first shroom trip was 100% anxiety free. It was only when I learned how confusing and disorienting a mushroom trip could be that it started giving me some pre-trip anxiety. Even then, it was only when I hadn't adequately prepared my mindset beforehand. During the trip (once I'm past the come-up) shrooms have never caused me any uncomfortable anxiety. Then again, I've never had a "bad trip" so maybe that's why.

The last time I took mushrooms was about a year ago, when I was not yet to the point I am at now regarding psychedelic come-ups, and even a low dose caused more anxiety during the come-up than I've felt in a long time. These days I'm finding myself not very prone at all to anxiety, from come-ups or any other source. In my opinion it is almost entirely psychosomatic, but very difficult to avoid until you've become very accustomed to the transition between sobriety and psychedelia.

That being said, I do think that mushrooms are the psychedelic that I've experienced with the greatest tendency to cause anxiety. I think it's a combination of the very fast and mentally intense come-up into one of the most profoundly altered (IMO) mind states available, along with the intense physical buzz that they produce. I've noticed over the years that anxiety generally manifests itself physically around the solar plexus area, and when a person feels that kind of nervous energy there, it's associated with anxiety.

Anyway, mushrooms were the first psychedelic I tried and also the only one for a good two years, and back then, they made me so anxious on the come-up that I was pretty terrified of them. Still today, they're the psychedelic that makes me the most nervous, and I definitely take them very seriously, which is why I hardly ever use them despite them being my most revered psychedelic. Fortunately, I've found that if you hold your head up above the initial anxiety, once you pass the peak, the anxiety dissipates entirely, leaving you in a very pleasurable, enjoyable, and uninhibited state.

Dondante said:
It's not the actual drug that gives me anxiety ... my first shroom trip was 100% anxiety free. It was only when I learned how confusing and disorienting a mushroom trip could be that it started giving me some pre-trip anxiety

Interesting observation. Come to think of it, my first trip (which was on mushrooms) was totally anxiety-free as well, and a full-on +4, total spiritual revelation, the likes of which I've never encountered again. It was only after that that I began feeling anxiety from them.

In any case, once you get past the psychosomatic baggage, mushrooms provide one of the most holy and joyful experiences and vibes that I've ever encountered. But that come-up can be rough and takes a lot of willpower to overcome.

Back in the day they produced more anxxiety in me than anyother psychedelic.

However the last couple times i did them i wsa fine.
Perhaps its time i take that heroic dose iv always been so scared of.

7g here i come.

Mushrooms are the only psychedelic I've tried where I never feel any anxiety at all. They have a sedating/dreamy quality to them that is very calming. I do find mushrooms to be less spiritual for me then some of the other psychs. I've tried. It seems the poor little buggers try so hard but I have trouble taking what it's teaching me all that seriously. I guess I need the experience to be intense in order to learn something from it.

Do you guys think that 4-HO-MIPT/Miprocin has this same quality to it? Does this RC induce as much anxiety as mushrooms usually do? Or more? Or less? What do you guys think of this RC, anxiety/badtrip-wise, compared to mushrooms?

I voted YES because psilocybin is the psychedelic that has given me the most anxiety when i use it.

jketiynu said:
Mushrooms are the only psychedelic I've tried where I never feel any anxiety at all. They have a sedating/dreamy quality to them that is very calming. I do find mushrooms to be less spiritual for me then some of the other psychs. I've tried. It seems the poor little buggers try so hard but I have trouble taking what it's teaching me all that seriously. I guess I need the experience to be intense in order to learn something from it.

I find it surprising that you don't find mushrooms intense. Personally I have found very few psychedelics indeed that are as intense as mushrooms for me. Additionally, there's nothing that's been more spiritual to me than the mushroom, although I haven't tried ayahuasca or broken through with smoked DMT yet.

jketiynu said:

I also tend to find psilocybin less effective after learning what a good dose of 4-ho-mipt or 4-aco-mipt can do. I now take far higher doses of psilocybin than I used to to accheive the same level of effects.

Xorkoth said:
I find it surprising that you don't find mushrooms intense. Personally I have found very few psychedelics indeed that are as intense as mushrooms for me. Additionally, there's nothing that's been more spiritual to me than the mushroom, although I haven't tried ayahuasca or broken through with smoked DMT yet.

I know I seem to be in the minority. It's weird. No matter how crazy the experience gets in terms of visuals/body load/insights it never strikes me as being intense or gives me any anxiety (for the record I've done up to 4.6g potent Cubensis).
LSD, on the other hand, had me completely anxiety ridden at what I would guess to be around a 120ug dose. So, ymmv.

Shrooms have a very anxiety-prone come-up. If I'm around a group of people, I often need to be left alone for a few while I fully come up. Once I peak, it's a world of difference - everything is wonderful and beautiful.

I consider the anxiety a part of the intensity and inherent evil that makes up shrooms. Honestly, I wouldn't want it without it. I learn by FAR the most during the come-up. That is where I feel the farthest from reality, so it provides the most comfort even while I am cursing myself for putting this drug in me.

The day after shrooms I always get very depressed. Called my mom crying once. But that's also a very important part of it for me, it helps me realize the importance of family; a recurring theme with my psychedelic use.

So, yes, I get anxiety and curse myself for taking the shrooms at one point or another, but I always end up realizing the anxiety is a part of it and worth it.

For me it comes in at about fourth

1.DPT
(if you sampled you probably know what I'm talking about)

2.5-MeO-DMT

3.salvia
(only on the come down/reflection period)

4.psilocybin/psilocin
(on a decent dose I usually end up having to go for a walk but I still really enjoy them on occasion)

5.DMT
(very odd that mushrooms tend to mess with me a little more then it but for some reason I feel more comfortable in comparison)

ive never had anxiety on mushrooms during the trip or during the come up stage

mushies make me too happy to get anxious

trip.more: I think I feel about DPT the same way many people feel about 5-MeO-DMT, ie. it blows you away long before you can say "anxiety" ;)

It is very much the drawn out, sado-masochistic, come-up nature of mushrooms that probably caused me to feel so horrid.

I find the mushrooms to be quite anxiety-free, since the first high dose I've done (well actually I never went that high 4g is the most i've done). The one that makes me really anxious is 2c-c, and 5-meo-mipt being close second. With DPT I've done only small doses so far and i've had nothing much of anxiety (25mg), though I look forward to trying higher 'cause i loved it.

Jamshyd said:
trip.more: I think I feel about DPT the same way many people feel about 5-MeO-DMT, ie. it blows you away long before you can say "anxiety" ;)

It is very much the drawn out, sado-masochistic, come-up nature of mushrooms that probably caused me to feel so horrid.

Yeah with mushrooms it's not so much the come up but the peak that I find so uneasy.DPT and 5-MeO-DMT cause me to get extremely shaky/tense at lower dosages, so much so that if I feel it I can't grab the lighter to vaporize another hit.On breakthrough dosages it's the comedown that makes me feel awkward but not so much that I haven't come appreciate both. :)

Just out of curiousity, why are you needing to vaporize a chem while you're under the influence?

I've found things work much better/efficient if you take all of the chemical on board at once (think big tokes!) and then put away the utensils and lay back. Especially 5-MeO-DMT, your breakthrough (if it comes) will not be as hyperspatial if you've staggered your dose (tolerance, diminished peak plasma levels, etc).

Lungs are a bit weak and smoking tryptamines makes me feel like I'm about to cough one out.I don't always have enough time to inhale the full dose between coughs.=D