Recruiting RESEARCH VOLUNTEERS: Healthy heroin users

RESEARCH VOLUNTEERS
Heroin users (men and women, ages 18-55) are needed for an inpatient research study investigating medication effects at the NY State Psychiatric Institute. Earn between $1200 and $2300. Call the Substance Use Research Center at (646) 774-6243.

Additional Details Below:
  • This study has been approved by the New York State Psychiatric Institute IRB.
  • This study seeks to examine the effects of vaped marijuana on naloxone-precipitated opioid withdrawal and requires a 3-week inpatient stay at the NY State Psychiatric Institute.
  • A full description of the study can be found on Clinical Trials.gov https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05114460
  • The study began recruitment in FEB 2022 and plans to complete enrollment in 2 years.

Last edited:
Hey there, welcome to bluelight, could you please read the following info and include some more information for the users you would like to take part in your study. Ethics approval needs to be stated for example.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or one of the other forum moderators.

Given that this is an inpatient study, I would also suggest that you put the length of the clinic stay near the top so so that potential participants can know what sort of time commitment is required. We’d appreciate it if you’d add in the other information listed in the guidelines as well, but I especially want to emphasize that one.

Thanks and welcome to Bluelight!

Given that this is an inpatient study, I would also suggest that you put the length of the clinic stay near the top so so that potential participants can know what sort of time commitment is required. We’d appreciate it if you’d add in the other information listed in the guidelines as well, but I especially want to emphasize that one.

Thanks and welcome to Bluelight!
Hello, Please see the additional information I added. Thanks

It will be interesting to see the results of this. My prediction is little benefit and possibly significant adverse effects. A small number of people on BL detoxing opiates have reported much benefit from cannabis. May provide some physical comfort, but it’s also likely to exacerbate psychological symptoms.

So your planning on stabilizing a participant on 120mg of morphine and initiating precipitated withdrawal every 48 hours for weeks looking into a treatment that has shown very little success . Good luck getting participants for this. Sounds like it will be Hellish.

@OpioidResearch@Columbia. What conditions should participants expect at the facility?

Edit: Just going to add in that my knowledge of this comes from over 20 years as a Master Cannabis Cultivator, years of being a medical mj caregiver, 10 plus years completely clean off opiates after successfully detoxing methadone, participation and observation in 1000’s of opiate detox threads and dozens of opiate detox comfort medication threads during almost 10 years on BL.

Edit 2: Id consider running a CBD along with this.

Last edited:
FUCK THAT, seriously, that sounds horrible, so their going to shoot up heroin addicts with narcan, wait for them to start shitting themselves and screaming/crying, then hand them a joint, and ask them how much it helped? Your going to need to pay them a hell of a lot more for this

FUCK THAT, seriously, that sounds horrible, so their going to shoot up heroin addicts with narcan, wait for them to start shitting themselves and screaming/crying, then hand them a joint, and ask them how much it helped? Your going to need to pay them a hell of a lot more for this
I really hate how smoking weed smoke into your lungs is now this healthy thing that cures literally every single disease on the planet. It’s getting tired.

This sounds more like torture than a study. There is no way in hell I would ever subject myself to naloxone induced opioid withdrawal again. It was by far the most painful few days of withdrawal I've ever had my life. It's only saving grace was that I was so delusional with fever dreams that I was only half aware of reality. I hate to rain on this study's parade but I don't see vaped marijuana helping all that much. Plus now we're talking about displacing fentanyl. Good luck with all that.

Edit..... I'm sorry I was thinking Naltrexone. , which lasts two days. I guess an hr of naloxone wouldn't be too horrible. Marijuana still isn't gonna help much if you fully displace the receptors.

Are you guys giving people another opioid to substitute the testing of the naloxone induced displacement? Ah, just saw your going to stabilize on 120mg morphine, which is going to be extremely difficult to do with some people's fentanyl habits. That in itself sounds horrible and could take up a good portion of the 2 weeks. These participants are going to probably be very uncomfortable(in withdrawal) the entire time.

Better have some cleaning materials on hand because last time I got naloxone I puked on both nurses on each side as they were trying to hold down my violently spasming body and yes I did evacuate my bowels. Good times.... I wouldn't have even been able to hold a marijuana vape, much less take a hit of it.

Last edited:
Weed always made my WD 10x worse. Should pay more for torturing people.
Agree weed makes opioid withdrawal worse imo.
Getting high on weed had caused me to abandons the withdrawal and relapse due to the increased withdrawal symptoms the weed created