• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Questions about Methadone

mhansen43

Bluelighter
I just posted about going on methadone a little while ago but I have another question but I'll sum it up before my question, my husband and I are getting into methadone on Monday we have about a 4 to 5 bundle a day habit (we snort it) and we've been addicted for around 12 years. It wasn't until recently that we went from 1 bun a day right into 4, 5, up to 8 bundles a day because of all the back pay we got from unemployment (I know that wasn't the best way to use our money but let's not focus on that right now) my question is I'm so scared they are just going to give us a low dose and send us in our way and then we are fucked until we can get another one the next day. How does it work, do they start you are a certain dose and watch you and keep giving you more until you feel better or do they just give you a certain amount and send you home and then you have to deal with it until you can let them know it wasn't enough the next day? I've been through withdraw so many times and precipitated withdraw and the thought alone sends me into a panic attack so I just want to know what we are in for. Thanks in advance!

What they will almost certainly do is start you on a certain amount, then increase that amount every so many days until you tell them to stop.

In my experience, depending on what your habit is, they will start you on up to 30, perhaps 40mg,and increase by 5mg every 2-4 days with 3 being the most common.

Depending on your habit, the first couple days might be mildly uncomfortable, but there shouldn't be any especially bad withdrawal.

You might be feeling kinda meh by the time for your next dose for the first week, but it won't by that unable to get comfortable every second is agony kind of withdrawal. At worst it'll probably be more the feeling of very cold, runny nose, really want heroin kind of feeling. And there's no risk of precipitated withdrawal with methadone.

Good luck. I really do think it's worth it for some people. Like, for some people they seem to do better going for full sobriety and leaving drugs behind, but for others.... Well I have absolutely zero doubt that I'd have kept using probably till I was dead or in jail without methadone.

When I started the methadone clinic. They started at 35 and you went up I think 10 milligrams each day until I was comfortable but also where I live there are 3 different clinics in are town and two of them are private and the other one is state owned. The state owned one it cost a lot cheaper you have to go to groups to stay on the clinic and they do It slowly bring you up on your dose. I went to the private clinic.

When I started the methadone clinic. They started at 35 and you went up I think 10 milligrams each day until I was comfortable but also where I live there are 3 different clinics in are town and two of them are private and the other one is state owned. The state owned one it cost a lot cheaper you have to go to groups to stay on the clinic and they do It slowly bring you up on your dose. I went to the private clinic.
We are going to a state place like they only accept state insurance I have it my husband doesn't so he is paying out of pocket even though he has great insurance through work, Capital Blue Cross of whatever but they straight up told him they don't accept any other insurance except state insurance and we do have to attend groups and shit but right now it was the closest and fastest place to get into. I knew going in they wouldn't just give us a super high dose but I really hope they take into consideration the amount we are using and try to give us as much as they could for the first day. But I guess any relief will be better then straight up withdraw. Thanks for the replies

We are going to a state place like they only accept state insurance I have it my husband doesn't so he is paying out of pocket even though he has great insurance through work, Capital Blue Cross of whatever but they straight up told him they don't accept any other insurance except state insurance and we do have to attend groups and shit but right now it was the closest and fastest place to get into. I knew going in they wouldn't just give us a super high dose but I really hope they take into consideration the amount we are using and try to give us as much as they could for the first day. But I guess any relief will be better then straight up withdraw. Thanks for the replies
Hell no I didn’t go to the state place I paid $14 a day for methadone at the state place it’s $8 and if you don’t have the money they still dose you they wanted me to go to groups like all day at the state place and I couldn’t do it. I had to work